• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E High level characters: A one off

Recently, for my friend's father's birthday, he asked if I could DM for them for a 12 hour stretch all day. Of course I agreed, but my dad wanted to play his 16th level wizard he has been playing on and off for over three decades. Thinking about how everyone says D&D is typically broken at high levels (and for sure, I have always hated DMing for high level characters like this) I shrugged, and allowed everyone, if they didn't have one, to make an equal level character. What I was left with was a ranger, 2 fighters (one archer, one melee, both Dex based) and the wizard, all venturing into a dark and terrible crypt. It's been a long time since I've had this much fun in D&D, even playing 5E, but something important occurred to me:

Bounded accuracy works.

Yup, indeed, the thing that is loved and derided as farce seemed to do a hell of a job for my DMing skills. I'll run through the whole adventure itself, but I just wanted to get that out of the way, as it's very crucial to the rest of the story.

For starters, I had them begin trying to find the Warlock's Crypt just outside of Baldur's Gate, after the Wizard in his cloud island (that he commandeered from a Cloud Giant party) caught a glimpse of a dracolich on the horizon. Gathering his friends (the other characters) they went into the Troll Hills in search of this. At this point, things got interesting, as the Wizard left for a little while to go back to Baldur's Gate to try to find some more information about this hidden crypt. In the meantime, the other three characters were hiding out at night in the forest, when one of the fighters, a drow, noticed some wraiths and wights moving to attack them. And wow, I never expected 5CR creatures to do so much to 16th level characters! I didn't even roll particularly well, but when they do 21 damage on a hit with a +6 to do so, they were actually doing some decent damage to the party. Throw in the wights to serve as meat shields, and by the end of the night, I had successfully brought one fighter to half health, and the ranger to 75%, using creatures that wouldn't have had any chance against the party in other editions.

Emboldened by this, I waited while they successfully found the entrance to the crypt, suddenly more than a bit afraid that they were taking so much damage, but went in anyway. Inside the crypt, they found a pressure plate trap in front of them that they avoided, but were then sandwiched by two wraiths and a mass of ghasts attacking from the front. With the ranger (and his undead killing sword) leading the way, they tried to push forward, when one of the Ghasts set off the trap, dropping the floor underneath them. With their high dexterity saves, they all managed to avoid it, but were now hanging on the edge 20ft from each other, with wraiths popping up to attack them from below while they were prone. From another direction, I had a ghost attempt to possess one of the characters, but to no avail, even with a terrible charisma save. At this point, I realized that those kinds of saves would be very valuable to a DM, as they do not scale with player level, a fantastic quirk that will come up later as well. They managed to fight their way out, but only after taking a hefty amount of damage from all sides.

Now wounded, they found an empty part of the complex and took a short rest, then continued, finding a pile of bodies, some fresh some old, a druid hiding among them, then to a large cavern where a necromancer was arguing with a nalfeshnee. All of the characters were very good at sneaking, as they were all dexterity based characters with proficiency (except for the wizard who had a permanent "fly" spell held over from AD&D) and they tried to get the drop on the nalfeshnee by turning invisible and attacking it with a good old fashioned Disintigrate spell. Unfortunately, they neglected to remember that Nalfeshnee have truesight, and so it teleported up and started wailing on the wizard, doing immense damage. He teleported the hell out of there, so the Nalfeshnee turned to the ranger and fighters, successfully frightening two of them with horror nimbus (wisdom isn't one of this party's strong suits) and leaving the ranger to fight it alone. The ranger managed to kill it, but not after taking a significant amount of damage.

They then continued on through the halls, getting attacked by another wraith and several ghasts and ghouls, but this time a drow wizard as well, firing from behind an illusory wall. He managed to get off a couple of good lightning bolts and nearly killed the party with cloud kill until the ranger cast wind wall, but at that moment the ghost came back and successfully possessed one of the fighers, who immediately stabbed his buddy in the back for a large amount of damage. It didn't take but another round before they fought the rest of the creatures off, but now they were wounded, with little healing left, and were beset on all sides by, *gasp* CR 10> creatures! They realized that they would only really be able to get a short rest out before they were attacked again, and so they did, and ventured on to the final part of the adventure, the dracolich and the drow wizard (again).

Now, in the encounter guidelines, for a party of 4 level 16 adventurers, the dracolich in the Monster Manual should be a medium encounter, a good amount of damage taken, but no where near a casualty. However, what I realized then, was that the encounter guidelines don't take into account the health of the party at the time. These PCs were pretty battered after just a few encounters, but the gamers of the group thought they would still be able to take the dracolich, and hey, the DM won't put something in here that we wont be able to beat, right? After entering a large chamber, the dracolich dropped down on them (having been turned invisible by the wizard) and nearly killed two of them, with the ranger only surviving due to his Blue Dragon armor. Frightening Presence served to shock the same two poor souls into submission as were frightened by the Nalfeshnee, and a couple of lucky rolls on my part later, the Dracolich had hammered them with two more breath weapons and a flyby attack. Luckily, one fighter rolled exceptionally well on his attacks against the wizard, even while frightened, and killed him in one round, while the other fighter got off two critical hits in one round (after saving against fear) to put the dracolich down. The final tallies for health were 70-ranger, 15-fighter, 22-fighter, and 100 wizard (abjuration kept him alive for a lot longer), with the wizard having expended most of his spells as well.

To summarize, here are a few nuggets of info I got from DMing this:
1. High level characters are still vulnerable. None of the party had a normal AC of above 20, and as such even low level creatures were able to hit them. Without a dedicated healer, they were only able to use their hit dice to regenerate, and while it let them survive against the dracolich, wasn't quite enough to fight anything scarier. Not to mention the way some saves will stay low throughout all of their levels. While I've seen various threads on this topic, I found giving PCs such obvious vulnerabilities even in the wake of their strengths gave a fantastic dichotomy. The ability to be possessed by a low level Ghost even at 16th level is a wonderful thing. This led to a feeling of fear among them that I haven't seen since the AD&D days, which was very heartening as a DM who relishes instilling such fear into PC's souls!
2. High level characters are still powerful. Even with all of these creatures attacking them, even with bad luck rolls for the PCs and good luck ones for the monsters, they still managed to fight and kill a dracolich. Afterwards, they seemed to relish the challenge, and found that being able to defeat such a powerful creature even while wounded and battered, led to an epic feel that was accentuated by them being hurt and vulnerable, instead of being all powerful.
3. Low CR creatures can still pack a punch. To be frank, while I love 5E and think it's the best edition of D&D by quite a bit, the Challenge Rating system is still wonky. The good thing about it now, is that the CR being meaningless really doesn't effect anything. I simply throw what monsters I want to at the party, and gauge how much I should continue to throw at them. It really feels nice being able to reuse monsters from the depths of the Monster Manual, rather than having to use the same demons and devils over and over again just to give the PCs a challenge. I could have feasibly brought down the whole party with just a few more wraiths, something that hasn't been able to happen in years!

All in all, I was very pleased with the state of this adventure, and optimistic about the future. My main campaign is just ramping up to 12th level, and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to challenge the PCs anymore. This short adventure put those fears to rest, and now I can't wait to continue.

mcintma

First Post
Excellent report, thanks for sharing!

I wonder how many 16th level parties will have no-one over AC 20, based on some threads AC's in the mid-20s are pretty achievable by this level? I guess that question can't really be answered without making magic item assumptions ...

DaveDash

Explorer
[MENTION=6778313]SilverfireSage[/MENTION]

First off, I want to clearly state, that I agree with all of your assumptions (1 2 and 3).

However when it comes to this:

All in all, I was very pleased with the state of this adventure, and optimistic about the future. My main campaign is just ramping up to 12th level, and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to challenge the PCs anymore. This short adventure put those fears to rest, and now I can't wait to continue.

I want to caution you on a couple of things about this.

The party you ran was not very well optimised. I've used a lot of the same monsters you have used against a well optimised spell caster heavy party (Paladin, Wizard, Lore Bard, Cleric) and they have completely cake walked the same monsters at level 12. Spells like banishment take care of fiends pretty easily, and hold person or silence completely shuts down Drow Wizards.
I've had the Dracolich from the MM been taken down in 2 rounds without barely scratching PCs (level 17).

Also there is a huge jump in power between 16th level and 17th level. The Wizard unlocks 9th level spells (Foresight on an archer with sharpshooter is a very scary thing), and a lot of other classes unlock powerful abilities at level 17th.
So when considering your current main campaign, you need to take these points into consideration. You may find you have a very different experience based on party composition and player experience.

But again, I stress, I agree with your main conclusions based on my own high level games I've ran. High level combat is the best it ever has been in any edition.

DaveDash

Explorer

I wonder how many 16th level parties will have no-one over AC 20, based on some threads AC's in the mid-20s are pretty achievable by this level? I guess that question can't really be answered without making magic item assumptions ...

You can get ACs pretty high with spells (haste, shield, etc) but you can't have those ACs all day.

True enough on your points, but there's a couple of things I want to address:

The party you ran was not very well optimised.

I want to burn this notion into the ground. My players don't play to optimize, they play to play what they want. I let them pick anything, and if that happens to be five rogues, then they deal with that. I don't think monsters should be beholden to a perfectly optimized party.

Sorry if I sound a bit incensed about that, but using that argument in a thread is kind of a pet peeve of mine.

I've had the Dracolich from the MM been taken down in 2 rounds without barely scratching PCs (level 17).

Also consider that all the PCs had been hurt and nearly used up all their spells. They could probably have taken it easily had they been rested up.

Also there is a huge jump in power between 16th level and 17th level. The Wizard unlocks 9th level spells (Foresight on an archer with sharpshooter is a very scary thing), and a lot of other classes unlock powerful abilities at level 17th.
So when considering your current main campaign, you need to take these points into consideration. You may find you have a very different experience based on party composition and player experience.

But again, I stress, I agree with your main conclusions based on my own high level games I've ran. High level combat is the best it ever has been in any edition.

yup, I'm not looking forward to 9th level spells...

Tormyr

Hero

I don't know about level 16 parties, but I am running a conversion of Age of Worms, and I have kept almost all of the magic items. At 8th level, everyone has a +1 weapon and armor. The monk has bracers of armor (+2), and there are a couple of rings of protection for spell casters. The war cleric and paladin have an AC of 21. The monk currently has an AC of 19 and could get to 22 eventually. The wizard is at 17 with a ring of protection and mage armor and can get to 22 with shield.

Despite all that, combat is exciting and dangerous. The party is routinely stretched to the point they are running on fumes. They are deep in enemy territory right now, out of spells, and only the BBEG of chapter 4 is between them and victory. They cannot safely rest (leomund's tiny hut would be dispelled, and they are cut off from running). The war cleric has a 4th level spirit guardians going that could be brought into the next area, but aside from that there are pretty much only wands and cantrips left (thank goodness for cantrips). In the last few sessions, they have sucker punched a spirit naga, been swarmed by CR 4 octopins, had an octopin do 28 damage in a single round to the dragon born sorcerer, had its buddies do another 20 in the same round so he was unconscious, had the TWF blender of destruction fighter dominated by a trap and turned on the party, and defeated a security statue that transmuted into 3 vrocks. They are surviving and overcoming the challenges, but it is taking intelligent and creative play even though they are punching above their weight because of all the magic items.

DaveDash

Explorer
I want to burn this notion into the ground. My players don't play to optimize, they play to play what they want. I let them pick anything, and if that happens to be five rogues, then they deal with that. I don't think monsters should be beholden to a perfectly optimized party.

Sorry if I sound a bit incensed about that, but using that argument in a thread is kind of a pet peeve of mine.

Forget the word optimized then and replace it with "Party Composition". What I am saying is that the ability to challenge your group will vary greatly depending on party composition. I don't know what your 12th level group is like, but if they have a more "traditional" party composition (ie, with a Cleric) they would probably not have struggled as much.
Also your level 12 group will probably have a lot more experience by the time they reach level 16/17, and you will find it different than just taking some fresh players and dropping them into a high level game, especially once they start to figure out the value of some potent higher level spells.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Awesome report. I'm so glad that high level turned out so great for you. I have always loved the vulnerable feel of lower levels of D&D across editions from 1e through 4e. Now it seems that bounded accuracy is helping to capture that feeling even at higher levels. Cool!

Well, that was an enjoyable read.

As an old school DM who defected from Parhfinder to run B/X again, I am totally stoked with what I have read thus far about 5e. I have 2 groups, and will be running 5e conversions of I3 with one and T1-4 with the other.

It sounds like you guys had a blast and the players were thoroughly engaged, which is Rule 1: Have Fun!

Forget the word optimized then and replace it with "Party Composition". What I am saying is that the ability to challenge your group will vary greatly depending on party composition. I don't know what your 12th level group is like, but if they have a more "traditional" party composition (ie, with a Cleric) they would probably not have struggled as much.
Also your level 12 group will probably have a lot more experience by the time they reach level 16/17, and you will find it different than just taking some fresh players and dropping them into a high level game, especially once they start to figure out the value of some potent higher level spells.

Oh, no doubt it was a terrible party composition, but had they had a cleric to help them out with healing, it wouldn't have been much trouble to add a couple more traps and hit them with a few more wights as well! And these were people that have been playing since the 70's, so they had no lack of experience. My other group is an entirely different beast however, as it's a group of 6 people with a ranger, a fighter, a barbarian, a paladin, a druid, and a sorcerer. I'll post another thing like this when that campaign is done with a full retrospective since this got such positive feedback!

Remove ads