Hey Logan Bonner or Mike Mearls, how to handle free actions after charge?

keterys

First Post
Bump for Mike and Logan. Will bump this until a lead designer from WotC replies.

You do realize that's rude, right? From what I've seen, demanding the response of specific people is actually a massive incentive _not_ to respond to the thread, which would encourage the behavior, and rampant activity of that sort can drive such folks away from a board entirely.

So, please, for our sakes, don't. Feel free to ask customer service, of course, since that is their job.

Orcus Porkus

First Post
yes Sir Aragon, you are probably right. I'm just so frustrated to see the same discussion popping up again. And again. And again. And again. And again.
And customer service is useless. So dear lead designers, I really mean no offense. No pressure. Just let us know how you handle it in your games. Thanks.

Flipguarder

First Post
In this one singular instance for one nano-moment in time, I agree entirely with Orcus Porkus and support him fully in his goal. This is a noble venture that must be seen through.

And yes CS is just as reliable as any freshman english major with 4e books. It's just another person's opinion as far as I'm concerned.

Chimerasame

First Post
My take is, you cannot use a free action on your turn after a charge once the charge completely resolves, unless you use an action point. However:

You can use a free action after the damage of the charge is dealt, before the "end" of the charge, and

You can use a free action at the beginning of the succeeding person's turn,

so this basically amounts in all respects I can think of to being able to take a free action after a charge.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Dragon 379 said:
✦ [Marking is] a free action. One thing this means is that
you can use Nature’s Wrath at any point in your
turn, including midway through another action
such as a move or a charge. Another is that you
can take a full turn’s worth of standard, move,
and minor actions without giving up your ability
to mark.

Seems like free action means what it says.
If you can mark during a charge, it seems you should be able to mark right before the end of a charge.

Edit: Here's the link(subscription)

Thaumaturge.

Flipguarder

First Post
Seems like free action means what it says.
If you can mark during a charge, it seems you should be able to mark right before the end of a charge.

Edit: Here's the link(subscription)

Thaumaturge.

Thank god. After all the crap I've taken from my DM about Wardens not SUPPOSED to be able to charge and mark, this is a godsend. I love you... congrats on being in my sig.

keterys

First Post
Not sure that quite covers the 'So a barbarian does a close burst 1 and drops or crits the second of four targets, triggering a swift charge or rampaging charge, which then triggers the other... what the heck happens?'

For the moment I've just been assuming that you do finish the close burst 1 since it's all simultaneous, then can charge twice, cause that seemed to be the intention. Being able to mark at the midpoint of a charge is still quite a bit different from 'so I charge and get a crit which gives me a charge which kills someone which gives me a charge'. And the 'so I crit which kills someone, triggering both rampage and swift charge on the same attack' is interesting too.

nicholasgeorg

First Post
Not sure that quite covers the 'So a barbarian does a close burst 1 and drops or crits the second of four targets, triggering a swift charge or rampaging charge, which then triggers the other... what the heck happens?'

For the moment I've just been assuming that you do finish the close burst 1 since it's all simultaneous, then can charge twice, cause that seemed to be the intention. Being able to mark at the midpoint of a charge is still quite a bit different from 'so I charge and get a crit which gives me a charge which kills someone which gives me a charge'. And the 'so I crit which kills someone, triggering both rampage and swift charge on the same attack' is interesting too.

One of my players has a minotaur barbarian, and this has only happened once or twice, but I'm all for it. The player has a blast, everyone feels awesome, and it is cinematic as hell. If it really breaks the encounter balance, well, that's what that horn on the bad guy's belt that is an immediate interrupt to summon reinforcements is for.

Remove ads