• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
She could be an Aasimar, even though they aren't covering Aasimar in the PHB. After all, not all Aasimar have blonde hair and blue eyes.
I don’t especially see how being an aasimar really effects much of anything about what i said, especially given i stated i was going right over ignoring the aspect of the divine associated colour design, even if they are an aasimar if they’re a wizard casting wizard magic their magic should look like a wizard is casting it.

I like the art, it’s cool art, but it doesn’t feel wizard to me, skipping right over the fact that white and gold together are much more associated as divine colours, between the glowing eyes, all the floating (herself, her staff AND the surrounding books) and the pose, this all feels way too wild and unrestrained to feel like it embodies DnDs presented concept of wizard who mastered this magic through extensive study and learning and who has it under their complete control, this feel more like a sorcerer channeling sheer raw power for their purposes.
So Saruman the White, Gandalf the White, one third of all the wizards on Krynn, and any wizard wearing a Robe of the Good Archmagi are not wearing proper uniform?

I think you’ve been playing to much MtG mate!

I don’t especially see how being an aasimar really effects much of anything about what i said, especially given i stated i was going right over ignoring the aspect of the divine associated colour design, even if they are an aasimar if they’re a wizard casting wizard magic their magic should look like a wizard is casting it.
I'm of the idea that some aspects of a spellcaster's personality and background do influence and resonate with how their magic appears, even in the "magical science" such as wizardry.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The biggest part that I don't get about this whole argument is: This is just one wizard out of all the wizards in all the worlds of D&D. To me, that means that she could look like just about anything anyone could ever possibly choose to roll-up as their PC. She certainly fits into THAT.

I mean, as much as people might not like it, Stryxhaven IS one of the D&D worlds. She looks like a Magic Card? So what? She could literally be from a Magic Card world! This isn't YOUR campaign, or YOUR character - it's someone else's.

And as far as the shoulder pads go - fashion does stupid things. Maybe some recent queen in her setting had weak shoulders and now anyone who's anyone wears stupid shoulder pads to emulate her. In the real world, Samurai used to shave bald patches onto their heads for fashion. How dumb is that?

Don't get me started on the dumb stuff people wore in history (or even today).

You don't have to like what she's wearing. Some people who live in the same society as her probably don't like what she's wearing!

Last edited:

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I'm of the idea that some aspects of a spellcaster's personality and background do influence and resonate with how their magic appears, even in the "magical science" such as wizardry.
It is official that individuality alters the appearance of spells, such as Spell Thematics in Tashas.

Also, different Wizards prefer different spells and use them for different purposes.

A Wizard who is content with their prepared spells wont need a spellbook.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
So Saruman the White, Gandalf the White, one third of all the wizards on Krynn, and any wizard wearing a Robe of the Good Archmagi are not wearing proper uniform?

I think you’ve been playing to much MtG mate!
I never said that, but you can’t deny that white and gold together have long been used in reference to divine forces.

Having played too much magic sure is an achievement given I’ve played none and know basically nothing of it.
Sure but there’s also a limit isn’t there? So like i said, the divine colour isn’t even the main issue, the use of the magic feels way too wild and unrestrained for a wizard.

And as far as the shoulder pads go - fashion does stupid things. Maybe some recent queen in her setting had weak shoulders and now anyone who's anyone wears stupid shoulder pads to emulate her. In the real world
More likely someone stepped through a portal and visited 1980s Earth. Ever see Dynasty?

Back in the 80s I remember my mum pulling foam shoulder pads out of her clothes because she thought her shoulders were already big.

As for queens, take a look at this outfit for practically.

1711394527317.jpeg

Last edited:

The biggest part that I don't get about this whole argument is: This is just one wizard out of all the wizards in all the worlds of D&D. To me, that means that she could look like just about anything anyone could ever possibly choose to roll-up as their PC. She certainly fits into THAT.
And there's going to be separate art for the Evoker, Diviner, Illusionist and Abjurer as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads