Heroscape is back?! Update: the fund failed.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I keep hearing that term … can someone explain what Hasbro Pulse is?
It's Hasbro's own version of Kickstater. It's a limited run at a particular product funded by folks without intent (initially) of mass producing the product. Typically, its a lot of collector type stuff.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I don't know if you're making an intentional reference or not but when Milton Bradley partnered up with Games Workshop to do HeroQuest back in the day they also partnered with them to make a little boardgame called Space Crusade:

I don't think it was ever sold in the US, unfortunately, so I've never actually gotten to play it. But my understanding of it was that it was basically a 40K version of Heroquest in spirit (though it used somewhat different rules and it had a modular board instead of a fixed board, so it was more like a 40K Advanced Heroquest).
Pretty sure Space Crusade was sold in the US, but didn't get as wide distribution. I've seen copies of it occasionally.

Space Crusade was not "Hero Quest in space". In HQ you had to explore, open doors, search traps, but Space Crusade was about you put the space marines, and the tokens in the board as "blips" in a radar, and then when there was visual contact, the token became an enemy figure. Today with the current technology the player controlling the aliens could be replaced with an AI in an app. But it was useful as "icebreaker" for players who knew nothing about W40K. For the current standards, it was relatively "kid-friendly" in that time.

I guess some players will use the Heroscape miniatures to play other game systems.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Space Crusade was not "Hero Quest in space". In HQ you had to explore, open doors, search traps, but Space Crusade was about you put the space marines, and the tokens in the board as "blips" in a radar, and then when there was visual contact, the token became an enemy figure.
Kind of a simplified Space Hulk, but with more variety of enemies? I haven't actually played it.

Space orks, genstealers, space khaos marines, a group of soldier robots as "Terminators", and the dreadnought, a giant robot like ED-209 (Robocop). An expansion was about eldars as hero faction, and other about more dreadnoughts (big robots).

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Space orks, genstealers, space khaos marines, a group of soldier robots as "Terminators", and the dreadnought, a giant robot like ED-209 (Robocop). An expansion was about eldars as hero faction, and other about more dreadnoughts (big robots).
Right, I know about the enemies. The "terminator soldier robots" were called Chaos Androids, as I recall, and later developed into their own faction in 40k, the Necrons. A few editions ago, I referenced this bit of background when painting a detachment of Necrons to use with my Chaos Space Marines army.

Last edited:

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Have they shown any minis unpainted?
Not yet. I'm not on the Avalon Hill discord but I've been paying attention to posts at Heroscapers where they're reposting the designer notes from the discord. So far what they've talked about is that the game story is picking up some years after the original game and new factions have formed beyond the original generals - which gives them opportunities to play with some new ideas. The first new faction is the "Dawn Raider Syndicate" which is apparently composed of deserters from the various factions from the war who have banded together and turned to piracy/banditry - a number of the figures on the board at GenCon are apparently from the Dawn Raider Syndicate faction. And they've shown some design drawings of some more figures from that faction - including the masked armored lady duel weilding guns from the GenCon board who is at least codenamed "Pirate Queen Bonny" as one of the leaders. They also showed concept art for a Marro Pirate member of the Syndicate and yes please.

Remove ads