Homebrew resolution system critique

HoboTheOriginal

First Post
Hi everybody!
So, a homebrew project went horribly awry and now I find myself building a PnP RPG because I is GEEK! Anyway, was hoping I could get some feedback from you amazing folk and more experienced gamers.
This whole project is like a love letter to all my favourite RPG's and fantasy tropes. It is not intended to make money or get published. In fact, should I reach a finished product, I would simply be happy that people would want to just try it out :)

Okay...
Resolution of conflict is the important part of most RPGs, right? What I need is help in that regard. With that in mind, I'm just presenting the bare bones mechanics without any of the fluff.
What I've got so far:

- D100 system. Abilities are rated on a score of 1-100. Rolling under your ability score results in a success for whatever you're trying to do. Your ability score is modified by the difficulty of the task(positively or negatively) in increments of 10. One always succeeds, 100 always fails. This is only used in a situation where there are consequences to failure or constraints of time. All other conflict should be role played.

- Opposed checks are preformed by the PC rolling under the relevant ability with a modifier based on the opponent's relevant score in increments of 10. Thus a PC with a stat of 52 opposing an NPC with a stat of 28 would get a +20 boost and need to roll under a 72%.

- Combat is resolved in a different manner. It is broken down into steps.
1) Draw: Draw and ready weapons. If there is someone within striking distance, you may strike them in a surprise attack. Likewise, any combatants that were ambushing resolve actions now. Everyone involved in combat right now is treated as having a THREAT of 0.
2) Assessment: This phase is skipped if blood was drawn in the Draw phase.This is the chance for attackers to look around and assess threats, slowly circling each other. Last chance for words, be it taunting, intimidating or negotiating.
3) Movement: Combatants can either tactically move positions, withdraw from combat or close distance with the enemy. Initiative is determined at this stage as a group. PCs and NPCs. All movement is declared by one side, then the other and then movement is resolved. To safely close the distance with the enemy, you must have a higher APPROACH stat compared to their THREAT stat. A higher THREAT will allow the defender a chance to harm the attacker as he closes the gap. Any consolidation from the previous round of combat happens here.
4) Clash: Combatants trade blows and parry in this phase. Within each clash is an attacker(s) and defender(s). The PC rolls a percentile, aiming to score under his COMBAT SKILL stat, while factoring in the difference of his/her opponent in units of 10(positively or negatively). By each unit of 10 that the roll succeeds the PC's stat, the PC is given a success token.

Ex: PC COMBAT SKILL is 63 against an NPC of 48. The PC has one unit of 10 higher skill, so his target number becomes 73. The PC rolls a 32. This has four units of 10 difference from his target number, thus he gets 4 success tokens.
Once a clash is won, the winner buys a result on a chart to apply to the clash.

-There is an ATTACKER, DEFENDER, NON-LETHAL(trips, grapples, disarms, etc.) and PROJECTILE chart. Each chart has 10 levels with 10 being "carry success tokens over into next clash" and each level there after, being a more severe wound until reaching level 1 as a "mortal wound". Additional success tokens are granted due to STRENGTH or DEXTERITY depending on weapons, while the opponent may bump the results back up levels on the chart based on ARMOUR or CONSTITUTION. No opponent can ever bump past level 10, therefore the minimum result is an advantage in the next clash.

After all clashes have been resolved, the conflict enters a new movement phase.

- Stamina is a function of WILL and CONSTITUTION. Stamina points may be spent to give a plus 10 bonus to anything physical, including skill checks, combat rolls and trading them in for success tokens. Spending too much stamina can make you winded or gassed, though.

- Debates will be resolved in the same manner as combat, albeit with different terminology and different abilities - but the concept will be the same. Debates may be utilized in the Assessment phase as a means to avoid physical combat.

Trying to avoid a giant text block, so let me know if anything needs more clarification or detail. Thoughts? Questions? Helpful advice/tips/hints/cheat codes? All criticisms will be greatly appreciated!!!

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Congrats on putting a system together! It can be very rewarding (and time consuming)!

What I'm seeing up front:
Combat sounds complicated. The d100-roll-under system can work, but it's a turn-off for me. Check out Warhammer 40K RPG for an example. Complicated combat can be awesome, but make sure that each step or rule is worth its weight in fun.

I'm not sure that an opposing stat should be -increasing- your odds of success. I'd go with decreasing, actually, so that the PC with a 52 stat would need to roll between 52 and 28 for success. To add some complication, you could still add the 20 points bonus to the PC stat, so long as he still needs to roll higher than 28. The main issue here: doing lots of math diverts attention from what's going on in-game (unless you're roleplaying a math class).

A well-structured combat sequence could add speed and detail to fights. What you lose, though, is some of the originality or chaos of combat. It seems to me that the given system would make each fight feel too similar. You could break that up, and stick with a similar system, by adding a few exceptions to each rule.

Otherwise, looks good! Keep rollin'!

HoboTheOriginal

First Post
Thanks for taking the time to help out, I greatly appreciate any input that comes my way!

Ha! you know what's funny? Almost all my experience in gaming has been around a D20... I didn't even know D100 systems existed until I saw Warhammer Fantasy RPG. Never actually got a chance to check it out,even though I'm a huge fan of the tabletop war games - both universes.

In any event, I actually wanted to try and simplify combat by breaking it down into a single roll. Basically, the opposed Combat Skill roll is the only roll you need to make, and the success points you get as a result determine the effects on the appropriate chart. The rest of the phases of combat are strictly role playing in nature, which will help to break up the minutia of combat - well, hopefully ;-)

Hmmm... I actually really like your idea! My first draft originally called for deducting the opposing Combat Skill from the PC's skill, but I scrapped it to make it more math friendly. I realize the current draft still has some math, but I hopefully have it much more palatable by dealing with simpler increments of 10, rather than subtracting 28 from 52 etc.
The only problem is that I need to be able to generate success points reliably so that PC's can trounce minions, have a reasonably timed duel against equally skilled opponents and they should have strong reservations about going up against a higher skilled individual. I think the current system accomplishes this, but you're right... it feels clunky. I would like it to feel more streamlined...

Again, great idea. A wise man once told me that a game should only be developed in one of two ways. Either an exceptionally simple set of core mechanics which can be altered by side rules and exceptions, OR an extremely complicated system of core rules, but no way to modify or create exceptions to a rule. Pretty much what you just said... So, the general idea is to have this system as the simple core with skills, maneuvers, feats and the like providing the exceptions to the rule :)

Thanks again for the awesome reply!

HoboTheOriginal

First Post
Okay... Here's a more detailed breakdown of resolution that I've got. I hate posting text blocks, but it allows for easy quoting rather than PDF. I'm starting an actual draft of rules in general, so hopefully I can pick your brains a little more before getting to this section in my rules :)

There are 12 attributes that govern all the creatures and characters in the game. The “standard six”; strength, constitution, dexterity, wisdom, intelligence and charisma. In addition, there is combat skill, debate skill, and arcana(a creature's affinity for magic). There are 3 more “static” attributes; perception(creature's senses), approach(a creature's ability to close into fighting range safely), threat(a creature's ability to keep attacker's at bay).

All attributes are measured on a scale of 1-100. The number in the 10's place holder is called the “threshold', while the 1's is the “degree”. If an attribute is to modify a roll, or lend a bonus to another stat, the modifier will be taken from the threshold. Thus, a score of 56 will lend a +5 modifier when applicable. Attributes are bought at character creation, with additional numbers generated by race, gender, age, class and physique.

Static attributes will never be affected by the luck of dice. A perception score of 67 will stay a 67 during opposed checks, or in instances that a target number to find something hidden has been given by the GM. Thus, if the TN is 58, everyone in the party with a perception score of 58+ will have succeeded without having to roll.

All attributes will be categorized by type; physical, mental, social, combat, magical, etc... Some attributes may overlap types, for instance: strength would fit into the physical type as well as combat. As PC's resolve conflicts, they will be awarded points to the attribute type that was involved. Once enough have been earned, the PC may buy degrees to further any attributes of that type, pushing to higher thresholds. So, a PC has been utilizing her strength of 56 for several climbing and jumping conflicts. After levelling, she can buy more degrees to disperse as she sees fit amongst the physical type group. She chooses to put 4 points into her strength score and reach a new threshold of 60!

When testing to resolve a conflict involving an attribute, a percentile is rolled with the target number being the tester's attribute score. If the roll is equal to or lower than the score, it is a success. The range of success or failure may be determined by the threshold of the roll. So, if a roll of 22 is compared against a TN of 65, there is a threshold difference of 40(60 – 20 = 40). Just how successful a difference of 40 is, is situational - but the bigger the difference, the better the results.

Regardless of all other factors, a 01 will always succeed while a 100 will always fail – no matter the undertaking.

An opposed roll is called for when a PC's actions may come into direct contest of an NPC, rival PC, or vice versa. The two opponents choose the attribute most applicable to the situation. The PC will make an attribute check as per the normal rules of checks, but the roll will be modified by the opponent's threshold difference. Thus, in a contest of a PC's 56 against 28, the PC would add the threshold difference of 30(50 – 20 = 30), for a TN of 86. Should the stats be reversed, the PC would find himself with a TN of 8.

The PC is only ever the one to roll. Whether attempting to effect the NPC or resist the NPC, the only roll is made by the PC, modified by the NPC. However, in the circumstance that two PC's find themselves at odds, the PC that initiated the contest is the one that rolls.

Combat is one of the most important systems to resolve conflict. Combat is divided into two phases; movement and clash, with two additional phases that proceed the first round of combat – but only the first round. The additional phases are draw, and assessment.

The draw phase is essentially the transition of a conflict to one that requires resolution through combat. It is a very important phase because it serves as the first step to structuring combat into the narrative. During the draw phase, the individual(s) who initiated combat may preform a single action; attack an enemy within striking distance of their weapon(be it bow, spear, sword or otherwise), close the distance with an opponent as if they had a threat score of 0, or tactically move in any way. Once this phase has concluded, every participant in the combat will have their weapons ready, and be able to fight at full capacity.

The assessment phase is the last chance to abort combat. This represents that calm before the storm, the slight hesitation that men may have before committing themselves to bloody battle. Even animals size up their prey, or begin posturing before a conflict. The assessment phase is mainly an RP tool to enhance the tension of combat, but includes slight actions that may be used to bolster your abilities in combat, or help you avoid it entirely. You may assess threats, mark targets, spot hidden enemies, taunt, intimidate, study an opponent's movements or weaponry, and enter a debate to avoid combat. If there was a surprise attack in the draw phase, this phase is skipped.

The movement phase is a chance for characters to close the distance with an enemy, attempt to withdraw from combat, or move to a more tactical position. Initiative is rolled in this phase to determine who acts first. Initiative is rolled per group rather than per individual participant. Once a group has been given the initiative, all members of that group may declare their movements, then resolve them in any order they choose as movement by a group is considered simultaneous. Once one group has completed moves, all other groups may complete their moves in sequence.

A combatant may close the distance with an enemy to engage in melee combat. Charging at an enemy can only be done safely if the attacker's approach stat is higher than the defender's threat stat. In any other event, the defender may gain an advantage in the clash, or an opportunity to wound the attacker depending on the difference in their stats. Likewise, an attacker with a much higher approach could gain advantage against the defender in a clash.

The clash phase is where actual swords are swung. Opponents who have made contact via the movement phase enter an opposed combat skill check, with the character who made the approach being the attacker. Only the PC's need to roll, whether they are the attacker or the defender. All the rules for opposed checks apply for the clash. So, a PC with combat skill of 62 clashes against an NPC with a 49. The PC's TN becomes 82(60 - 40 = 20)(20 + 62 = 82). The PC rolls a 35, thus generating a threshold difference of 50(80 – 30 = 50). This threshold difference is used to buy results on a damage chart to wound the opponent.

Each damage chart is ranked from level 1 to level 10, with 10 being the best result possible. Each threshold difference from a clash grants you a success token to buy a level on the damage chart. Additional tokens may be granted based on certain other factors, such as strength, dexterity, or spent stamina. Results on the charts vary from extremity flesh wound to a full fledged mortal wound. Additionally, success tokens that aren't spent may be carried over into the next round of the clash.

There are four charts. Attacker, defender, non-lethal and ranged. The winner of the clash has to roll on the appropriate chart depending on his role in the clash, be it attacker or defender – with the non-lethal chart being optional for either. The ranged chart of course only applies to characters using missile weapons. While the other 3 charts are about dealing damage, the non-lethal chart is about affecting your opponent in various ways; manipulating their movement, disarming them, grappling, draining stamina, even spitting in their eyes! Although situational, some results might actually be more effective than applying direct damage.

Stamina points are pooled at the start of conflicts and may be spent to increase the threshold of any roll that is based on a physical attribute. Additionally, they can be used to buy success tokens for damage charts. If all stamina points are drained, a character will enter a winded state of exhaustion where they are vulnerable. Stamina is calculated by adding the modifiers of your wisdom and constitution score.

After each clash is resolved, a new movement phase begins. Characters that are still in an unresolved clash may not move. All other characters may move freely.

Debates will work in a similar fashion as opposed combat skill checks, the main difference being that threshold differences will decide possible concessions. A debate might not always sway the mind of the opponent, but a strong argument might effect those around to support your cause or withdraw support from the opposition.

Remove ads