Hit Points, Mortal Points, Limit Breaks

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Hit Dice increase with size, but Constitution really doesn't. It grows with a monster's power, but doesn't directly relate to size. Strength does increase the way I wanted MP to rise with size, and since the stat was already overrated, it's not an issue I'm going to go on about anymore.

[Edit to original post: added Maximum Strike limit, and monster Limit Breaks]

Cabral

First Post
Well, if you think Strength is overrated, it's still an inappropriate fix. It should be possible to make something Strong but frail of weak but tough. The easiest way would be to base MPs off of Con. (Since Con represents health already, it is not as vulerable to the same contradictions as Str.)

The most flexible option would be to make MP independant of both stats and grant Toughness bonus feats as needed to appropriate creatures.

Jack Daniel

I really don't see a need to argue here... Star Wars bases wound points on CON, but it doesn't work for D&D very well. Trust me, I've playtested the systems long enough to know.

Cabral

First Post
That last post was more for other viewers of the thread. If your mind is made up, it's made up. I've been meaning to make up a system of my own like this for a while and I'll probably swipe yours now and modify it(beside the Con/Str issue, I'll probably drop limit breaks and change the mp healed by spells to half the hp healed, rounded down, to cut down on rolling.). Thanks alot. I may not agree with you but it has given good ideas. I particularly liked the way you handled criticals. One of the things that discouraged me from finishing my versions was the task of coverting the threat/crit ranges.

Regarding Critical hits: What about x5 crits? A weapon master with Increased Multiplier can increase the critical multiplier by 1 a certain number of times per day.

I was considering using the normal multipliers -1 for critical hits. A longsword would have a critical of 19-20/x1 while a Scythe would have a critical of x3 this would make the weapons extremely deadly, however.

Either way, you may want to look at Improved Critical, the Keen weapon enchantment, the Keen blade, and anything else that modifies the threat range of a weapon; they may need to be adjusted for power. An 8th level fighter with a keen falchion and Improved Critical (falchion) scores a threat on an 12 to 20 ... With the Mortality system, the feat, enchantment duo should be more popular since it's more effective that in the Core Rules ... I would reccomend knocking Keen up to the equivelant of a +2 enchantment and knock keen blade up a level.

Jack Daniel

I agree... or you could just say that both keen & ImpCrit raise the threat range by 1 point, no more. As for the x5 crit, what's two steps up from 1d10... 2d8, I think? That would be it.

Jack Daniel

An old Irish bumping blessing:

"Like the emerald moss that grows on the Blarney
Or the shamrock that grows on a stump,
I wish that God's grace
Makes within you a place
That goes with you wherever you bump!"

Remove ads