• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Holy sheepdip - wotc to republish old editions

JoeGKushner

First Post
plans != reality

I'll save my clapping with one hand trick until I see some actual results. Hell, I'm waiting to see them publish current material as PDF.

I suspect it's going to be some crap where you pay X amount to have access to an online vault and depending on what you pay will determine what you get access too.

Agamon

Adventurer
Given how badly the Kindle format currently handles images, I wouldn't expect it to do well with WotC's image-heavy game books. (Now, Mongoose Traveller, on the other hand ...)

E-books tend not to have any images, though. E-books and audiobooks with images are sometimes sold with an accompanying pdf.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Given how badly the Kindle format currently handles images, I wouldn't expect it to do well with WotC's image-heavy game books. (Now, Mongoose Traveller, on the other hand ...)

Art in game books tends to be an enhancement, rather than something essential, so proper editorial care should resolve this issue. The bigger concern is charts -- given that my Nook (and others, I presume) allows you to adjust font sizes, charts in traditional PDFs go all kinds of wonky, and charts are essential to many RPGs (especially D&D).

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Maybe they have news that the Vampire: the Masquerade 20th Anniversary edition sold well, and intend something similar?
That's a good point. Like I said, I'm more than willing to be wrong.

If you've looked at the 1E PHB or DMG, the charts and layout are highly customized. It will be a trick to make them electronic compatible.

I wonder if they'll add in the errata?

Stormonu

Legend
It would be nice if the PDFs come back, it would benefit me more if they were cleaned up (the actual text behind C1 - Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, for example, had horrible OCR recognition).

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
It would be nice if the PDFs come back, it would benefit me more if they were cleaned up (the actual text behind C1 - Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, for example, had horrible OCR recognition).

Jim and company from BASTION PRESS did OK with what they had; I think a lot of their "volunteer" books were in poor shape to begin with*, but towards the end, yeah, there were plenty of scanning problems.

"Oh, hey, I didn't realize that CONAN UNCHAINED had unicode and cyrillic control characters in it...!"

*=for those who may not remember...and my god, it's staggering because it was ten years ago...BASTION PRESS was the go-to company for scanning the old stuff. Most things were easy to find - DUNGEON MASTERS GUIDE, etc. but the rarer things they asked people to donate copies of. The books had to be completely disassembled and, IIRC, cut apart to put in the scanner they used, so if you donated a book, it was gone...it's one thing to dig up a used copy of B2 KEEP ON THE BORDERLANDS to donate but it's something other if they're after, say, a set of original D&D books. Although, eventually, they did get everything...

Remove ads