• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes, Inc., Day 1: Mysterious Strangers

Falkus

Explorer
Dyria couldn't help but smile at Fin, covering it with her hand and a cough, as she turned her head away from Shando to keep him from seeing her grin. Honor and duty were foreign concepts to her, really. To her, all that mattered were results. Kill the enemy in a fair fight, or by stabbing him in the back, it was all the same to her. Protecting Peirigon hadn't been a matter of honor for her, but something she felt rather more important. A chance to do some good.

"I agree, let's head upstairs," Dyria said, getting her face under control.

kirinke

First Post
"Honor and duty are intertwined aren't they?" Alethia grinned at the monk. "I don't see the difference between the two. Anyway, generally speaking really evil types have enormous egoes. And enormous egoes make mistakes, while thinking they are grand and perfect plans. Which is why we'll get them sooner or later." she grinned again, this time with just a hint of dark humor. "And here's hoping they resist arrest,"

Last edited:

Hawkeye

First Post
kirinke said:
"Honor and duty are intertwined aren't they?" Alethia grinned at the monk. "I don't see the difference between the two.

"It is only by carrying out ones Duty or striving to carry out ones Duty that you earn and define your sense of Honor. I have been taught that there are several kinds of Duty: Duty to ones God, Order, Charge, Family, Friends, Strangers and Self. Where you place Duty to Self in that order will define your Sense of Honor. Place your Duty to Self above all else and act upon that and you have no Honor and will earn none. I strive to place myself last in the list that I have given you, as I have been taught. I try to do all that is mortally possible to carry out the Sacred Duties. Though I have lost no Honor in my failure to protect Piergeron as I was striving to complete my Duty. In my eyes, I have failed my Duty to myself. I must spend more time in training, meditation and fasting to prepare myself for the next time so I may better carry out my Sacred Duties."

kirinke said:
she grinned again, this time with just a hint of dark humor. "And here's hoping they resist arrest,"

A grim look upon his face as he cracks his knuckles "So do I. The Order of The Yellow Rose doesn't teach us to coddle evil, but destroy it where we find it"

OOC: Think that is a bit more profound. Go ahead Fin mock me now! :p

Hawkeye

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Hawkeye said:
"I have been taught that there are several kinds of Duty: Duty to..."

God, Order, Charge, Family, Friends, Strangers, Self, Fin recites silently, checking them off on his fingers as Dyria smirks behind her hand.

He'd always found the version of The Duty Speech that Hannah set to music rather catchy...

frostrune

First Post
Timrin's foul mood hardly seems to diminish even though Aleena is saved. He finds her adle-brained state alarming and would seem to think it more than a simple bump on the head. He is struggling to find the real threat in all this.

"Fin, unless you need me to do otherwise, I would prefer to stay here and make sure no one touches Lord Peregion. You can fill me in on Lord Zarun's speech later."

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
frostrune said:
"Fin, unless you need me to do otherwise, I would prefer to stay here and make sure no one touches Lord Peregion. You can fill me in on Lord Zarun's speech later."

"Call us if you need us," Fin agrees.

OOC: Sense Motive doesn't suggest that Aleena's the victim of any enchantments, does it? Fae are notorious for them... /OOC

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hypersmurf said:
"Call us if you need us," Fin agrees.

OOC: Sense Motive doesn't suggest that Aleena's the victim of any enchantments, does it? Fae are notorious for them... /OOC

Murdoch will head to the roof too. `This cannot be over...it doesn`t feel right` he mumbles to himself.

kirinke

First Post
Alethia drapes her cloak over Aleena and moves over to Fin. "Fin? My healing skills are not enough to deal with this. Aleena needs an expert. Her condition is either caused by magic or drugs. I don't know," she said softly.

DM_Matt

First Post
kirinke said:
Alethia drapes her cloak over Aleena and moves over to Fin. "Fin? My healing skills are not enough to deal with this. Aleena needs an expert. Her condition is either caused by magic or drugs. I don't know," she said softly.

Aiden walks over to Aleena, gently shakes her out of a daze, and says softly "Time to wake up, m'lady. Your people await. Do you think you can stand up?" She seems to nod, and he helps her up and guides her up the stairs.

As he does, he tells Timrin "Unfortunately, Peregion isn't going anywhere. Besides, my guards have it taken care of. The people should get to meet their heroes.

Once you get up to the top of the tower, you see an enormous crowd of thousands gathered in the streets. One of Aiden's guards hands him a horn made of ivory and gold, and he addressess the crowd, the item causing his voice to carry extremely far.

"People of Waterdeep. I bring tidings of sorrow, tidings of triumph, and tidings of hope. Lord Peregion is dead, assassinated by the same vampire that was responsible for annihilating House Drakkenmere.

However, all was not lost. In one glorious night, the vampire has been, at least temporarily, vanquished, an evil and powerful mage and his gang of ten assassins were slain, the almost the entire evil cult of Auril has been slain or captured, the rising of an overfiend has been averted, and Lady Aleena here has been rescued from the grasp of lunatics who were trying to offer her us as a human sacrifice."

"Lady Aleena, say hello to your people."

She stands up straight, waves and says "Hiiiiiiii everyone!!!!!!!, she tries to stifle giggles, then wobbles and starts falling over the side of the lighthouse. Aiden rapidly opens his hand, his ivory circle glows, and she slowly is pulled back, gently landing, apparently asleep, as he catches her in one arm. As this happens, the crowd first laughs, then gasps, then ends with applause.

"I am Aiden Zarun, heir to House Drakkenmere. Fourteen years ago, at the age of eighteen, I left Waterdeep to make a life for myself. I married the wonderful and beautiful noblewoman Rachael Zarun, without whom I would be merely another loser third son of a noble, and stayed a member of her family.

C'mon, let the people see you." The fancily-dressed and beautiful woman and the young girl step forward, waving and smiling. "And this is our daughter, Clarissa."

"When I heard the tragic news of my family's murder, I vowed that no one else would ever have to suffer as I have, and planned my return to Waterdeep. The forces of good have great power, but are often unwilling to use that power. They often compromise with evil, tolerate evil within certain bounds, and accept its power rather than take the necessary risks to ensure its total destruction. We must not sacrifice innocent people merely to avoid upsetting the status quo.

The assassination of Lord Peregion is the tragic result of such tolerance. As a nobleman, I have the right to have a private army of limited size. I have brought with me heroes, who will uncompromisingly destroy evil and save innocent lives.

(Thunderous Applause)

I have come to help protect this city and cleanse the evil forces within. But the heroes I bring are not the only ones. The local heroes here with me tonight are those who truly saved the city of Waterdeep tonight: Fin Caisson, Dyria Delmar, Kaarlo Koskinen, Timrin Goldmantle, Alethia Saldiniel, Murdoch, Shando, and Crimson. What this city needs is more heroes such as these.

(More applause)

While we all mourn the death of Lord Peregion, the last thing that he would want is for us to neglect our obligations to the gods. Before I land my ships and prepare to take possession of my family's property, I have a gift for the people of Waterdeep. I considered canceling it, on account of the bittersweet events of this festival. However, Lord Peregion would have wanted us to celebrate Waukeentide with ever more fervor than before. "

"Men, the Cannons!"

"In the tradition of Old Carvas!" Aiden shouts. "Good night, everyone!"

Aiden's ships open fire, and containers are projected over the city, which break open, showering coins on the crowd. The people clap and cheer and scramble for the coins.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

First Post
Shando watches the ostentatious display and shakes his head, knowing the chaos that will erupt as the stronger will take coins from the weaker. Something is wrong with this situation and he can't put his finger on it. Though it sounds and looks as if Aiden is fulfilling a Duty to Others, Shando can't help but think that Aiden is fulfilling a Duty to Self instead. Shando moves over to the others, turning to face away and pitching his voice low, "How does he know who we all are? I never stated who I was, and as far as I know, only one of you has called me by my name. The same is true for others, though I think Fin and Timrin have introduced themselves. This woman who joined us this very evening" , he gestures towards Alethia, isn't even part of our group and yet he acts as if he knows her and us well. I know we have a reputation, but certainly less than that of others heroes. Who spread the rumors to the populous that there would be a battle here this night? We came straight from the planning session to rescue Aleena and the battle was too brief to attract a crowd. How did HE know where this was happening? There is something deeper going on here. We need to talk elsewhere away from 'Lord' Drakkenmere and his guards, some place we can protect from scrying. Until then I suggest we choose our words around 'Lord Drakkenmere''

Hawkeye

Remove ads