• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

HeroQuest

ARandomGod

First Post
Has anyone here played that system or know anything about it? It seems interesting, but I haven't found a good support community/forum to answer my questions.

buzz

Adventurer
You might want to ask the mods to move this to the General RPG Discussion forum. HQ, while it uses a 20-sided die, is not a d20 game. You might get more responses. There are also a lot of HQ fans and Gloranthaphiles who hang out at http://www.rpg.net.

Have you checked out http://www.glorantha.com ? There's a whole trove of links and info there.

I managed to pick up HQ and two supplements on deep discount at my FLGS, but, alas, have yet to get to reading them. They're on the pile with the other 37 books I haven't gotten to yet. :)

CombatWombat51

First Post
Hero Quest using a d20? Erm? Is there some HQ RPG or something? I saw the thread title and got fond memories of being an Elf with water magic, feumrs, and chaos knights!

Aaron2

Explorer
CombatWombat51 said:
Hero Quest using a d20? Erm? Is there some HQ RPG or something?

Yeah. Its a revision of Hero Wars which is kinda a revision/sequal to RuneQuest. I'm a huge RQ junkie but just can't handle to artsyness of Hero Wars. It's a full time job just keeping up with Glorantha (the game world). Plus, its ROLL LOW! Curse of the gaming gods.

Aaron

romp

First Post
there are sevral very active groups on yahoo for HQ. Check the main one out here. .

There are some active PBeM games going via Yahoo! groups also.

It is a great system, very flexible for GMs and players. Rules munchkins will not like it.

ARandomGod

First Post
buzz said:
You might want to ask the mods to move this to the General RPG Discussion forum. HQ, while it uses a 20-sided die, is not a d20 game. You might get more responses. There are also a lot of HQ fans and Gloranthaphiles who hang out at http://www.rpg.net.

Have you checked out http://www.glorantha.com ? There's a whole trove of links and info there.

I managed to pick up HQ and two supplements on deep discount at my FLGS, but, alas, have yet to get to reading them. They're on the pile with the other 37 books I haven't gotten to yet. :)

ExCellEnt. Thanks for the replies.

You know, I debated as to whether or not it was a "d20" game. I decided it was based on the fact that it's the only game touted as d20 that actually uses ONLY a d20, and no other dice.

While I do have something of an impression that there's some other definition, I don't actually know what that is.

BTW, I especially liked the statement:
"It is a great system, very flexible for GMs and players. Rules munchkins will not like it."
An awesome description. It has a mechanic to handle absolutely anything... but everything is based on one mechanic. Awesome concept.

buzz

Adventurer
ARandomGod said:
You know, I debated as to whether or not it was a "d20" game. I decided it was based on the fact that it's the only game touted as d20 that actually uses ONLY a d20, and no other dice.

While I do have something of an impression that there's some other definition, I don't actually know what that is.
It's not a "d20" game in that it does not use the "d20 system" created and owned by Wizards of the Coast and used in games like D&D, Star Wars, and d20 Modern. It's simply a game that uses a twenty-sided die. I have never seen it touted as a d20 game in this sense.

ARandomGod

First Post
buzz said:
It's not a "d20" game in that it does not use the "d20 system" created and owned by Wizards of the Coast and used in games like D&D, Star Wars, and d20 Modern. It's simply a game that uses a twenty-sided die. I have never seen it touted as a d20 game in this sense.

Ah, so the name "d20" isn't descriptive, other than it does admittedly occasionally use a d20 in the gamestyle, it is instead a trademarked name.

I've never seen the HeroQuest advertised as a game that only uses the d20 dice and no other... although that's definitely true about the system, and I haven't seen it advertized in any way at all, so this lack didn't throw me. ^_^

Remove ads