Hoard of the Dragon Queen - Prologue

Brother Dave

First Post
Dragon scales! I wonder if this has anything to do with my night terrors?
"Those clothes...so they finally appear!"
Rolen looks at Robert strangely. "Wait...you were...expecting someone with blue dragon scales?" He turns to him, intending to question him further when he sees the gnolls stagger out onto the trail. He stares for a moment, shocked, then grabs his bow. "Look out!"

[sblock=Initiative roll]Initiative (1d20+2=12)[/sblock]

mips42

Adventurer
Erevan looks at the body in the cage when he hears '"You... in night... you kill Hagnark's tribe! Now... Hagnark kill you!"' 'Stars and stones!' he looks up to see the three gnolls.

1d20+3=22

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
INITIATIVE ORDER

• Erevan - full HP, inspiration
  • Three gnolls - injured
  • Miri - full HP, inspiration
  • Renestrae - full HP
  • Rolen - full HP
  • Robert - full HP, mage armour, inspiration
  • Kerri - full HP

I rolled initiative for Kerri as dream66 has previous said they don't mind me rolling for them and I notice that they haven't posted in a little while... but Kerri has (luckily) come last in the initiative order so we can get the encounter underway.

mips42

Adventurer
Erevan, Elven fighter

Erevan, seeing the Gnolls, will move so that he is about thirty feet away, with a clear path to at least one of them, then fire of an arrow at the gnoll that seems the most badly wounded. Once the arrow is away, he attempts to put as much foliage as possible between himself and the gnoll.

ooc: 1d20+5=22 to hit, 1d8+3=5 damage if it hits.

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
From Erevan's position on the top of the hill he has an easy shot. He notices that one of the gnolls is hanging back from the other two, wheezing badly and holding his side with a bloodied arm. His arrow flies true, striking the gnoll in the chest - and the beast shrieks and staggers back, almost dropping to one knee. It won't take much to finish this one.

His shot made, Erevan moves swiftly down the side of the mound and takes cover within the trees and bushes - just in time, as a javelin thrown by the wounded gnoll buries itself in the tree trunk he has sought shelter behind.

The other two gnolls meanwhile charge up the hill in a wild rage. Caught off-guard by the one with the bloodied eye, Miri tries to duck out of the way but is caught by a vicious slash from the gnoll's handaxe across her shoulder.

[Miri takes 5 damage]

The final gnoll of the three runs awkwardly towards Robert, axe raised for an overhead swing. At the last moment, his injured leg gives way and he stumbles forward, his momentum lost, and Robert easily sidesteps the attack.

[Miri is up next]

Li Shenron

Legend
Miri screams in agony as the handaxe cuts through her flesh, then instinctively reacts by casting a Sleep spell on the gnoll. She probably doesn't have time for carefully planning the spell point of origin, but if another gnoll is within range (the spell affects creatures within 20ft) then she'll try to catch the other one as well.

Sleep roll for total number of HP worth of creatures affected:

5d8 → [8,7,3,5,3] = (26)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4680771/

After casting the spell, if and only if the gnoll is affected and falls asleep, Miri will take her move action to get away from melee, behind some cover if there is any, or behind an ally. If the gnoll is unaffected, she won't risk provoking an OA by moving.

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
The gnoll facing Miri snarls at her as she weaves her spell, before his eyes roll back in his head and he slumps to the ground, asleep.

Out of the corner of her eye Miri also spots the gnoll that Erevan had previously wounded go down as well - leaving just the one remaining gnoll, who sways briefly before shaking his head, resisting the spell's effects.

Her magic spent, Miri retreats from the remaining gnoll and takes cover behind some nearby barrels, staying close to Rolen and Renestrae.

[Renestrae is next]

industrygothica

Adventurer
Renestrae draws her bow and aims, realizing again that she's never been in a real fight. With a hand perhaps sturdier than one would think, she lets the arrow fly.

OOC: 17 to hit for 5 damage, +5 more for the sneak attack, if applicable.
1d20+5=17, 1d6+3=5
Also, if I read it correctly, this is the same gnoll whose attack Robert sidestepped. If Robert is still adjacent to the gnoll, Renestrae would get a sneak attack roll. Here it is just in case:
1d6=5

Remove ads