• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroics Spell Question

Thrincold

First Post
Going with the earth theme, try melf's acid arrow, and the acid orbs. Also, get energy sub acid for any nonearth-type spells and go from there. I know acid as an aspect of earth is a stretch, but its all they really give us in this edition.

Iku Rex

Explorer
Dream dwarf with racial substitution levels (from Races of Stone) by any chance? Aiming for the earth dreamer PrC?

Archade said:
At least I get to alleviate my boredom by playing my earth elemental -- good 'ol rock, nothing beat's rock.
Paper elementals?

Archade said:
My current spell selection is 0 - caltrops, detect magic, light, mage hand, read magic, resistance; 1 - enlarge person, fist of stone, hail of stone, mage armor, ray of enfeeblement, shield; 2 - false life, shatter, heroics.

My wishlist for spells include 1 - ray of clumsiness; 2 - bull's strength, earthen grasp, greater mage armor, undeniable gravity; 3 - dispel magic, greater magic weapon, heroism, tremorsense; 4 - call of stone, stone shape, stoneskin; 5 - wall of stone; 6 - disintegrate, stone body, summon monster vi. I'm always up for suggestions (although I am sticking to a strict earth theme).
(You seem to have too many spells known. :confused: )

Earth theme? Consider the Spell Thematics (PGtF) feat, to put an "earthy" flavor on powerful spells you wouldn't normaly allow yourself to take.

Most of these spells are all from the Spell Compendium, which I'm guessing you don't have, but they've usually been published earlier in some other supplement.

Balor nimbus (2nd): Put it on the elemental once it grows a little, and order it to grapple.
Acid Breath: Basic acid damage spell.
Dragonskin (3rd): Excellent AC buff spell. Pick the black dragon version (acid resistance).
Slow (PH, 3rd): Don't let them run away from you!
Acid sheath (5th): Discourage opponents from attacking you and/or your elemental.
Xorn Movement (5th): Keep up with your companion's movement.
Vitrolic Sphere (5th): Acid damage spell

ThirdWizard

First Post
A wand of this would be awesome.

Use the new polymorphs to turn your familiar into a troll/dragon and then give him tons of Fighter feats! :D

EDIT: Or give the fighter specialization in whatever weapon he picks up. That's a neat one. Where's the spell from? Spell Compedium?

Last edited:

Archade

Azer Paladin
Iku Rex said:
(You seem to have too many spells known. :confused: )

I do. I've taken the Earth Bloodline feat from the Dragon Compendium vol. 1 - it gives me an extra specific spell per level (1-enlarge person, 2-shatter), in exchange for never being able to learn air spells. As well, I took the Apprentice feat from DMG2 that gives me one extra 1st level spell.

Iku Rex said:
Most of these spells are all from the Spell Compendium, which I'm guessing you don't have, but they've usually been published earlier in some other supplement.

Got it. Love it. Using Hail of Stone, Fist of Stone, and for 3rd level (when I get it) Great Thunderclap. The earth moveth.

Iku Rex said:
Slow (PH, 3rd): Don't let them run away from you!

Yes! Slow, Call to Stone, Rock to Mud, Earthen Grasp, Wingbind, and Acid Fog should work well in keeping things where I want them.

Thanks for the advice -- all very good stuff!

Iku Rex

Explorer
Archade said:
I do. I've taken the Earth Bloodline feat from the Dragon Compendium vol. 1 - it gives me an extra specific spell per level (1-enlarge person, 2-shatter), in exchange for never being able to learn air spells. As well, I took the Apprentice feat from DMG2 that gives me one extra 1st level spell.
That explains it. :) The Apprentice feat looks like a great way for a sorcerer to gain access to knowledge (the planes).
Archade said:
Got it. Love it. Using Hail of Stone, Fist of Stone, and for 3rd level (when I get it) Great Thunderclap. The earth moveth.
(The reason I thought you didn't have it was that you listed "undeniable gravity" rather than "earthbind".)

(Oh, and you have greater mage armor as a 2nd level spell in your wishlist - it's 3rd.)
Archade said:
Yes! Slow, Call to Stone, Rock to Mud, Earthen Grasp, Wingbind, and Acid Fog should work well in keeping things where I want them.
(Evard's) Black Tentacles would fit in nicely, if you can make it work with your theme.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads