Heroes In Shades Of Grey

My wife and I recently began watching the HBO series Game of Thrones (based on George R. R. Martin's books) from the start. I had read the books, neither of us had seen any of the series.

My wife and I recently began watching the HBO series Game of Thrones (based on George R. R. Martin's books) from the start. I had read the books, neither of us had seen any of the series.

Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series (to give it its proper name) is very different from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. In LOTR we know, with few exceptions, who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. The only good orc is a dead orc. Sauron is evil personified. Martin's books are much more contemporary, where no one is wholly evil or wholly good, and many are very much in between. It reminds me of typical contemporary science fiction and fantasy rather than of the older, sometimes called "pulp," style. And of course, Martin has no compunction about bumping off major characters left and right, especially in the earlier books.

"If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'" - John Wayne

I started writing this piece when it occurred to me to wonder whether there's any kind of parallel to this in gaming - especially tabletop gaming. I don't know, but I can see some comparisons. For example, your typical Euro style board or card game entirely lacks good guys and bad guys. That may be partly because so many are symmetrical, everyone is essentially the same. Tabletop RPGs are more of a holdout for the good guy/bad guy comparisons, although even 40 years ago most players wanted to act like Chaotic Neutrals, doing whatever they wanted but not responsible for what they did, able to act like thugs but not suffer the consequences of being of actual evil alignment. (You won't be surprised to learn that they never got away with this when I was the GM.) There are many RPGs nowadays that are shades of gray rather than black and white, and evidently many people enjoy this, not I.

Given how much of contemporary life is littered with shades of gray nowadays, where our elected officials are often regarded as crooks, I always liked the notion that one could clearly be a hero, a good guy. I play the game by putting myself in the position of the character, rather than functioning as an actor playing a role.

This gray is part and parcel of the contemporary dislike of constraints. Any game is a set of constraints that players agree to abide by (if they don't, they cheat). You can't have a game without constraints. Yet contemporaries seem to be less tolerant of constraints than people were 40 or 50 years ago, perhaps because there's so many more things we can do in a world with computers and the Internet than we could back when. Games are often more puzzle than game, so there are no constraints imposed by other players. It's very striking to hear someone say they don't want other people messing up the game they're playing.

"Life isn't black and white. It's a million gray areas, don't you find?" - Ridley Scott

It's not surprising, then, that people object to many constraints within the rules of the game. If players don't have to worry about being good, about living up to some kind of standard, if they can successfully be thugs in a world of grays rather than blacks and whites, then they've eliminated some constraints.

There are different kinds of heroes: some who grow up wanting to be heroes, and prepare to be heroes, and have the necessary attitude to be heroes (like Aragorn in Lord of the Rings books, or Wonder Woman in the recent movie), are one kind. People who are forced to do what must be done when there's no one else to do it (like Frodo and Sam in Lord of the Rings) are another kind of hero, the Everyman hero. But both of these heroes require pretty clear-cut situations, black and white rather than gray situations. And we expect the first kind to be sure of their mission, as Aragorn was in the books, but not in the movies, where he was made to be modern-style sensitive and uncertain.

Kriti Sanon said "We are all somewhere or the other a little grey, not black and white. We have our imperfections." But in a game, we can put those imperfections behind us and pretend we are black or white.

contributed by Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

AriochQ

Adventurer
Alignment is a necessary evil for poor roleplayers. Experienced roleplayers will have little use for it, since the character actions will tend to be consistent.

But, I think this article misses the most interesting 'shade of gray'...NPC's. Assuming your players are acting the hero role, it leads to some very interesting situations when the NPC adversaries are not cookie-cutter Evil or Good.

Lylandra

Adventurer
I think it is perfectly possible to play characters that are both generally "good" and realistic.

Generally good because said characters do have their grey (and sometimes dark grey) spots while still trying to be decent people who do the right thing. But realistic characters have both flaws and their point of view. So they might have situations where their general alignment is superseded by the particuar situation said character happens to be in.

Take for exaple revenge as a character's motivation. You could have a party member who's basically rules-abiding and gentle, but there is this certain someone who murdered their little brother in cold blood. And when this character finally gets their chance for revenge, it is very likely that they won't simply arrest the murderer and get him to prison...

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My peeve with "shades-of-grey" campaigns is that eventually the narrator goes colorblind and pea-soup befogged. There ISN'T anybody Good to aid / protect, there ISN'T anybody Evil to oppose / fight / slay.
And then the narrator (via an NPC) delivers himself of moralistic judgmental statements about the players' characters and the deeds they committed while trying to find their way out of the morass.

This may mean that such campaigns should be kept fairly short and to-the-point.

S

Sunseeker

My peeve with "shades-of-grey" campaigns is that eventually the narrator goes colorblind and pea-soup befogged. There ISN'T anybody Good to aid / protect, there ISN'T anybody Evil to oppose / fight / slay.
And then the narrator (via an NPC) delivers himself of moralistic judgmental statements about the players' characters and the deeds they committed while trying to find their way out of the morass.

This may mean that such campaigns should be kept fairly short and to-the-point.

The former is the point of "Grey Campaigns" I think. Having elements in the world that are OBVIOUSLY EVIL or OBVIOUSLY GOOD break the whole "grey" dynamic.

The latter is because the GM doesn't know how to run a Grey Campaign.

S

Sunseeker

I think it is perfectly possible to play characters that are both generally "good" and realistic.

Generally good because said characters do have their grey (and sometimes dark grey) spots while still trying to be decent people who do the right thing. But realistic characters have both flaws and their point of view. So they might have situations where their general alignment is superseded by the particuar situation said character happens to be in.

Take for exaple revenge as a character's motivation. You could have a party member who's basically rules-abiding and gentle, but there is this certain someone who murdered their little brother in cold blood. And when this character finally gets their chance for revenge, it is very likely that they won't simply arrest the murderer and get him to prison...

I agree with this, and the former are perfectly reasonable characters to play in "Grey Campaigns". A "Good character" in an ambiguous world is simply someone who tries to do right by themselves and others. They may not save every kitten but to quote a CGI character:
Colossus said:
Four or five moments, that’s all it takes. To be a hero. Everyone thinks it’s a full-time job. Wake up a hero. Brush your teeth a hero. Go to work a hero. Not true. Over a lifetime, there are only 4 or 5 moments that really matter. Moments when you’re offered a choice. To make a sacrifice, conquer a flaw, save a friend… spare an enemy. In these moments, everything else falls away.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The former is the point of "Grey Campaigns" I think. Having elements in the world that are OBVIOUSLY EVIL or OBVIOUSLY GOOD break the whole "grey" dynamic.
It's certainly possible to have GOOD and EVIL elements in a grey campaign...nothing says all elements of a grey campaign have to hew close to the middle of the spectrum. :)

The latter is because the GM doesn't know how to run a Grey Campaign.
Ayup.

Lylandra

Adventurer
I guess that grey campaigns can come in all shades of... well, grey :)

In my experience, all campaigns I played had a certain shade to it, even if they were at its core heroic campaigns. We seldomly have capital E evil adversaries who are evil because... yeah.

Same thing with races and their alignment. We don't wipe out kobolds because they are evil. We get into struggles with kobold tribes because they need resoruces and don't tend to ask before taking. That's selfish, but not necessarily evil. And even evil villains have their motivations. I guess it is this motivated "shades" play that makes non-violent or non-lethal solutions to problems more viable. Because if someone is evil to the core, then why bother sparing him? Or why bother trying to negotiate?

Draggov23

Villager
Overall, alignment within a game sets the stage to what might happen later on. It does not mean that a person/ character is going to be black or white but rather what "might" be expected from that character. There are many "shades" of alignment that can be delved into and a good Role-players will use their alignment as a source for character development and further adventures for himself or his party.

rmcoen

Adventurer
When I sit down to plan a new campaign, I generally start with a starting hook, and three distant goals (partially why 4e resonated with me). Thinking back over the current and previous half-dozen campaigns, the end goals have been: stop a Far Realms incursion, stop a barbarian invasion, rebalance a pantheon's power (Death becoming too powerful), stop a "magical mutant apocalypse", figure out what happened to the dragons / stop end of the world. The Far Realms are Chaos incarnate, but not evil. The barbarians weren't "evil" or even chaotic, but certainly a threat. The god-power game had a lot of politics, but was more "life vs. death", not "good vs. evil"; it did have one of my standout *Evil* villains, one the party went out of their way and far off-script to hunt down and kill (and he wasn't a BBEG!). The "end of the world" campaign dealt with "historic evil" - the current generation views the actions as evil, but at the time it all seemed justified an reasonable. (That campaign's "BBEG" wanted the end of the world, but wasn't "Evil" per se, beyond not caring about the genocidal results of ending the world. He even employed the "heroes" for awhile, using them as stalking horses and diving rods.)

So, mostly, no titanic battles of Good vs. Evil. The PCs each campaign - not always the same players! - tend to be a party of 3-5 Neutrals (different flavors of Neutral), with 1 or 2 Good. The foes and adventures generally are Goal-based, generally with political/allegiance themes. One character is being hunted by angels, for example, because his powers mess with the timestream and their patron god won't take the risk of being depowered. The cleric's hometown hates the party because they sided with some wizards against some druids over the distribution of a unique "godsblood" resource; on the other hand, the Academy of Magic now swears allegiance to that same empire-building cleric... But the party (the good-aligned characters pulling the Neutrals along) stepped away from the main quest to aid plague victims in one case, and in another overturned a highly Lawful despotic society to free slaves. Plus I litter "the field" with "elementally Good/Evil" beings... you can trust this guy, you can kill that guy. the players are frequently relieved to be confronted with a clear enemy/friend, but otherwise clamor for the shades of grey. In their eyes (and mine, as GM at least), anything harkening to an extreme viewpoint - enough to "detect" or be "protected from" is dangerous - no matter which extreme. Judge Dredd isn't someone you *want* to interact with!

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
I was really scared this article was about to reveal the "50 Shades" of D&D. And then I saw the author's credit and realized it was worse.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads