D&D 5E Homebrew Cleric Domain: LGBT Domain (Positive & Respectful)

is Peace Domain too hippie?
I believe it exists somewhere in 3E. Book of Exalted Deeds, perhaps.

And running with that, as a worldbuilding point, I'm more likely to look for the elemental emotional concept underlying the intent here than to tie the domain to a community and culture that are very much specific our own world, time, and society. In different worlds with different histories, who knows how people whom we would think of as LGBT think of themselves? Whether they identify with each other or regard what they feel as being markedly different from the rest of the population? A god, I think, is going to be dealing in "Love" rather than "three particular types of love, plus a form of gender identity", or "Peace" rather than "four particular groups of people historically in need of peace". That's usually how they roll.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Is 'Peace Domain' too hippie?
Probably. There have been extensive discussions of the upsides/downsides of Pacifist Clerics and the flavor-variations thereof.
I wish I had thought to save the Pacifist Cleric thread from the old WotC site. It helped inform the (much too short) 4e Divine Power sidebar on the subject.

There can be a domain relating to heterosexuality, especially relating marriage blessing, and sometimes extending to associated concepts, such as fertility worship (fecundity, harvest, livestock), wifely duties and the central hearth fireplace for heating and cooking, or so on.

A domain relating to homosexuality, would include blessings for a more egalitarian kind of marriage where spousal partners are equal in rights and responsibilities. It might extend to concepts such as altruism, where an LGBT family is likely to care for children from other families, sometimes from their own extend family, or even orphan children or so on.
Not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic here. Overall I think you are being pig headed, offensive, and rather ignorant to boot.

Sent from my SM-T820 using EN World mobile app

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Probably. There have been extensive discussions of the upsides/downsides of Pacifist Clerics and the flavor-variations thereof.
I wish I had thought to save the Pacifist Cleric thread from the old WotC site. It helped inform the (much too short) 4e Divine Power sidebar on the subject.

Perhaps it's paradoxical, but I think one could be dedicated to peace, without being a pacifist. Maybe I'm just a warmonger.

Love Domain probably makes more sense though.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Maybe I'm just a warmonger.
There's more than one way to be a pacifist. Vietnam protesters / hippees are only one.

In 1917, Sgt. Alvan York concluded that the best way to stop the blood-soaked stalemate that was the Western Front, was for America to join one side with overwhelming force, thereby breaking the stalemate. He became famous by forcing 30 German soldiers to surrender to him alone, so he might have been on to something.

The pacifist I have the most respect for is the man who inspired the recent movie Heartbreak Ridge (I may have the title wrong, and have forgotten his name entirely). Instead of killing his fellow man, he fought the Grim Reaper personally toe-to-toe, wielding a medical kit, for the life of his buddies.

Harzel

Adventurer
I find the OP's proposal to be a somewhat questionable stereotyping of a large and diverse community. However, I am not LGBT, so if the community is on board with that, I won't object and you're welcome to bring it into my game should the occasion arise.

There can be a domain relating to heterosexuality, especially relating marriage blessing, and sometimes extending to associated concepts, such as fertility worship (fecundity, harvest, livestock), wifely duties and the central hearth fireplace for heating and cooking, or so on.

A domain relating to homosexuality, would include blessings for a more egalitarian kind of marriage where spousal partners are equal in rights and responsibilities. It might extend to concepts such as altruism, where an LGBT family is likely to care for children from other families, sometimes from their own extend family, or even orphan children or so on.

This however, is downright f'ing offensive. You do not get to take things like altruism and spousal equality and squirrel them away as solely (or even principally) the province of a particular sexual preference.

MechaPilot

Explorer
OP:
Good for you for being creative. However, I can't say I like the domain you've created. The whole combined safe-spaces and rainbows theme makes it feel too much like a caricature of pro-LGBT activism. Not to say that was your intention (because I can't know what your intent was, because I just don't know you), or even that it looks that way to all or even a majority of people who look at it. I just know that when I read it the domain makes a poor impression on me.

Regarding the anti-hostility ability, alternate names I might suggest for it include Pacify, Detente, and Tranquilize.

Wepwawet

Explorer
But you'll be happy to know that actually there are only two non-LGBT domains, War and Death. All the other published domains, including the new ones in Xanathar's Guide to Everything, are LGBT-exclusive.

Well, think of the Sacred Band of Thebes, an elite warrior force made exclusively of male couples. The idea being that fighting alongside their lover they would be extra fierce and brave, to not make the other feel ashamed of them.
Also, have you seen an angry drag queen? Gurl she can slay!

To the OP, I like it, it is very sweet. It could also be renamed as Love or Tolerance domain, like someone commented above.

If it was me I'd add more blindingly sparkling shiny spells, Alter Self/Polymorph, Vicious Mockery... Oh wait, nevermind, not appropriate, but I think I have a Drag Queen domain now!!!

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
OP:
I just re-read your L17 Anti-Hostility power.
Did you consider the IRL shenanigan where the Cleric zaps his allies (instead of the enemies)? You have given an "I win" button to disruptive players (because the protections extend only to you personally), and set up the rest of the table to be killed: "You lose the will to fight".

OP:
I just re-read your L17 Anti-Hostility power.
Did you consider the IRL shenanigan where the Cleric zaps his allies (instead of the enemies)? You have given an "I win" button to disruptive players (because the protections extend only to you personally), and set up the rest of the table to be killed: "You lose the will to fight".
This hypothetical behavior is well past the point where the game mechanics are relevant to the problem. You can't write rules to prevent disruptive players, and you shouldn't write rules in fear of disruptive players.

Remove ads