D&D 5E Using multiple initiative systems in the same game?

Quickleaf

Legend
Has anyone experimented with using different approaches to initiative within the same adventure or campaign?

This probably sounds nuts, but let me explain...

I've noticed that the "everybody roll" sequential initiative (5e's default) creates an undesirable speed bump in the transition to smaller less important combats, whereas it can help set the tone for a more climactic combat.

Similarly, I've noticed that simply using side initiative in 5e can create problems in larger / more significant fights: makes winning initiative too important & reduces the back-and-forth flow between GM and Player.

Here's what I'm imagining: A "zooming" lens of different initiative approaches for three scales of conflict...

Snap Scenes: When there’s one or two monsters of the same type (like a quick guard scene) or just one or two players are involved in a very focused fast scene, it can be resolved with the active/leading player rolling initiative against a DC of 10 + the monster’s DEX. PC wins? They go first. PC loses? Monsters go first. Sometimes, the combat is so secondary to the scene that it can be resolved simply as “resolve the PC’s hostile action" and not even worry about initiative.

This uses 'passive' initiative (the Initiative Score variant from the DMG), but only for monsters.

Typical Scenes: For most combat encounters, initiative is not rolled. Instead, the round begins with whoever triggered the scene (if in doubt, have one PC roll versus one monster to determine who goes first). When that character finishes their turn, they choose the next creature/group to act, and so on. The last person to act in the current round decides who starts the new round – but they can't pick themselves. A creature/PC that hasn’t taken a turn yet this round may interrupt the order if it took damage or if it spends Inspiration or a Legendary Resistance.

This is an idea from Richard Whitters that he's developing for his Ruttiger RPG; it's 'popcorn' initiative but the damage caveat encourages back-and-forth. If there's ambiguity about who is initial actor, either the GM can let the players sort their strategy out, the GM can call for the two debating players to roll against each other, or the Snap Scene roll can resolve between a PC and a monster.

Climax Scenes: For climactic / set-piece / boss encounters, everyone rolls initiative as normal. If the PCs are not surprised, the players may have one minute to make their plan of attack. During initiative, players who have consecutive turns with no monsters in between them may act in any order they wish, including overlapping their turns.

This 'clustered' initiative with a 'football huddle' is what I've been using for my default initiative in all scenes currently. IME it encourages quick planning while injecting some randomness without totally overriding that planing. However, like any method for recording initiative (short of VTT automation) it is definitely a speed bump, so I'm wondering about reserving it for scenes with bigger stakes.

Voadam

Legend
I've played in a game with a popcorn variant of pass the initiative along and it was not quite as quick and smooth as we had expected. It was a bit of a speed bump decision point after each turn in practice.

I do like the idea of possibly doing different systems depending on the role of the encounter.

I was recently thinking of doing a just go in order clockwise initiative for small quick fights. The DM rolls a die the size of the party and opposition and starts there for initiative going clockwise around the table for next to resolve.

Quickleaf

Legend
I've played in a game with a popcorn variant of pass the initiative along and it was not quite as quick and smooth as we had expected. It was a bit of a speed bump decision point after each turn in practice.
I've only used popcorn initiative in small 3-player game, so it's good to hear your experiences with it. Do you think it the speed bump would have been smoothed over somewhat if you'd included the "if you damaged a creature they can act after you" caveat that I mentioned? So that the player only really needs to choose who goes next if they didn't hurt a monster? Or would you still find the speed bump presented by a player having to decide who goes next be not worth it?

I do like the idea of possibly doing different systems depending on the role of the encounter.

I was recently thinking of doing a just go in order clockwise initiative for small quick fights. The DM rolls a die the size of the party and opposition and starts there for initiative going clockwise around the table for next to resolve.
That one I do have experience trying. It was fast, but didn't give the result I was looking for. What I found was that a lot of our quick fights tended not to involve the entire party, but rather one or a handful of PCs. In those cases, rather than having the whole party roll and having to say things like "The wizard PC who was over in this other room hears the sounds of commotion, runs over...ok...and that's their movement, ending their turn", what I found worked better for me was zeroing in on whoever is involved.

For ex, if it were the rogue and fighter and 3 kobolds, and the rogue were trying to sneak up and backstab, but failed their Stealth check, I'd probably just start combat with the rogue going first (not Hidden) along with the fighter, then the kobolds if any survived. If there were some pressing reason why not just having the involved PCs go first... maybe the kobolds are under orders to sound a gong in another room if attacked... I'd have the rogue PC (since they were initiating) roll a DC 12 initiative check; if they won, then the rogue and fighter would go first, if not then the kobolds would.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Just have the PCs roll initiative at the end of an encounter, instead of before and then you can smoothly transition into turn based narration.

Voadam

Legend
I've only used popcorn initiative in small 3-player game, so it's good to hear your experiences with it. Do you think it the speed bump would have been smoothed over somewhat if you'd included the "if you damaged a creature they can act after you" caveat that I mentioned? So that the player only really needs to choose who goes next if they didn't hurt a monster? Or would you still find the speed bump presented by a player having to decide who goes next be not worth it?

That one I do have experience trying. It was fast, but didn't give the result I was looking for. What I found was that a lot of our quick fights tended not to involve the entire party, but rather one or a handful of PCs. In those cases, rather than having the whole party roll and having to say things like "The wizard PC who was over in this other room hears the sounds of commotion, runs over...ok...and that's their movement, ending their turn", what I found worked better for me was zeroing in on whoever is involved.

For ex, if it were the rogue and fighter and 3 kobolds, and the rogue were trying to sneak up and backstab, but failed their Stealth check, I'd probably just start combat with the rogue going first (not Hidden) along with the fighter, then the kobolds if any survived. If there were some pressing reason why not just having the involved PCs go first... maybe the kobolds are under orders to sound a gong in another room if attacked... I'd have the rogue PC (since they were initiating) roll a DC 12 initiative check; if they won, then the rogue and fighter would go first, if not then the kobolds would.
My face to face group has six PCs.

With popcorn part of it was having to still track has everyone gone before starting the next round.

I don't think having a damage interrupt would have noticeably increased the speed.

For us we rarely have split group fights, the priority is on keeping things running swiftly and smoothly and reducing cognitive load distractions for the DM. So for us I am thinking one roll for determining first actor then a cycle that is easy will probably be best.

We're going to be trying out side initiative in our new campaign (a little bit like your "Climax Scenes" above) . Possibly having the PCs make a group initiative roll with the highest result being their spot in the combat unlike the Variant presented in the DMG. Then the players can have a quick huddle to decide which order they want to act so they can coordinate better. At least in theory they can coordinate better. We'll see how it goes.

I'd proceed with caution for your "Typical Scenes" initiative plan. It encourages the behavior of "shoot first, ask questions later", IMO, as the players may seek more often than not to get the jump on the monsters/NPCs since whoever states an aggressive action first goes first. I feel like the existing guideline of "first aggressive action causes initiative to be rolled", as determined by the DM, works well and may actually provide more opportunity to parlay or otherwise seek alternatives to combat when resolving an encounter. I have a particular pet peeve about players trying to get an extra action in by declaring they are casting an attack spell or taking a bow shot or whatever, with the explicit expectation that it will happen before I call for and resolve initiative. So take my caution with a grain of salt, I suppose.

I like it. Maybe a bit too granular for my tastes, but I can see the benefit of having initiative procedures for different levels of fights.

I’m currently using side initiative, but at the start of every round. Highest on a D6 wins, ties go to the players. Once it’s settled start lighting fires under the players to decide who is next. I might try popcorn initiative.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Popcorn/dynamic initiative is what I use as default along with simultaneous actions - where everyone acts at the same time. And as you said with snap scenes sometimes combat isnt even needed just give the minions 1hp and get everyone who wants to roll attack - if they hit, the monsters are defeated.

Your Climax huddle is good for pivotal boss fights, and works well for encounters set up with lair actions and similar tactical options for the monsters too

Remove ads