HM's swashbuckling adventure (game postponed)

Walking Dad

First Post
J...

Add the Defensive Bonus rule from Off to War to this game. It is simply a + 1/2 your BAB to AC dodge/parry bonus.

So a high lvl fighter would get a pretty good bonus to his AC and not have to worry about wearing full plate.

And since ther is not alot of shield carrying going on in swashbuckling any class that has shield prof will lose that in favor of the Dodge feat.

Notliking this much. The second one want to eliminate the buckler from swashbuckling.

For the first one I like this more: Defense Bonus maybe combined with Armor As Damage Reduction.

Vertexx69

First Post
Looks like the group could use some blasting power. I'm thinking of a cannoneer type mage that style spells as demolision based explosive effects. Barrels of gunpowder launched to create fireballs and that kind of thing. A blunderbus chock full oh magic missles, (no chance to dodge that). A suit covered fire bug of a nerd with a nervous tick! Maybe an artificer or probably a strait wizard. Do we get the standard 9k for 5th lvl wealth/gear?

Fenris

Adventurer
Notliking this much. The second one want to eliminate the buckler from swashbuckling.

For the first one I like this more: Defense Bonus maybe combined with Armor As Damage Reduction.

I agree here with WD. I think the Defensive Bonus is too large with no restrictions. I would MUCH prefer to use existing optional rules. And the Defense bonus and nice synergy with Armor as DR. It makes a nice choice for a character. Do I wear the armor to protect me if I get hit, or do i not wear the armor and try to not get hit at all.

Voda Vosa

First Post
I agree here with WD. I think the Defensive Bonus is too large with no restrictions. I would MUCH prefer to use existing optional rules. And the Defense bonus and nice synergy with Armor as DR. It makes a nice choice for a character. Do I wear the armor to protect me if I get hit, or do i not wear the armor and try to not get hit at all.

I also agree here.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Glad we are agreeing on some things (remeber this is our game and the rules for it are up to all of you as much as me). If no one has anything else to say on the subject of DB and armor as DR we will roll with it.

Also on a few other things:

a) You all will be part of the same crew but will not go on "assignments" together but in groups of 4-5 maybe 3 with a couple of NPC's. The ship (which I am calling The Sea Pixie at this time) is a 15th centuray caravel which should have a crew of about 20 (8 of you and *sigh* 12 NPCs :confused:) Fast and shallow (to go upriver as needed) will be plying her trade in a semi-real world.

b) Since I will set magic on the real low side there is no need for standard starting gold. So how about a third of the norm and everyone has 3,000gp to start will give you a reason to sign on as a crew. Any misc magic items you wish to have please run by me. I won't begrudge anyone who wants to own his lucky cloak (cloak of resistance +1) or you could make it your lucky hat LOL. But will not be as needed as it would be in a standard game (i.e. no need for a really high Will save in a world with low magic use).

c) Sources: Looks like 3.5 will be the base (but you can ask for PF feats or others that fit if you like) So let's use Core, Completes, Unearthed Arcana, and Stormwracked to start.

d) But before all the crunch and stuff let's get some concepts down I saw Vertexx69 with a concept and a few others. Postions needing filled on The Sea Pixie are:

Ship Master(navigator)- GandalfMithrandir has first dips
Master Gunner- looks like what Vertexx69 wants to play
Gunner's mate (powder monkey)- open
Surgeon- open
Carpenter's mate- open

rest of you can be able seamen which is the guys who do whatever is needed when it is needed.

What else oh psionics well magic is almost totally out but Vertexx69 does have the right of it if you could bring a real-world feel to most of your spells (like an auto-hit blunderbuss aka magic missile) then we can work with it. But really I don't see the need for alot of magic if your eneimes will not be having much.

Ok I think we should get these character gene rules ironed out. And then we can see about an RG to put the crew in.

HM

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I was thinking of a Second Mate, officer in charge of the gun battery on the main deck or in charge of the marines (or whatever the equivalent would be on this ship - privateer?)

Of course that was when I thought we were having a bigger ship, so if it still applies that's what I want. Probably make a Swashbuckler/Fighter multi-class build.

Voda Vosa

First Post
So d20 doesn't settles in? It was worth a try I guess.

My character will be that sturdy pirate guy, full of scars, bad temper, good brawler. He'll make any sort of task, but in combat will be the guy behind everyone else hides.

How much levels are we having?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Sorry Voda Vosa I don't d20 much LOL.

Lets see crunch wise it would be

Starting LVL = 5th
Starting Gold = 3,000gp
Sources = 3.5 Core, Completes, Unearthed Arcana, and Stormwracked
Abilities = rolling (though noone has givin an opinion on this)
Race = Human only (with additions noted in above post)
Class = any but magic based classes will need twiking
Skills = will have swap out rule and extra points because of heavy skill use of game. Still not totally decided.
Feats = normal, though outside feats will be allowed on a case by case basis
Equipment = magical items to need approval
Additional rules = so far Defensive Bonus and Armor giving DR bonus from d20srd any others?

Anything else or wanted changes to the above?

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I was thinking of a Second Mate, officer in charge of the gun battery on the main deck or in charge of the marines (or whatever the equivalent would be on this ship - privateer?)

Of course that was when I thought we were having a bigger ship, so if it still applies that's what I want. Probably make a Swashbuckler/Fighter multi-class build.

maybe not second mate to start that is usually the Bosun's spot but you might get promoted up.

I was thinking of starting the IC in a tavern and everyone in line to sign up to be new crew members what does everyone think of this?

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Also a few ideals on a light magic world.

Since there will not be alot if magic to agument the PC's abilities I was thinking of taking a page out of 4e and having players gain a +1 to two different stats at 4th lvl. Also will make the rolling for abilities not so bad.

What do you think of this?

HM

Remove ads