High Fantasy - Route 66 [update 12-16]

For those of you just joining us, this thread was originally over a year old, and now the original DM has come in to write full storyhours, whereas I was just posting snippets. I'm editing this so the first post in the storyhour is here. Look for the second post of the actual story about 21 posts down, by Acquana, as she is the real DM. You can mostly ignore these first few posts.

P.S., Now Jessica is my ex-girlfriend, but we're still buddies.

My girlfriend Jessica is running a game at the Savannah College of Art & Design, set on modern earth (actually in 1996), only with fantasy involved. This takes place in the same setting as the Savannah Knights storyhour (which is linked in my sig), only 4 years earlier.

High Fantasy
Route 66

July 2nd, 1996
Savannah, Georgia, USA

It is still months before the Presidential elections, still several weeks before the Olympics, and still two days before the 4th of July. It is Indepence Day, however. Or at least it’s out in theaters.

Twilight Lokya works in Savannah, Georgia at a local television station, and as the last job of her shift she’s one of the camera women filming outside the largest theater in town (though that’s not saying much). The crowds that have gathered for the premiere have garnered enough attention for a short spot on the evening news. Welcome to Savannah. Small news elsewhere is big news.

Others have decided to attend the showing, job or no. Trudi Schnieder—a tall, loudmouthed chick of 20 built like a truck—along with her two friends Colleen Gray and Lorrie Gilcrest, have decided to go see it as well. All three are students at the Savannah College of Art and Design, and Lorrie—Trudi’s roommate—was more or less convinced to come along, since she’s not as much of a nerd as Colleen (a sequential art major who has been chomping at the bit to see this since she saw the special on the Sci-fi Channel) or as nutty as Trudi. So it’s a girl’s night out.

Jared Bellmount, a somewhat unassuming man in his early twenties, got his ticket early, and is occupying himself with the newest games in the theater’s arcade. As a game designer himself, Jared is always willing to see, and play, what’s attracting attention.

Alone this night as well is Watanabe, a young, brown-haired woman who all her life has looked younger than she really is. With the build and soft face of a sixteen-year old, few would guess she's actually nearly 25. She waits in line for her ticket, occasionally glancing at the extremely short woman further back in the line.

That particular short woman is aware that she attracts attention. She is also aware that if she were not magically disguised, then she’d attact even more. Delria is part brownie, part true Fey, and thus a set of bright wings sprout from her shoulders, and her hair is a gentle blue. Thankfully, the mundanes—as the magic races refer to humans with no knowledge of magic—can’t see any of this, and to them she appears simply as a rather short woman. Confident in her disguise, she's here to enjoy a night off from her job at the Bureau for the Management of Magic. She is only a lowly intern now, serving coffee and making deliveries throughout the offices inbetween the hours slaving over copiers; but her hope is to someday join the Knights. The Knights are the Bureau’s police-force, and Delria has had her eyes on such a honored position for quite some time. Well, honored in her own opinion, anyway.

Magic means nothing to Twilight, and she and her coworkers finish the news spot boredly. As they pack up, Twilight glances up long enough to see a bat. Normally she wouldn’t be too unnerved by it, but since this is the tenth time she’s managed to catch a glimpse of it—it almost looks like a fruit bat, which aren’t supposed to live anywhere near the eastern coast of the U.S—she grows somewhat nervous. Before she can devote any more attention to the bat, several of her coworkers who managed to get their hands on some tickets invite her to go with them to see the movie.

Jared finally runs out of quarters at the arcade and begins to
make his way into the theater. As he walks toward a seat in the back, a couple passes by him and his nose wrinkles in disgust at their stench. Living in Savannah, he’s used to the smell of papermill lingering around the historic district, but he didn’t think it usually traveled to the south side of town. Or indoors.

Trudi, Colleen, and Lorrie take their seats in the dead center of the slowly filling theater. Trudi holds tightly to the massive bucket of popcorn she bought, and smiles. Nearby, Delria slips between the mundanes twice her size to find a seat near the front. Watanabe takes a seat on the left, and Twilight and her corworkers, being among the last inside, get stuck near the very back row.

Lights turn off, the projector turns on.

The movie goes on without a hitch, save for a group of highschoolers near the front of the theater who are being overly loud. One of them turns around and looks at the nearest few rows behind him, sniffing and nearly wretching. He complains to his friends, and within a few moments they’ve pinpointed the source of the stench: a couple sitting next to the aisle two rows back. The husband of the couple is grimacing and glancing around nervously. Finally, one of the highschoolers shouts, “Man, why don’t you just get up and get yo’ stanky ass outta the theater?”

Sitting a few rows behind the smelly couple, Trudi shouts back, “Shut up, I’m watching the movie!”

A brief shouting squabble breaks out between Trudi and the highschoolers, and Jared, losing his patience, gets up from his seat and heads for the kids in front to tell them to calm down. Before he can get there, though, the husband from the couple stands up and starts shouting back, demanding they leave him and his wife in peace. Groaning, Jared stops next to the man and reaches out a hand to try to calm him down.

Then he sees the wife, and shouts, “Oh crap! Is your wife okay?”

The man sneers and moves to shield his wife’s pale, mottled face. He shouts, “Leave my wife alone! Everyone just leave us alone!”

Delria, trying to ignore the argument and just watch as the alien spacecraft begin to emit a blue glow, winces as she senses a magical aura in the room. At the same moment, the shouting husband becomes quiet, looking around in worry. From across the theater, he and Delria spot each other. Fey-blooded, Delria can easily spot the magical aura around him, identifying him as a mage. Unfortunately for her, he can just as easily see through her magical disguise.

Pulling his limp wife to her feet, he shouts, “The Bureau! Keep away!”

Delria jumps up onto her seat to shout a warning, but before she gets a chance, the man’s wife reaches out with clawing fingers toward Jared, moaning dully. Her face lifts to stare at Jared, and he gets a clear look at her decomposing features a second before the zombie wife lunges for him. He screams and tries to pull away, and Delria shouts for the them to stop.

Panicking, the man pulls his undead wife back to him and begins to chant an incantation. Nearly every head in the theater turns to him as a chill aura pierces the room, and as his voice reaches a snarling crescendo, he thrusts out his hand at Delria and fires his spell. On the screen, a laser beam from the alien spacecraft demolishes New York city, just as a lashing line of black energy shoots toward Delria.

Many in the audience screams and begins to scramble out of their seats. But around the theater, a few brave individuals start toward the necromancer, looking for some way to protect the innocent. Delria jumps across the tops of seats, seeing her chance to prove her worth to the Bureau. Watanabe tries to keep the fleeing crowd organized as they surge out the exits. Twilight feels a strange chill run down her neck as she hears a faint voice warning her from her purse. Jared scrambles to his feet and looks for something to fend off the zombie.

And Trudi, ignorant of why her friends are fleeing in panic, keeps her eyes peeled at the on-screen explosive, and screams. “Cool!”

Last edited:

Sorry, no storyhour. Those take too much time. I just thought I'd post the funnier bits, since it's a lot more light-hearted than Savannah Knights.

Like the Knights of the Round (a group devoted to killing non-human magical creatures), who had modeled their powers after characters from Japanese animation. The PCs were trying to track them down, and followed them to an anime convention, where the badguys were all in costume. The opposition consisted of Shinji from Evangelion (a weakling, but who goes berserk), Tenchi from Tenchi Muyo (a swordsman), Sailor Mars from Sailor Moon (a fire-using sorceress), Lime from an anime I forget (bouncy giddy martial arts chick), Zelgadiss from Slayers (a swordsman/sorcerer with rock skin), and Inu Yasha from Inu Yasha (a dog-man samurai).

I'm not actually playing in this game, I'm just hearing the amusing anecdotes from Jessie, and helping her out here and there in the planning.

Here are the PCs.

Trudi, a human fighter. She's a bit on the dim side, and doughty-looking, but very tough. She partially bonded with a ghost, though something went wrong. Now the ghost is stuck with Trudi, but Trudi can't actually do any magic, nor can she see her ghost. The ghost can only levitate things to communicate with her, and it has recently become fond of using a pad and pen to write, "Idiot!" whenever Trudi fails to realize that the rest of the party is in trouble. Like when the anime-themed Knights of the Round started casting spells, Trudi didn't realize that they were using real magic. She just thought they were devoted fans.

Delria, a brownie with blood of the high fey. She basically looks like a halfling with butterfly wings, though she's equipped with an illusion-making item to conceal her as a ten-year old. She used to just be a secretary at the Bureau, but when she led the rest of the group in stopping the movie-theater necromancer, the Bureau promoted her to a low-level position as an agent.

Jared Bellmont, a psychic warrior who is thoroughly creeped out by his boss (and who wouldn't be creeped out by a Mind Flayer). When the group is assigned to track down some road-happy criminals who seem to style themselves as 1920's-style bank robbers (they call themselves "The Untouchables"), Jared distinguished himself by impusively leaping into the back of The Untouchables' van, only to find himself surrounded by four people, including a Minotaur.

Twilight, I honestly don't remember anything about, meaning she's probably not as funny as everyone else. :)

Watanabe, much like Twilight, doesn't stick out in my mind, though one of them is a druid, and one of them has a bat familiar (which is actually possessed by her ghost, who was in life a Russian secret agent).

There are two more PCs, but they didn't show up until later. As you may notice, there's only one guy, and five women (including the DM). They would've had another guy, but he claimed he was "weirded out" by playing with all women.

Lela

First Post
RangerWickett said:

There are two more PCs, but they didn't show up until later. As you may notice, there's only one guy, and five women (including the DM). They would've had another guy, but he claimed he was "weirded out" by playing with all women.

I'm failing to see the problem with playing with a group of women. :confused: :D

Ditto. They're all fun people, though one is a horrible munchkin. One of the later players convinced Jessie to let her play a centaur fighter in a group of 3rd level characters. Sure, she has an item that lets her polymorph into human form so she can go around discreetly, but when they get into combat, she goes into horse shape and beats things up way too easily.

Oh, and Jessie informed me that though the player is a she, the character is a he. The picture is just very bishounen (a Japanese style that makes men look effeminate).

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
It's not fair, RangerWicket!!!!! :(

When I read the subject I think Another High Fantasy story Hour!!!! Cool!!!! Thanks, RW!!!! and not, it's not going to be a full story hour :( :(

Well, I know a story hour is a tough work, and takes too much time (hey, I tried it until my campaign sank) but I would love another High Fantasy story... :)

Thanks a lot for all the snippets you have given, and please, post as many details as you can :)

Well, Jessie's game is on hiatus since she and her players are out of college for the summer. I'll try to get her to post.

Just as a teaser . . . you know how New Orleans is famous for being a hotspot of 'vampires,' or at least goths who like vampires? Well, just consider how often a poor bum must be wandering the streets of New Orleans, confused, wondering why two chicks just bit him on the neck in that nightclub. Most of them don't make it past their first sunrise.

Darklone

Looks very funny, RW!

I can only agree with Lela, where is the problem with playing with women? Ok, it can be a shock how some of them start to powergame more than the worst of us could have thought possible....

But it's still an experience I don't wanna miss!

RW, pleeeeeeeze make sure that SH is posted till Horacio is back!

Remove ads