Holy sheepdip - wotc to republish old editions

Keldryn

Adventurer
I agree that this most likely means putting the PDF scans back up for sale.

However, I think that we could very well see either a limited print run or print-on-demand releases of a few specific books, such as the 1st Edition AD&D PH, DMG, and MM. The supporting materials aren't likely to be put back into print, as they do need to stay committed to supporting their current version of the game. The 1990s D&D Rules Cyclopedia would be a good choice as well, but the name might be too similar to the D&D Rules Compendium; the AD&D brand on a few collector's edition books probably would be distinct enough to avoid any "brand confusion" issues.

Here's hoping, anyway. I would love a set of brand-new AD&D hardcovers that don't cost a lot of money.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
If they go that way, I will purchase every single 1e and 2e Forgotten Realms, Planescape, and Ravenloft book they publish, plus a whole slew of generic books.
Quoted for posterity.

I could use some new 1E and 2E books. I have tons, but not all.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Lots of people just reading the first post, instead of the whole thread ...

EDIT: A clearer summary.
The initial post at rpg.net:

Tokezo Tenken said:
$10 for a year's subscription to the 3.x Eberron catalogue. That reveal was by James Wyatt (I think) and was not supposed to have happened.

I was there this morning. Here's a summary to supplement what was above.

Dungeon of Dread - Cancelled

Lords of Waterdeep boardgame in March. Euro-style board game making extensive use of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep.

Madness at Gardmore Abbey - $39.95 box set with maps, monster tokens, more open-ended than linear in style with various patrons/enemies. Cards from the included Deck of Many Things are scattered around the abbey and grounds and are the objects the PCs are tasked with finding. The cards influence the encounters based on which cards are where.

Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium - Uses the rarity system. Character options for weapons specifically mentioning flails I believe. Also includes mundane items, followers etc. Mearls said rituals aren't in the book (My question!) Regarding rituals, he want's them to be useful at all tiers and mentioned scaling effects that you can pay for and such when they're reintroduced.

Box set of limited edition chromatic dragons like the Beholder set.

Heroes of the Feywild - Ties into the Encounters season based on Beyond the Crystal Cave. Pixies which can fly from Level 1. Will mostly be Arcane power source with Primal mixed in. As mentioned the Barbarian is a Defender who becomes a Striker when enraged. The other two races are the dryad and satyr. New Bard and new Druid builds.

Two new Dungeon Tiles sets - A haunted house and a "Gygaxian" crazy dungeon

Map packs like Dungeon Tiles - 3 maps for $12

Book of Vile Darkness - How to run evil campaigns. Includes a 32-page (I think) Book of Vile Darkness

Power of the Plane Below - Elemental power source. An Essentials Sorceror. E-Sorceror will focus on one element instead of all four. Also an elemental Monk. Oh, and a Shi'ar build. Al Qadim was mentioned and generated some enthusiasm if they explore it through DDI.

Undermountain - I zoned out a bit. Sorry. It's a map of the tavern and the first level of the dungeon. I think it's a dungeon generator product.

They do have a new campaign setting they aren't ready to announce. Supposed to introduce a twist on traditional play. Not useful, but I understand not announcing until you're ready.

If possible, monster tokens will be included with new products. Response to tokens seems good.

New Runepriest build coming... somewhere. DDI I think?

They want to take their time and use care with less popular classes and races to address issues as to why they think they aren't as popular. Vampire from Heroes of Shadow is hugely popular immediately shooting into the top eight created classes on the Character Builder. They don't want to "Essentialize" classes that aren't as supported as they want to give support in a broader sense.

Products tied to Encounter seasons will less likely be box sets as that hurts portability. Items not tied to Encounters will more likely be boxes.

They want to introduce and explore settings in DDI and if they prove popular move them into print.

Exploring how to release their library digitally.

Looking into mass battles systems.

Want to better organize website.

New line of miniatures that are based around themes. Around 60 miniatures in a pack and will have a diceless, tactical skirmish game. It uses Dungeon Tiles. There will be an open playtest.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
So it's a subscription to access an array of campaign material/sourcebooks? Interesting.
It certainly is more attractive to folks who game with a laptop or tablet at the table (assuming it'll actually be accessible on all devices, which DDI currently isn't).

Noble Knight and other resellers are probably happy that this isn't an all-encompassing solution at this time.

Alan Shutko

Explorer
I'd be interested in the D&D Gazetteers as some of them are insanely expensive on the secondary market.

However, one of the issues in the scanned pdfs from before was that the quality tended to vary from product to product.

This is actually the reason I'm getting the Ion Book Saver when it comes out. I have all the GAZ products, and doubles of a couple, but I want decent electronic backups.

Remove ads