High Fantasy - Route 66 [update 12-16]

Lela

First Post
Darklone said:
Looks very funny, RW!

I can only agree with Lela, where is the problem with playing with women? Ok, it can be a shock how some of them start to powergame more than the worst of us could have thought possible....

But it's still an experience I don't wanna miss!

RW, pleeeeeeeze make sure that SH is posted till Horacio is back!

Especally if I'm the only guy. :D :D :D :D

cthuluftaghn

First Post
I kinda like the idea of a thread of "snippets" as a break between reading long posts. But, I would like more details of the story behind them. I've got four women that play in my campaign at various times, and they are SO into their characters. They love trying to out-do the guys. I've never had any experience w/ a female DM.... I'd like to hear about what happens.

Lela

First Post
I've also noticed that the female player in my group, besides having a great body (okay, I admit it, I'm dating her), is also one of the best RPers. She usually seems to take over if the entire party is together and in a social situation. The guys are just there for cutting baddies down.

Though, if I can get the group to spread out and do their own thing, they can really have the time of their lives RPing.

Last edited:

cthuluftaghn

First Post
In retrospect... a large part of the roleplaying during our last session revolved around fashion sense. That's not a sexist remark... that's the honest truth. A new female PC was being introduced to the party..... the other two women players went all out to make her feel welcome. They commented on her hair, her skin tone, her clothing... asked about her upbringing, relationship to her father.... I think that single introduction took up a whole "between smoke breaks" segment of the session!

You can expect the first real update this Saturday.

Just as a reminder:

High Fantasy
Route 66

Start Date: July 2nd, 1996
Start Location: Savannah, GA

Sample NPCs: A group of Knights of the Round, using their magical skills to have impressively convincing costumes at an anime convention.

Lela

First Post
RangerWickett said:

Sample NPCs: A group of Knights of the Round, using their magical skills to have impressively convincing costumes at an anime convention.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :rolleyes:

July 2nd, 1996
Savannah, Georgia, USA

Still months before the Presidential elections, still several weeks before the Olympics, and two days before the 4th of July. It is Indepence Day, however. Or at least it’s out in theaters.
Twilight Lokya works in Savannah, Georgia at a local television station, and as the last job of her shift she’s one of the camera women filming outside the largest theater in town (though that’s not saying much). The crowds that have gathered for the premiere have garnered enough attention for a short spot on the evening news. Welcome to Savannah. Small news elsewhere is big news.

Others have decided to attend the showing, job or no. Trudi Schnieder—a tall, loudmouthed chick of 20 built like a truck—along with her two friends Colleen Gray and Lorrie Gilcrest, have decided to go see it as well. All three are students at the Savannah College of Art and Design, and Lorrie—Trudi’s roommate—was more or less convinced to come along, since she’s not as much of a nerd as Colleen (a sequential art major who has been chomping at the bit to see this since she saw the special on the Sci-fi Channel) or as nutty as Trudi. So it’s a girl’s night out.

Jared Bellmount, a somewhat unassuming man in his early twenties got his ticket early, and is occupying himself with the newest games in the theater’s arcade. As a game designer himself, Jared is always willing to see, and play, what’s attracting attention.

Alone this night as well is Watanabe, a young, brown-haired woman who all her life has looked younger than she really is. With the build and soft face of a sixteen-year old, she hardly looks her real age of nearly 25. She waits in line for her ticket, turning her head away so the extremely short woman back in the line won’t notice that she’s staring at her.

That particular short woman is aware that she attracts attention. She is also aware that if she were not magically disguised then she’d attact even more. Delria is part halfling, part true Fey, and thus a set of bright wings sprout from her shoulders, and her hair is a gentle blue. Thankfully, the mundanes—as the magic races refer to humans with no knowledge of magic—can’t see any of this, so she can simply enjoy a night off from her job at the Bureau for the Management of Magicks. She is only a lowly intern now, serving coffee and making deliveries throughout the offices inbetween the hours slaving over copiers; but her hopes is to someday join the Knights. The Knights are the Bureau’s police-force, and Delria has had her eyes on such a honored position for quite some time. Well, honored in her own opinion, anway.

Magic means nothing to Twilight as she and her coworkers finish the news spot. As they pack up, Twilight glances up long enough to see a bat. Normally she wouldn’t be too unnerved by it, but since this is no less than the tenth time that she’s managed to catch a glimpse of it—it almost looks like a fruit bat, which aren’t supposed to live anywhere near the eastern coast of the U.S—she grows somewhat nervous. Before she can devote any more attention to the bat, several of her coworkers who managed to get their hands on some tickets invite her to go with them to see the movie.

Jared finally runs out of quarters at the arcade and begins to
make his way into the theater. As he walks toward a seat in the back, a couple passes by him and his nose wrinkles in disgust at their stench. Living in Savannah, he’s used to the smell of papermill lingering around the historic district, but he didn’t think it usually traveled to the south side of town. Or indoors.

Trudi, Colleen, and Lorrie take their seats in the dead center of the slowly filling theater. Trudi holds tightly to the massive bucket of popcorn she bought and smiles. Nearby, Delria slips between the mundanes twice her size to find a seat near the front. Watanabe takes a seat on the left, and Twilight and her corworkers, being among the last inside, get stuck near the very back row.

Lights turn off, projector turns on.

The movie goes on without a hitch, save for a group of highschoolers near the front of the theater who are being overly loud. One of them turns around and looks at the nearest few rows behind him, sniffing and nearly wretching. He complains to his friends, and within a few moments they’ve pinpointed the source of the stench: a couple sitting next to the aisle two rows back. The husband of the couple is grimacing and glancing around nervously. Finally, one of the highschoolers shouts, “Man, why don’t you just get up and get yo’ stanky ass outta the theater?”

Sitting a few rows behind the smelly couple, Trudi shouts back, “Shut up, I’m watching the movie!”

A brief shouting squabble breaks out between Trudi and the highschoolers, and Jared, losing his patience, gets up from his seat and heads for the kids in front to tell them to calm down. Before he can get there, though, the husband from the couple stands up and starts shouting back, demanding they leave him and his wife in peace. Groaning, Jared stops next to the man and reaches out a hand to try to calm him down.

Then he sees the wife, and shouts, “Oh crap! Is your wife okay?”

The man sneers and moves to shield his wife’s pale, mottled face. He shouts, “Leave my wife alone! Everyone just leave us alone!”

Delria, trying to ignore the argument and just watch as the alien spacecraft begin to emit a blue glow, winces as she senses a magical aura in the room. At the same moment, the shouting husband becomes quiet, looking around in worry. From across the theater, he and Delria spot each other. Fey-blooded, Delria can easily spot the magical aura around him, identifying him as a mage. Unfortunately for her, he can just as easily see through her magical disguise.

Pulling his limp wife to her feet, he shouts, “The Bureau! Keep away!”

Delria jumps up onto her seat to shout a warning, but before she gets a chance, the man’s wife reaches out with clawing fingers toward Jared, moaning dully. Her face lifts to stare at Jared, and he gets a clear look at her decomposing features a second before the zombie wife lunges for him. He screams and tries to pull away, and Delria shouts for the them to stop.

Panicking, the man pulls his undead wife back to him and begins to chant an incantation. Nearly every head in the theater turns to him as a chill aura pierces the room, and as his voice reaches a snarling crescendo, he thrusts out his hand at Delria and fires his spell. On the screen, a laser beam from the alien spacecraft demolishes New York city, just as a lashing line of black energy shoots toward Delria.

Many in the audience screams and begins to scramble out of their seats. But around the theater, a few brave individuals start toward the necromancer, looking for some way to protect the innocent. Delria jumps across the tops of seats, seeing her chance to prove her worth to the Bureau. Watanabe tries to keep the fleeing crowd organized as they surge out the exits. Twilight feels a strange chill run down her neck as she hears a faint voice warning her from her purse. Jared scrambles to his feet and looks for something to fend off the zombie.

And Trudi, ignorant of why her friends are fleeing in panic, keeps her eyes peeled at the on-screen explosive, and screams. “Cool!”

Lela

First Post
cthuluftaghn said:
I agree with Trudi..... Cool!

Way cool. Great image. I could really see the exploding background and the real action up front going on together.

Cinimatography at it's finest.

Remove ads