Hey Logan Bonner or Mike Mearls, how to handle free actions after charge?

Orcus Porkus

First Post
The site is a complete mess. After logging in the only page I can access is the profile setup.

Edit: Ugh, apparently I need to update my profile, with name and zip code hahaha. The users just want to post meaningless stuff about a game and they think just because there is facebook they need to create a social networking site. Annoying to say the least.

I can't believe they leave hundreds of thousands of users in the rain by not even sending an email, or after logging in, a short message explaining what's going on.

But anyway, this thread is about Charging.

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
It seems to me that denying free actions leads to a number of odd if not absurd situations under the original rules.

Allowing them only leads to a number of oddities that are actually in line with other niches of broken rules (ie - the feycharger is not head-and-shoulders above every other optimized damage build so allowing free actions after a charge isn't a standout broken rule) and even then, only when considering additional books and nonstandard builds.

It would seem to me that there are ways to avoid feycharger mega-dps builds that don't involve denying people the ability to speak for an indeterminate period of time after they charge.

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
A strict interpretation of the rules requires you to question the timing of a free action. For instance, say I'm a rageblood barbarian and I charge a foe, and then I crit and drop that foe to 0 hp using howling strike. Strict interpretation of the rules says that I do indeed trigger the Rampage class feature and swift charge power. However, I can't actually use them because it's still my turn and I can't take any further actions on my turn. I then enter my End of Turn phase, and I do what I need to do in that phase. Then someone else's turn begins. (As Saeviomagy points out, this technically means you can't even speak until the next turn begins.)

That's how I'd have to rule it in a competitive tournament game, such as the Ultimate Delve, where player knowledge and tactics really matter.

In my home game, as well as a noncompetitive RPGA game, I'd allow the player to choose to use both Rampage and swift charge in this case. From what I've seen, everyone at the table has more fun when these barbarian mechanical elements (and similar ones from other classes) are brought into play. The triggers happen rarely enough that restricting the use of these capabilities seems a lot like restricting the fun.

I'm a little lax with the rules when doing so results in more fun. That laxity sometimes benefits the monsters, so it all comes out fairly.

To some folks, however, it's more fun to acknowledge the limits of the rules and play in a tactically minded way. My players aren't among such tacticians, so I'm lax. If I had a lot of tacticians in my group, I might change up my style and be stricter with rules interpretations to reward really careful tactical play.

For any home game, it's a judgment call. Consistency is key.

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
I know, right? Message boards don't need crap like blogs, or video embedding, or fancy user pages, or user groups, or a wiki, or a chat room...

Hmm let me see.

Question: Does the site require you to use blogs, video embedding, user pages, groups or chat?

Answer - NO.

Question: Can you still just go there and lurk and post every once in awhile in the forums?

Answer - YES

Its like this site. I dont use anything other than one specific forum does that mean that they should just do away with other parts that I dont care for? If you dont want to blog etc then dont. It doesnt restrict you from perusing the forums.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Hey, folks, this is a rules forum, not a "what features does the site have" forum. Can we stick to discussion of rules, please? Thanks much.

Donderafosti

First Post
Action Point?

Since using an action point is considered a "Free Action" and it says I'm allowed to use an action point even after a charge, I always assumed that any free actions following a charge (triggered or otherwise) were legit...

FireLance

Legend
While I was reading through the new magic items in AV2, I came across the boar's charge totem:
Power (Daily): Free. Trigger: You hit an enemy with a charge attack using this totem while you are in beast form. Effect: You push that enemy 1 square and can shift into the space it vacated.​
If you can't use free actions after a charge, then that power needs errata or it can't (officially :p) be used.

Flipguarder

First Post
This is my problem:

According to common sense, triggered actions shouldn't take any less amount of time then their non-triggered counterparts. So why should a triggered free action make sense, but nature's wrath at the same time in the same situation (after a charge) cannot work because it's not triggered?

Remove ads