Hoard of the Dragon Queen - Prologue

mips42

Adventurer
Erevan

Finishing up with the Gnolls, Erevan walks over to the one that is awake. 'We did not attack you until you charged us and we know nothing of the Scaled ones you refer to. I must tell you, though, that the townspeople sent us to do so after finding mutilated animals near here.
'I cannot speak for the others, but I am quite interested in what you have to say about the others who attacked you.'

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
The gnoll scowls, "You not attack...? Humans, pointy ears, scaled ones - some small with knife, some big with teeth, claws... attack in night, kill gnolls. Take things. Gold, treasures. We escape to woods, see many torches, many lights... more enemies coming."

It's clear the creature has only a basic knowledge of the common tongue and is struggling to give more detailed information. The beast begins to cough up blood as he continues to speak.

"We not even have chance... to eat music-man. We find him in woods... maybe hunt for more human in town as well! More fun than hunt deer! Heeeheheheeehehe!" The gnoll's sudden, hyena-like laughter pierces the air. The other two gnolls join in with a cacophony of shrieks and howls, and all three become increasingly agitated.

Suddenly, the gnoll speaking to Erevan lunges forward awkwardly with it's jaws wide open - reacting swiftly, Renestrae fires at point blank range, and the gnoll falls dead with an arrow through is throat before he could attack. The other two gnolls continue to howl and laugh, and start to struggle against their bonds.

mips42

Adventurer
'Thanks Ren, I would have liked to try to learn more but he left you little choice.
'As far as the attackers go; humans is pretty clear, pointy ears would likely be elves, and scaled ones could be kobolds but I have no idea what what gnolls would consider "big with teeth and claws."
'Also, this one mentioned a music man which, I presume would mean a bard. I don't think I've seen a bard or his body. Perhaps he escaped in the fight? Every answer seems to lead to more questions. I would definitely say there is more at work here than a simple band of gnolls but, at this point, I've no idea what it might be or where else to look.
'We should take what we know back to town and tell the magistrate or mayor. They need to know.'

Brother Dave

First Post
Rolen is shaken by the sudden attack by the gnoll, and it's equally sudden execution. Things are certainly...messier...out here in the world. Will I ever get used to it? He steels himself, then takes up his bow and draws a bead on one of the remaining gnolls. "Don't...don't move." He looks uncertainly at Erevan, following his lead, then back at the gnoll...

industrygothica

Adventurer
"I made a promise," Renestrae says. She pulls a dagger from her belt and kneels by the dead gnoll's head. She glares menacingly at those left alive before before turning her attention to the task of cutting out the dead gnoll's biggest, nastiest fang.

Brother Dave

First Post
Rolen turns to watch Renestrae remove the fang and gags a bit, the distraction causing him to relax his pull and lower his aim. He looks away quickly when the shock of the brutal act sets in, then curses under his breath and turns back again, forcing himself to watch. I must get used to sights like this if I am to survive out here long enough to find the source of my...visions. I must harden myself. He narrows his eyes and stares for as long as he can, then turns away once again. Realizing he had allowed the bowstring to go almost slack, he raises it and once again trains it on the thrashing gnolls. He turns his head slightly to allow himself to see Renestrae out of the corner of his eye while still watching the live gnolls. "Are..are you finished? What promise...what...why would you...?" He stumbles over his words, not sure what he's really trying to ask.

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Robert observes the gnolls closely, hoping to notice something would cause the sudden burst of would-be insanity.

However, he has a lot of trouble seeing through their chaotic movements.

Fear, anger, hunger, delirium from their severe wounds... maybe just plain bloodlust?

The two remaining Gnolls continue to struggle for a moment, and the more severely injured of them begins to pant heavily before his eyes roll backwards and he collapses, his injuries no doubt finally catching up with him. The one gnoll left alive raises his head and lets out a horrendous wolf-like howl.

It seems that unless the beast is silenced, the howling may continue, and the sound will no doubt carry for a fair distance...

Erevan - the mention of a 'music man' jogs your memory of the body you saw in the cage near the foot of the mound.

epicbob

Explorer
Robert Weaving

Letting out an annoyed sigh, Robert hefts his quarterstaff with both hands and swings it into the gnoll's head.

"Obviously, we won't find any more answers here."

mips42

Adventurer
'Agreed. I think we've learned all we can from these creatures. It might be a good idea to search the fallen though, in case there are any clues there. Once that's done, I am in favor of carting the body of the man back to town for proper burial. He should be allowed to be at rest.'

Remove ads