• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

History Generator

kolvar

First Post
Rebellion Ends is a bug. I try to handle this one somehow (I know the reason but I hope to find an elegant solution. So far it evades me).

Thanks again.

Old One

First Post
You may have started a monster...

Tsyr said:
Some events need prequesites...

For example, I got "Rebellion Ends", but there was no rebellion in progress.

Like Tsyr said...

Kolvar, you may have created a monster here ;)...but a good one!

A couple of thoughts...

(1) The old 2E Oriental Adventures hardback had a listing of events by kingdom, province and town (or maybe it was yearly, monthly and weekly events). Maybe someone could dig that up and post it.

(2) Just to give you more work :p. This generator is done on a kingdom level over a span of years. How about a "local" generator (for a city, town or province) that works on an annual basis. It would be great for time-pressed DMs that need rumors or adventure ideas and would help add flavor.

(3) Having a prerquisite or even timeline would be neat (I don't know if it is doable, since I am a computer programming idiot). For example, you could have "Cathedral started" --> "Cathedral completed" --> "Cathedral destroyed" so events would flow logically.

(4) A couple of more ideas for events:

National Annual Events

* Cathedral/monument/palace/new capital city...started/completed/destroyed
* Royal/Imperial wedding/birth
* National celebration
* Strange alignment in the stars
* Comet sighted
* National games/olympics
* Tradewar

City/Provincial Events

* Bandit/monster activity
* Traderoute closed by landslide/forest fire/monster activity
* Child(ren)/merchant/farmer/noble missing
* Dungeon/tower/ruin/cave discovered in the forest/hills/mountains/badlands
* Major/minor criminal trial
* Circus/play/troupe in area
* Criminal/prophet/noble sighted in area
* Shipwreck
* Major storm/fire/tornado/hurricane
* Reward offered for criminal/rescue/retrieval of item/spell component/book/information

Just a couple of thoughts...

~ Old One

kolvar

First Post
thanks for the events. I will check the OA (Why did I not think of that myself?).
the scope can "easyly" be altered. You just have to take a different eventfile. The event-file is a text-file (included in the sources (see above)). It is just a lot of boring work. The yearly scope is either interpretation (take 30 years for each month) or I add a little feature. But I think tableSmith got something along this line.

alaric187

First Post
Good Stuff. It seems pretty cool so far. You might want to throw in a variable for detail. That way it gives a # of events based on duration. So, if you just want a quick couple of events for 20 yrs on a far away nation, it's good. If you want a detailed summary of 100 yrs to play with, it's good too.

Plus, it tends to war with and destroy the same kingdoms. Which can be interesting, but overall ruins the effect of destroying the Kingdom the first time. :)

Alaric

MarauderX

Explorer
Very cool. The only thing I could ask for is more detail to some of the random events. For instance, take 'Minor Work Of Art' and expound on it (with a link to another random generator page perhaps?). I guess I am lazy and want someone to add the fluffy flavor for me as my brain would seize up halfway down the list.

kolvar

First Post
With detail, do you mean, that the number of events, that should possibly happen per year should increas- or decreaseable?
I hope to get the kingdom-destroying stuff fixed when I get the names into the machine.

kolvar

First Post
@MarauderX: Maybe I will do an additional Generator for Art afterwards, who knows. The Link Idea is good. I have to think about it.

alaric187

First Post
kolvar said:
With detail, do you mean, that the number of events, that should possibly happen per year should increas- or decreaseable?
I hope to get the kingdom-destroying stuff fixed when I get the names into the machine.

Exactly what I mean. So, you can set it to give you an event every +-5 yrs or +- 20 years. Hmm, now that I think about it, it might be easier (well, for us, not for you coding :) ) to assign the event a number along a major scale. Then you could specify what scale you wanted for the history.

So, if it's a 1-10 scale, 1 would give you only rebellions and wars and the like, while 9 would give you all of that plus minor works of art and the invention of the kleenex. So, it would be like skimming your history in a high school yearbook vs. an indepth volume on 100 yrs of a nation.

Names would be awesome. This is definately cool software.

Alaric

green slime

First Post
Important events that I didn't notice were:

Marriages. These are used for political purposes, to Strengthen a claim to a throne, both at home and abroad. It also can lead to a merging of dynasties.

Successful revolution/civil war.
Complete abandonment of Religion/Philosophy/Technology.

Volcanoes
Hurricanes
Landslides
Tidal Waves
Lunar and Solar Eclipses, meteors, comets and other stellar phenomena
Appearance of Strange animals/Lake/Mountain/City/Castle
Disappearance of City/Castle/Forest/Lake/Mountain/Birds/Fish/Children

kolvar

First Post
@alaric187: your first idea is easier to implement. The second idea got an additonal disadvantage: You would get a start page with all the events having a possibility to modify them, rather unpleasent. But I will look what I can do.

@thanks green slime. The Complete abandonment of Religion I would put under A Religion dies, the others I have to see when I get around putting them in.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads