• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heward's Handy Haversack = free Quickdraw? +Quiver of Ehlonna questions

RedSwan78

First Post
Well, I was on the wizards sight and looking over the Errata, and saw that HHH was changed to:

"Retrieving any specific item from a haversack is a FREE action "

Quickdraw says: You can draw a weapon as a free action instead of as a move-equivilent action

Hmmm.. this works out pretty well for my sorcerer that uses a LongBow.. Put the LongBow in the Haversack, and put the quivers of arrows in the Haversack.. that way, I can retrieve my LongBow as a free action, and shoot.

The other question is, what kind of action is it to put an item back *into* a Haversack? Free action? Move Equivilent action?

Edit- see my next post (two posts down) for Quiver of Ehlonna questions. :)

Last edited:

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
If you put something pointy into a Haversack, it will likely poke a hole in it and lose all the contents forever (see Bag of Holding).

It is a free action to pull a weapon out of a haversack. Some DM's do not count this the same as "preparing" a weapon. They say you get your bow into your hands as a free action, but it could be upside down or whatever. To prepare it for firing is still a move equiv. That's borderline house rule though.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Re: Heward's Handy Haversack = free Quickdraw?

RedSwan78 said:

The other question is, what kind of action is it to put an item back *into* a Haversack? Free action? Move Equivilent action?
Putting an item away is normally move-equivalent. HHH does not state that it changes this, so placing an item inside is still a MEA.

RedSwan78

First Post
Hmm.. pretty much figured it would be a MEA to put things back in it, but wanted to see what others had to say, or if I was missing something.. hehe

As for the "like a bag of holding", a Bag of Holding says:

" If the bag is overloaded, or if sharp objects pierce it (from inside or outside), the bag ruptures and is ruined"

Wow.. never saw that before.. is that new for 3E? Anyways, the arrows would be in the quivers in the HHH, and therefore wouldn't ever "pierce" the Haversack, since arrows go pointy end down into a quiver..

Hmm.. that changes things.. so blunt weapons could go into a Haversack as well? (just as long as it isn't like a morningstar that has little pointy parts)..

So what about ? Quiver of Ehlonna ? It says that it can hold arrows, javelins, and bows.. it also says:

" Once the owner has filled it, she can command the quiver to produce any stored item she wishes. "

Just what *exactly* does that mean? Can I "command" my quiver to produce my bow in my hands? What about arrows? I'm confuzzled :(

kreynolds

First Post
RedSwan78 said:
...is that new for 3E?

No. I only go as far back as 2nd edition, but it was there as well.

RedSwan78 said:
...so blunt weapons could go into a Haversack as well?

Yup. A rock can go in there too. Or a bar of soap, for that matter. ;)

RedSwan78 said:
Can I "command" my quiver to produce my bow in my hands?

Yes. It's a standard action to do so. Whether or not it appears right in your hands is another matter, but the point is that its a standard action to get it.

Last edited:

Murrdox

First Post
All your questions about the HHH are essentially correct, at least that's how we play it in our game.

HHH is a backpack, designed in such a way that when you reach in, you automatically grab the item you're looking for.

However, I would not allow someone to draw both his weapon AND his quiver of arrows from the hoversack in one round. With the exception of perhaps dropping items, and drawing two swords from sheaths (using quickdraw) on either side of your body simultaneously, no type of free action should be allowed twice in a round, IMHO. If you do so, then it's now a ME action instead of free.

RedSwan78

First Post
kreynolds said:

Yes. It's a standard action to do so. Whether or not it appears right in your hands is another matter, but the point is that its a standard action to get it.

Ok, this is where I get REALLY confuzzled.. so if it's a standard action to command the item out of the quiver.. I guess I would NEVER EVER put my bow that I plan on using in it. Because, damn, even if I DON'T have quickdraw, I can move and draw my bow. BUT if it's in my Quiver of Ehlonna, it's a *standard* action to produce it, meaning I ONLY get a move or MAE after that?

That can't be right... (that just doesn't sound right to me)

Here's where it gets even WORSE... Arrows.. so you mean, to pull an arrow out of the Quiver of Ehlonna is a standard action??? So my round consists of pulling out an arrow, and maybe moving if I want to, and that's it.. can't attack, because standard action takes place of attack action..

See why I'm confuzzled so badly? hehe

kreynolds

First Post
RedSwan78 said:
...even if I DON'T have quickdraw, I can move and draw my bow.

Yes.

RedSwan78 said:
BUT if it's in my Quiver of Ehlonna, it's a *standard* action to produce it, meaning I ONLY get a move or MAE after that?

Yes. You can move and draw your bow. Same as above. The quiver is not a good place to store your primary bow. It's a good place to store backup/alternate bows. Also, note that it says "items".

RedSwan78 said:
That can't be right... (that just doesn't sound right to me)

It is. Unless specifically stated otherwise, activating a magic item is a standard action.

RedSwan78 said:
...so you mean, to pull an arrow out of the Quiver of Ehlonna is a standard action???

It doesn't say otherwise (and it would have to), and I'm not aware of any errata.

RedSwan78 said:
So my round consists of pulling out an arrow, and maybe moving if I want to, and that's it.. can't attack, because standard action takes place of attack action..

Yup.

RedSwan78 said:
See why I'm confuzzled so badly?

Nope. :)

EDIT: By the way, whatever you do, don't put your Quiver of Ehlonna into your Heward's Handy Haversack.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
...so you mean, to pull an arrow out of the Quiver of Ehlonna is a standard action???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't say otherwise (and it would have to), and I'm not aware of any errata.

The way I've always interpreted it is that the Quiver can hold 20 arrows in real space ("This appears to be a typical arrow container capable of holding about 20 arrows"). Once those 20 run out, you can, as a standard action, command the Quiver to yank another 20 out of extradimensional space into the "real" part of the quiver.

Having an item in the form of a quiver that allows an archer to carry lots of arrows but not shoot any of them seems to make no sense...

-Hyp.

RedSwan78

First Post
OK, so what good IS a Quiver of Ehlonna? The description DOESN'T even say that it reduces weight like a HHH or Bag of Holding does.. and you can't pull arrows out of it like a normal quiver.. this just seems to be, to be THE most USELESS magical item of it's "type".. (that being, extra holding things type)

About the ONLY use I see is that you can put pointy objects into it with no worries. But that's not even special, because the description doesn't say it reduces wieght, so who cares that you can do that?

Really, what's going on with this magical item? Am I blind and not seeing something I may not be seeing? Do I have an old copy of a DMG that doesn't say it reduces weight like a HHH or Bag of Holding and new copies of the DMG *do* say it does?

Remove ads