• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hierarch Modrons

Razz

Banned
Banned
First off, I want to thank Ken Marable and the staff at Dragon for producing the article in Dragon #354, "Return of the Modrons". The article brought a tear to my eye as I read through it and was happy to see such a wonderful race of Law exemplars make its show in 3.5e D&D and produced the Base Modrons stats for all to use in their games.

Unfortunately, the staff at Dragon Magazine are "iffy" on producing the rest of the race. This probably comes to a shock to us modron fans and then a heavy blow afterwards...and then a wrenched gut feeling. It's horrible...I know.

There're plenty of ways for the staff at Dragon to produce the missing Hierarch Modrons, but none either want to compromise or want to say anything about what they plan to do. At the moment, things look grim and I always expect the worst. That we may never see the Hierarch Modrons come to light. At least in 3E.

So I have taken it upon myself to convert them myself. I have consulted all official D&D material I could come across about the Modrons from the 1E, 2E, and 3.0E stats, to the articles I could find in old issues of Dragon ("Modron Magic" being one of such articles), to using Ken Marable's article as comparisons.

Thankfully, the staff at Dungeon Magazine have produced the Tertian modron in Dungeon #144 for which I can use as comparison to how their mechanics should be.

Maybe Dragon will one day produce them, but for now I am preparing myself. That, and I can't really wait any longer to start my campaign involving this race.

Now on to my notes on the conversions and then the conversions themselves.

I went and updated the Hierarchs myself for my own games since this recent let-down. I finished all the mechanics but I did try to give them other unique abilities for them rather than one being more physically, mentally, and magically superior than the one below it. As Ken had done when he produced his Base Modrons.

I want to say it's written in the old monster format for a few reasons:

1) I am still not used to the new monster format.

2) I believe the old format was easier to read

3) I'm really used to the old format...still

So there you have it.

Now for my conversion notes:

First, as I have stated before, I used everything I could find on modrons and did some research to make these conversions. Ken's article and the Tertian in Dungeon really helped out. As you can see, their stats upgrade as each rank is increased. A little natural armor, spell resistance, Hit Dice, skills, and others. Some lose out on stats, such as the Septon's strength. Since it dropped from Large to Medium I didn't see a reason for its strength to increase, for example. I did give some of them unique abilities, too.

For example, I gave the Decaton a supernatural ability to have a status effect on constantly with all modrons within its telepathy range. This allows it to better adjucate where it is most needed so it can use its greater teleport (something all hierarchs have access to) to go where it is needed to repair damaged modrons. I gave it mass repair moderate damage as opposed to its healing circle it had in 3.0 and I let it keep heal but it only works on constructs.

Working on the Nonatons and Octons wasn't easy. I wasn't sure if I should lose or keep the 50 ft. speed for Nonatons from their 3.0 version but decided to keep it due to their large size and three legs.

I gave Octons a swim speed, of course, and increased their maneuverability from their 3.0 version according to their descriptive text (which says they can maneuver in the air very well). I also wasn't sure if I should give them improved grab, since they both have tentacles, and was thinking of giving Octon constrict as well. So far, I have not added these to their conversions, but may do so whenever I get the chance to playtest these against my players.

I read that old Dragon Magazine article called "Modron Magic" written by Monte Cook (who also did Modron March...he really loves modrons I noticed) and read that Septons are the ones in charge of crafting magic items and spells for the modrons. So I gave it several bonus item creation feats. This idea was based off the Midgard Dwarf from Frostburn. The second one was based off of Book of Vile Darkness Grazz't, called Item Mastery where they can use any magic item, even spell completion items.

As for Hextons, I gave them Repetitive Attack as the Quadrone received in Ken marable's article, since I figure they'd be fighting machines since they're the generals of the modron armies. I was also thinking of giving them either a sort of summon ability 1/day to summon more modrons or something akin to the Marshal class, where they emit an aura that affects lawful allies into granting them bonuses to attack, damage, saving throws, or temporary hit points and the Hexton can switch between the auras as a swift action. Maybe give them the abilities of a 10th-level Marshal and the auras only affect lawful allies (or maybe just modrons?) But I realized they have strong spellcasting power so I decided to give them Linked Minds, which actually worked once I finished writing it in.

I am not sure what to do with Quintons and Quartons but I definitely gave them Multiweapon Fighting with Large longswords for their melee. Reading their entries, I couldn't think of anything to add to them to make them more unique from one another and the rest of the hierarchs.

Tertians were already done in Dungeon #144 and it was the Tertian that helped me do the ones below its ranks. I've printed it here for completion's sake.

The Secundus was the one I had real trouble on. I upgraded it to be a little more tougher than the Tertian's stats, as you can see, but wasn't sure whether to keep it possessing the abilities of a 13th-level Monk as the 3.0 version had. I thought of possibly lowering it or maybe possibly raising it. When I left it alone, however, I realized it was really powerful, as much as a Solar (which they're compared to you in the article for #354 anyway and should be, since there's only 4 of them). I may definitely have to decrease their natural armor since they now possess an AC of 50 for their high Wisdom score (I gave them Wisdom 30, 2 more than the Tertian) and +2 AC for being 13th-level Monk. Much higher than the Solar and Pit Fiend and with 20th-level Sorceror spellcasting ability with access to Cleric spells to boot...it may just be a bit too high. Well...it's only 8 higher than a pit fiend's, but if they cast mage armor and shield then it's too much lol (though a 1st-level sorceror pit fiend can pull off the same and get 48 AC, and it can wear magic items to beef it up that it possesses and solars may have 35 AC but they cast as 20th-level clerics...so maybe it's not such a big deal a Secundus has 50 AC without buffs...?)

I also gave all hierarchs Improved Toughness as one of their feats along with Great Fortitude, as per the Tertian. It makes them more formidable due to the lack of them being Outsiders (no Constitution score, all poor saves, Medium BAB).

As for their spellcasting I worked it out so Decatons cast up to 5th-level spells, Nonatons and Octons up to 6th-level, Septons and Hextons up to 7th-level, Quintons and Quartons up to 8th-level, Tertian and Secundus 9th-level.

The ones that were psionic got the Psionic subtype and equivalent Psi-Like Abilities to what they had in their 3.0 versions (as per the Expanded Psionics Handbook rules.)

It's still in working condition, at the moment, and I brought it here to share with everyone. If you have suggestions to make, feel free to give them! Like I said, these are still under construction. Comments are appreciated! :D

It's at this hyperlink and it's written using Wordpad (don't ask) and it's in RTF format. Stretch the text to the page width if it looks funky.

Hierarch Modrons

Last edited:

Razz

Banned
Banned
BOZ said:
you should put a link in your sig. :)

I was thinking of that, but since these are still a working progress I brought them here for others to look over and throw out suggestions and comments. I'll post it on my sig when it's complete.

Does anyone have these conversion still floating around by chance. I was literally following in Razz's thought process and doing these same conversions for the same reasons when I thought to look around to see if surely someone had tackled the hierarch modrons before. I would really appreciate a copy if anyone has it.

We had a thread by Goober4473 in which he translated all sorts of extraplanar creatures to 5e, including the Heirarch Modrons, but it was lost in the great server crash. His work evolved into the Planar Bestiary on the DMs Guild, however...

Curandin

Villager
A bit late but.... I think these are Razz's
Decaton (Hierarch Modron)
Medium Construct (Extraplanar, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 10d10+30 (85 hp)
Initiative: 7 (fixed)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 10 ft. (2 squares) [poor]
Armor Class: 25 (+2 Dexterity, +13 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 23
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+10
Attack: Tentacle +10 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: 10 tentacles +10 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, spells
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, construct traits, fixed initiative, coordinated ally, all-around vision, damage reduction 5/adamantine or chaotic, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, modron status, spell resistance 18, telepathy
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +7
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 15, Con --, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 18
Skills: Concentration +10, Diplomacy +16, Gather Information +10, Knowledge (any two) +10, Listen +18, Search +12, Sense Motive +10, Spellcraft +10, Spot +18, Survival +12
Feats: Alertness, Hover, Improved Toughness, Spell Penetration
Environment: Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always lawful neutral
Advancement: By character class

A decaton appears as a tentacled sphere atop a pair of stumpy legs. Its ten tentacles are spaced evenly around its horizontal circumference. Above these are four eyes, also evenly spaced, and a single mouth, which is located at the very top of its body.
Decatons speak their own language, Celestial, Infernal, and the trade tongue of the planes. They receive orders from nonatons and pass them along to pentadrones.
The decatons are the lowest order of officials found in modron society. They oversee the base modrons' physical welfare and serve as the voice of the greater powers to the working class. One decaton is assigned to each of the realm's sixty-four sectors and reports directly to the sector nonaton. Each sector decaton has a personal staff consisting of 5 pentadrones, 16 quadrones, 81 tridrones, 256 duodrones, and 1,728 monodrones, all reporting to their respective superiors in this chain of command. Each of the remaining thirty-six decatons serves on the staff of one of the modron armies.
A decaton can fly by generating a gas that renders it lighter than air. Generally, it rises into the air only while commanding a modron army in the field, to get an overview of the situation.

Combat
A decaton attacks with its spell-like abilities and tentacles in combat.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will---clairaudience/clairvoyance, command, heal (constructs only), mass repair moderate wounds, remove disease, remove paralysis, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), and wall of force. Caster level 10th.

Spells: A decaton modron casts spells as a 10th-level sorceror, and can also choose spells from the cleric list and from the Law domain for its list of spells known. The cleric spells and domain spells are considered arcane spells for a decaton modron, meaning that the creature does not need a divine focus to cast them.

All-Around Vision (Ex): With its three eyes, a decaton can see in all directions at once. Because of this, it gains a +4 racial bonus on Search and Spot checks and cannot be flanked.

Modron Status (Su): Because a decaton is in charge of the physical welfare of modrons, it possesses an ability to ascertain the conditions of modrons within range. A decaton has a constant status effect that applies only to modrons within range of its telepathy.

Telepathy (Su): A decaton can communicate telepathically with any creature within 44 miles that has a language.

Nonaton (Hierarch Modron)
Large Construct (Extraplanar, Lawful, Psionic)
Hit Dice: 12d10+42 (108 hp)
Initiative: 8 (fixed)
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 26 (-1 size, +2 Dexterity, +15 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+18
Attack: Tentacle +13 melee (1d8+5)
Full Attack: 9 tentacles +13 melee (1d8+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Psionics, spell-like abilities, spells
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, construct traits, fixed initiative, coordinated ally, all-around vision, damage reduction 5/adamantine and chaotic, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, spell resistance 20, telepathy
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +8
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 14, Con --, Int 19, Wis 18, Cha 19
Skills: Concentration +10, Diplomacy +14, Gather Information +14, Knowledge (any two) +12, Listen +16, Search +16, Sense Motive +10, Spellcraft +10, Spot +16
Feats: Alertness, Extend Spell, Great Fortitude, Improved Counterspell, Improved Toughness
Challenge Rating: 10

A nonaton appears as a cylinder set vertically on three stumpy legs. Nine tentacles are spaced evenly around the middle of its body, and it has two eyes and two mouths, one of each on either side of its upper portion.
Nonatons speak their own language, Celestial, Infernal, and the trade tongue of the planes. They receive orders from octons and pass them along to decatons. These cylindrical modrons act as commissars and chief inspectors for the modron realm. One nonaton is stationed in each of the sixty-four sectors of Regulus to oversee the actions of the decaton assigned there. These nonatons report to their respective octon governors. Eight monitor the loyalties of the thirty-six decatons in the armies, and the remaining nine carry the orders of the octons to underlings throughout the realm. When required, any nonaton may also serve as additional personal staff for an octon.
Nonatons usually head the teams that investigate rogue modron reports and handle small-party invasions from other planes. In the latter case, they attempt to determine the invaders' intentions, then act accordingly.

Combat
A nonaton attacks with its tentacles, psionics, and spell-like abilities in combat.

Psi-Like Abilities (Sp): At will---aura sight, cloud mind, psionic plane shift. Manifester level 15th.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will---clairaudience/clairvoyance, command, detect thoughts, discern lie, mirror image, slow, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), web, and wall of force; 1/day---power word stun. Caster level 12th.

Spells: A nonaton modron casts spells as a 12th-level sorceror, and can also choose spells from the cleric list and from the Law domain for its list of spells known. The cleric spells and domain spells are considered arcane spells for a nonaton modron, meaning that the creature does not need a divine focus to cast them.

All-Around Vision (Ex): With its three eyes, a nonaton can see in all directions at once. Because of this, it gains a +4 racial bonus on Search and Spot checks and cannot be flanked.

Telepathy (Su): A nonaton can communicate telepathically with any creature within 63 miles that has a language.

Octon (Hierarch Modron)
Large Construct (Lawful, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 14d10+44 (121 hp)
Initiative: 10 (fixed)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 30 ft. (6 squares) [good], swim 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 27 (-1 size, +3 Dexterity, +15 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+20
Attack: Tentacle +15 melee (1d8+6)
Full Attack: 8 tentacles +15 melee (1d8+6)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, construct traits, fixed initiative, coordinated ally, all-around vision, damage reduction 10/adamantine or chaotic, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, spell resistance 22, telepathy
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +9
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 16, Con --, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 19
Skills: Concentration +14, Diplomacy +19, Gather Information +18, Intimidate +18, Knowledge +16 (any two), Listen +18, Search +18, Sense Motive +16, Spellcraft +14, Spot +18,
Swim +13
Feats: Alertness, Extend Spell, Great Fortitude, Improved Counterspell, Improved Toughness
Challenge Rating: 11

An octon is a torpedolike creature with two eyes and two mouths, one of each on either side of its pointed head. The creature appears to be wearing a large collar at shoulder level, but this is actually part of its body. Its eight identical tentacle-arms are placed evenly around the collar's circumference. An octon can move through air or water by forcing either substance through its collar to provide lift and propulsion, as well as significant maneuverability.
Octons speak the modron tongue, plus Auran, Celestial, Infernal, and the trade tongue of the planes. They take orders from septons and pass them along to nonatons.
Each octon governs one of the sixty-four sectors of Regulus and can request aid from the regional army as needed. The lesser modrons of each cogwheel are wards of the octons, who guard their sectors quite rigidly and see that regulations are obeyed, routine is observed, and reports are correct. When required, these same octons may leave their sectors to serve the septons directly.
Each octon has a personal staff of one nonaton, who in turn commands one decaton, who controls a staff of base modrons as noted in its description (above). These forces maintain and guard the sector towers where the octons live. When required, an octon can command one or more additional nonatons into service as personal staff.

Combat
An octon attacks with its spell-like abilities and tentacles.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will---clairaudience/clairvoyance, command, detect good, detect evil, haste, telekinesis, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), wall of force, and water walk. Caster level 13th.

Spells: An octon modron casts spells as a 13th-level sorceror, and can also choose spells from the cleric list and from the Law domain for its list of spells known. The cleric spells and domain spells are considered arcane spells for a decaton modron, meaning that the creature does not need a divine focus to cast them.

All-Around Vision (Ex): With its three eyes, an octon can see in all directions at once. Because of this, it gains a +4 racial bonus on Search and Spot checks and cannot be flanked.

Telepathy (Su): An octon can communicate telepathically with any creature within 80 miles that has a language.

Septon (Hierarch Modron)
Medium Construct (Extraplanar, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 16d10+36 (124 hp)
Initiative: 11 (fixed)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), swim 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 29 (+4 Dexterity, +15 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 25
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+15
Attack: Slam +15 melee (1d6+3) or longsword +15 melee (1d8+3, longsword)
Full Attack: 7 slams +15 melee (1d6+3) or longswords +11 melee (1d8+3, longsword) and 6 longswords +11 melee (1d8+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, construct traits, fixed initiative, coordinated ally, detect magic, detect thoughts, damage reduction 10/adamantine or chaotic, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, item mastery, spell resistance 24, telepathy
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +10
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 18, Con --, Int 22, Wis 20, Cha 21
Skills: Concentration +20, Diplomacy +21, Gather Information +25, Knowledge (any two) +20, Listen +25, Search +28, Sense Motive +19, Spellcraft +20, Spot +25, Swim +13
Feats: Alertness, Craft Staff , Craft Wand , Craft Wondrous Item , Extend Spell, Forge Ring , Great Fortitude, Improved Toughness, Investigator, Multiweapon Fighting, Scribe Scroll
Challenge Rating: 13

A septon appears as a humanoid with a large, bald head. Like an octon, it has a shoulder collar, though that of the septon is smaller, supporting only seven identical arms. This collar enables the creature to move underwater, but not through air. A septon has two eyes, one nose, and one mouth, all placed on the same side of its head. However, it has seven senses, all of which operate continuously: hearing, sight, smell, taste, touch, detect thoughts, and detect magic.
Septons speak the modron language, Auran, Celestial, Infernal, and the trade tongue of the planes. They receive their orders from hextons and pass them along to octons.
Septons maintain order and see that all regulations are obeyed. They travel from place to place in Regulus, inspecting structures, examining work and records, and transferring information from outlying areas to the towers of the quartons, secundi, and Primus itself.
In addition to these duties, one septon directly serves each hexton, and others may also be attached to a hexton's staff as needed. When a septon requires a personal guard, it can command one or more octons to accompany it on its travels.

Combat
A septon attacks with its spells, spell-like abilities, and claws in combat.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will---clairaudience/clairvoyance, command, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), and wall of force. Caster level 14th.

Spells: A septon modron casts spells as a 14th-level sorceror, and can also choose spells from the cleric list and from the Law domain for its list of spells known. The cleric spells and domain spells are considered arcane spells for a decaton modron, meaning that the creature does not need a divine focus to cast them.

Detect Magic (Su): This effect functions exactly like the spell, except that it is constantly in effect and has a 30-foot range. The creature can suppress this ability at will. If the effect is dispelled, the septon can reactivate it as a free action.

Detect Thoughts (Su): This effect functions exactly like the spell, except that it is constantly in effect and has a 30-foot range. The creature can suppress this ability at will. If the effect is dispelled, the septon can reactivate it as a free action.

Item Mastery (Ex): Septons can use any magic items, even spell completion items such as wands and scrolls.

Telepathy (Su): A septon can communicate telepathically with any creature within 190 miles that has a language.

Hexton (Hierarch Modron)
Hit Dice: 18d10+48 (147 hp)
Initiative: 12 (fixed)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 30 ft. (6 squares) [average]
Armor Class: 30 (-1 size, +3 Dexterity, +18 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 27
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+25
Attack: Slam +20 melee (2d6+8)
Full Attack: 2 slams +20 melee (2d6+8), 4 claws +17 melee (2d4+4)
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, spells, repetitive attack
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, construct traits, fixed initiative, coordinated ally, linked mind, damage reduction 10/adamantine and chaotic, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, spell resistance 25, telepathy
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +9, Will +13
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 17, Con --, Int 24, Wis 23, Cha 22
Skills: Concentration +17, Diplomacy +25, Gather Information +22, Intimidate +25, Knowledge (any two) +24, Listen +27, Search +24, Sense Motive +22, Spellcraft +24, Spot +27
Feats: Alertness, Extend Spell, Great Fortitude, Improved Counterspell, Improved Toughness, Multiattack, Power Attack
Organization: Solitary or with guard (12-48 pentadrones)
Challenge Rating: 14

A hexton appears as a humanoid with six arms-two large human arms, each ending in a hand with six fingers, plus four tentacles tipped with sharp claws. From its back sprouts a pair of thin, fanlike wings.
Hextons speak the modron language, plus Auran, Celestial, Infernal, and the trade tongue of the planes. They receive their orders from quintons and pass them along to septons.
Each hexton serves as the general of one of the thirty-six modron armies. One of these armies is attached to each of the sixteen sectors, two serve each of the four secundi, three serve the tertians, and the remaining nine are at the disposal of Primus itself. (Of course, the hextons are unaware of the existence of the hierarchs whom their armies ultimately serve.) Some of the hexton generals also have additional tasks-for example, one serves on the personal staff of each of the twenty-five quintons. Hextons undoubtedly handle additional duties as well, though no one has ever logged all of their posts.
There is a 75% chance that any hexton is accompanied by a personal guard consisting of one septon, two octons, three nonatons, five decatons, and twenty-five pentadrones, all fanatic in their dedication.

Combat
A hexton attacks with its spells, spell-like abilities, fists, and claws in combat.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will---clairaudience/clairvoyance, command, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), and wall of force. Caster level 15th.

Spells: A hexton modron casts spells as a 15th-level sorceror, and can also choose spells from the cleric list and from the Law domain for its list of spells known. The cleric spells and domain spells are considered arcane spells for a decaton modron, meaning that the creature does not need a divine focus to cast them.

Repetitive Attack (Ex): If a hexton makes a full-attack actin aganst the same target on consecutive turns, it gains a +2 bonus on its attack rolls. Changing targets or performing any other action causes the hexton to lose this bonus.

Linked Minds (Ex): As generals of modron armies, it is up to the hextons to keep order and maintain control during battle. As such, hextons possess the ability to link all the minds of the modrons he leads (or is led by) to perform more efficiently when conflict is inevitable. All modrons within range of the hexton's telepathy are in constant communication. If one is aware of a particular danger, they all are. If one in the group is not flat-footed, none of them are. No modron in the group is considered flanked unless all of them are. This ability is ineffective if there're no modrons within range.

Telepathy (Su): A hexton can communicate telepathically with any creature within 216 miles that has a language.

Quinton (Hierarch Modron)
Hit Dice: 21d10+51 (166 hp)
Initiative: 13 (fixed)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 20 ft. (4 squares) [average]
Armor Class: 31 (-1 size, +3 Dexterity, +19 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 28
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+28
Attack: Slam +23 melee (2d6+9/19-20) or Large longsword (2d6+9)
Full Attack: 4 slams +23 melee (2d6+9/19-20), tail slap +19 melee (2d6+9) or Large longswords +19 melee (2d6+9/17-20) and 4 Large longswords +19 melee (2d6+4)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, construct traits, fixed initiative, coordinated ally, damage reduction 10/adamantine and chaotic, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, spell resistance 27, telepathy
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +14
Abilities: Str 29, Dex 17, Con --, Int 26, Wis 23, Cha 22
Skills: Concentration +21, Diplomacy +29, Gather Information +27, Knowledge (any three) +32, Listen +32, Search +29, Sense Motive +28, Spellcraft +29, Spot +32
Feats: Alertness, Empower Spell, Extend Spell, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (longsword), Improved Toughness, Multiweapon Fighting, Widen Spell
Challenge Rating: 16

A quinton is a tall, stocky humanoid with four flexible arms jutting out from its shoulders and a prehensile tail that serves as a fifth arm. Each of its five arms ends in a five-fingered hand. From its back sprouts a pair of fanlike wings, similar to those of a hexton. A diamond inscribed in the quinton's forehead serves as a symbol of rank.
Quintons speak the modron tongue, plus Abyssal, Auran, Celestial, Infernal, and the trade tongue of the planes. They receive orders from quartons and pass them along to hextons.
The quintons are the bureau chiefs and recordkeepers of Mechanus. Each quinton heads a separate bureau---there is one bureau in each of the regional and quarter towers, plus five in Primus's tower. Each quinton has one hexton assistant, who in turn can put additional lower-ranked modrons at its supervisor's disposal.

Combat
A quinton attacks with its spells, spell-like abilities, and fists in combat.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will---clairaudience/clairvoyance, command, detect evil, detect good, detect magic, legend lore, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), and wall of force. Caster level 16th.

Spells: A quinton modron casts spells as a 16th-level sorceror, and can also choose spells from the cleric list and from the Law domain for its list of spells known. The cleric spells and domain spells are considered arcane spells for a decaton modron, meaning that the creature does not need a divine focus to cast them.

Telepathy (Su): A quinton can communicate telepathically with any creature within 238 miles that has a language.

Quarton (Hierarch Modron)
Hit Dice: 23d10+53 (179 hp)
Initiative: 15 (fixed)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 90 ft. (18 squares) [good]
Armor Class: 34 (-1 size, +4 Dexterity, +21 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 30
Base Attack/Grapple: +17/+32
Attack: Large longsword +27 melee (2d6+11)
Full Attack: Large longsword +23 melee (2d6+11) and 3 Large longswords +23 melee (2d6+5)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, construct traits, fixed initiative, coordinated ally, damage reduction 15/adamantine and chaotic, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, spell resistance 29, telepathy
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +11, Will +14
Abilities: Str 32, Dex 19, Con --, Int 27, Wis 24, Cha 24
Skills: Concentration +23, Diplomacy +32, Gather Information +30, Intimidate +14, Knowledge (any three) +31, Listen +34, Search +31, Sense Motive +30, Spellcraft +31, Spot +34
Feats: Alertness, Empower Spell, Extend Spell, Great Fortitude, Improved Toughness, Multiweapon Fighting, Power Attack, Spell Penetration
Organization: Solitary or with guard (36 pentadrones)
Challenge Rating: 17

A quarton is a 12-foot-tall humanoid with four jointed arms. A pair of large, fanlike wings sprouts from its back.
Quartons speak the modron language, plus Abyssal, Auran, Celestial, Infernal, and the trade tongue of the planes. They take orders from tertians and relay them to quintons.
Each quarton administers one of the sixteen sectors of the modron realm. It oversees the operation of the bureau, governors, and army attached to its regions.
Each quarton has a personal staff consisting of the quinton and all the lower-ranked hierarchs assigned to its region, plus thirty-six pentadrones that act as a personal guard unit.

Combat
A quarton attacks with its spells, spell-like abilities, and fists in combat.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will---clairaudience/clairvoyance, command, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), and wall of force. Caster level 17th.

Spells: A quarton modron casts spells as a 17th-level sorceror, and can also choose spells from the cleric list and from the Law domain for its list of spells known. The cleric spells and domain spells are considered arcane spells for a decaton modron, meaning that the creature does not need a divine focus to cast them.

Telepathy (Su): A quarton can communicate telepathically with any creature within 384 miles that has a language.

Tertian (Hierarch Modron) *Official
Large Construct (Extraplanar, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 26d10+30 (199 hp)
Initiative: +18 [fixed]
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 39 (-1 size, +5 Dexterity, +24 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 34
Base Attack/Grapple: +19/+36
Attack:* Tail slap +27 melee (4d6+22 plus stunning blow)
Full Attack:* Tail slap +27 melee (4d6+22 plus stunning blow), 2 slams +25 melee (2d6+11)
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, spells, stun
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 15/adamantine and chaotic, fixed initiative, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, spell resistance 31, telepathy
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +17
Abilities: Str 36, Dex 21, Con --, Int 30, Wis 28, Cha 26
Skills: Concentration +29, Diplomacy +41, Gather Information +37, Intimidate +37, Knowledge (arcana) +39, Knowledge (history) +39, Knowledge (the planes) +39, Listen +40, Search +39, Sense Motive +38, Spellcraft +43, Spot +40
Feats: Cleave, Empower Spell, Extend Spell, Great Fortitude, Improved Toughness, Maximize Spell, Multiattack, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (wall of force)
Challenge Rating: 19
*5-point Power Attack

A tertian looks like a 12-foot-tall human with horns jutting from the sides of its bald head. As a third "arm," it has a long, prehensile tail that ends in a macelike ball.
Tertians speak the modron tongue, plus Abyssal, Auran, Celestial, Infernal, and the trade tongue of the planes. They accept orders from the secundi, to whom they all report, and relay them to quartons.
Trial, judgment, and sentencing of all creatures in the modron realm is the province of the nine tertians, who hear all cases involving crimes against the rigid orthodoxy of Regulus. Rogue modrons trials make up the bulk of their caseload.
To the bulk of the modron population, the tertians are alien and unfamiliar creatures-the ultimate impartial judges. A duodrone accused of a crime might possibly imagine (if it can imagine at all) the tertian to be some incomprehensible manifestation of the supreme logic-a "super-tridrone," so to speak.
The tertians have a total of three armies at their disposal for use in law enforcement. In addition, these hierarchs supervise the quartons, and two tertians directly serve each of the four secundi.

Combat
A tertian attacks with its spells, spell-like abilities, fists, and tail in combat.

Fixed Initiative (Ex): Modrons have a limited form of prescience that governs when they take action in a conflict, and they never waver from this schedule. As a result, a modron's initiative check is always equal to half its Hit Dice, modified by its Dexterity modifier. When combat begins, a modron uses this number as its initiative---it never rolls an initiative check.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will---clairaudience/clairvoyance, command (DC 19), greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), wall of force. Caster level 19th.

Spells: A tertian modron casts spells as a 19th-level sorceror, and can also choose spells from the cleric list and from the Law domain for its list of spells known. The cleric spells and domain spells are considered arcane spells for a tertian modron, meaning that the creature does not need a divine focus to cast them.

Stunning Blow (Ex): A creature struck by a tertian's tail slam must make a DC 36 Fortitude save or be stunned for 1d4 rounds. The save DC is Strength-based.

Telepathy (Su): A tertian can communicate telepathically with any creature within 405 miles that has a language.

Secundus (Hierarch Modron)
Large Construct (Extraplanar, Lawful, Psionic)
Hit Dice: 30d10+60 (225 hp)
Initiative: 21 (fixed)
Speed: 70 ft. (14 squares), fly 50 ft. (10 squares) [good]
Armor Class: 50 (-1 size, +4 Dexterity, +25 natural, +10 Wisdom, +2 monk), touch 22, flat-footed 46
Base Attack/Grapple: +22/+40
Attack: Unarmed strike +30 (4d6+19 plus stunning blow)
Full Attack: Unarmed strike +30/+30/+30/+25/+20/+15 melee (4d6+19 plus stunning blow)
Special Attacks: Psionics, spell-like abilities, spells, greater flurry, unarmed strike, ki strike (magic, lawful), stunning attack (DC 35)
Special Qualities: Construct traits, abundant step, damage reduction 15/adamantine and chaotic and epic, fast movement, diamond body, improved evasion, purity of body,
resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, spell resistance 35, still mind, slow fall (60 ft.), wholeness of body (26 hp), diamond soul, telepathy
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +16, Will +20
Abilities: Str 38, Dex 22, Con --, Int 33, Wis 30, Cha 28
Skills: Balance +10, Concentration +33, Diplomacy +46, Gather Information +42, Intimidate +42, Jump +34, Knowledge (any three) +44, Listen +45, Search +44, Sense Motive +43, Spellcraft +44, Spot +45, Tumble +39
Feats: Cleave, Combat Reflexes , Empower Spell, Extend Spell, Great Cleave, Great Fortitude, Improved Counterspell, Improved Grapple , Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike), Improved Trip , Improved Toughness, Improved Unarmed Strike , Maximize Spell, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (wall of force)
Challenge Rating: 23
*5-point Power Attack

A secundus appears as an incredibly thin, tall humanoid with a long, narrow face and deep-set eyes. Though it has no class levels, it has all the class features of a 13th-level monk.
Secundi speak their own language, plus Abyssal, Auran, Celestial, Infernal, Sylvan, and the trade tongue of the planes. They take orders only from Primus itself and relay those to the tertians.
The four secundi serve as viceroys of the quarters. These powerful beings are the virtual rulers of Mechanus, reporting only to Primus. Each secundus has a staff of two tertians, who in turn command other hierarchs.
The secundi live in great towered cities near the centers of their quarters and always work in harmony with one another. When Primus dies, one of the secundi is promoted to take its place.

Combat
A secundus attacks using its fists, spells, spell-like abilities, and psionics in combat.

Psi-Like Abilities: At will---aura sight, cloud mind, psionic plane shift, psionic suggestion, and read thoughts. Manifester level 20th.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will---clairaudience/clairvoyance, command, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), and wall of force. Caster level 20th.

Spells: A secundus modron casts spells as a 20th-level sorceror, and can also choose spells from the cleric list and from the Law domain for its list of spells known. The cleric spells and domain spells are considered arcane spells for a tertian modron, meaning that the creature does not need a divine focus to cast them.

Stunning Blow (Ex): A creature struck by a secundus' unarmed strike must make a DC 39 Fortitude save or be stunned for 1d4 rounds. The save DC is Strength-based.

Abundant Step (Sp): The secundus can slip magically between spaces, as though through a dimension door spell cast by a 9th-level sorcerer, once per day.

Diamond Body (Su): Immune to poison.

Purity of Body: Immune to all diseases except magical ones.

Still Mind: A secundus gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects from the Enchantment school.

Slow Fall: A secundus within arm's reach of a wall can use that to slow its descent. It takes damage as though the fall were 60 feet shorter than it actually is.

Wholeness of Body (Su): A secundus can cure its own wounds, healing up to 26 hp per day. It can spread this healing out among several uses if desired.

Telepathy (Su): Secundi can communicate telepathically with any creature within 420 miles that has a language.

Remove ads