• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hoplite Combat Feat-- Too strong?

R_kajdi

First Post
I'm going to be running a game in the next few weeks that's centered around a Greek style setting. In putting together some NPCs, I noticed that there's very little in the game to support a hoplite fighting style (Large Shield + Spear) I came up with this feat to do so. Does it seems too strong, too weak, too weird, or too anything else?

Hoplite Training
You have been trained to defend your polis as a citizen soldier with the traditional Hellenic fighting style
Pre-Requisites: Base Attack Bonus +1, Proficiency with at least one Martial Weapon, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Shield Proficiency
Benefit: You may use a normal spear one-handed. You no longer gain the higher strength or power attack bonus while wielding the spear one handed. Your off hand may not be used to wield a weapon, but can carry a shield.
Additionally, if you have an adjacent ally with this feat, you gain a +1 bonus to your armour class as long as you are adjacent. Multiple allies do not stack these bonuses.
Normal: A spear is a two handed weapon.

jimpaladin

First Post
I think it looks ok. A pc may not want to take it but as your post implied it was for NPC's. You're basically allowing the spear to be used one-handed and giving up strength and power attack bonuses. You didn't specify if you still had reach with the spear. You'll need to clarify that.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
You could simplify the language a bit: "You may treat a spear as a one-handed weapon."

You could even make it a house rule, where spears are similar to bastard swords: "A spear is too large to use in one hand without special training; thus, it is a Martial weapon. A character can use a spear two-handed as a Simple weapon."

Cheers, -- N

szilard

First Post
Isn't there a tactical feat in Complete Warrior that is more or less appropriate to this sort of combat? Phalanx Fighting or something?

-Stuart

R_kajdi

First Post
Phalanx fighting is in Complete Warrior, but has basically nothing to do with an actual Phalanx (Pike + Smaller Shield) I think someone just used the word without knowing the basis for it.

I think Nfft's suggestion of just treating a spear as one handed as a martial weapon seems to be the best choice. It's got an odd precedent in the Bastard Sword (which does it for the Martial/Exotic divide) and as has been suggested, it seems to be a neat ability not worthy of a feat.

Storyteller01

First Post
OGL Ancients might help. Here's a review:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10232.phtml

The combat system is a bit complicated (ex: armor and shields have 3 different DR's, one for each type of melee damage) but it can be dropped. It has many phalanx feats, all requiring that three or more working to together have the feat for it to work. The warrior class provided gets them for free as they advance.

PS: while there is no special Hoplite Training in the book, there are two types of warriors. The Noble Warrior is your typical fighter, with enough bonus feats to take Phalanx feats if they wish. The Warrior has a d12, good fort and ref saves, and gets 5 Phalanx and 5 Bonus feats.

It's 3.0, operating under the assumption that the short spear is the preferred weapon for your style. Given the lethality of the combat system (EVERYONE HAS THE CHANCE TO DECAPITATE!!??), the lack of magic, and the serious detriment of healing shortspears are lethal in this game. You're lucky to survive to your first combat.

Last edited:

Storyteller01

First Post
Sorry, those are formarion feats. Here's a quick rundown:

-Concerted Assault: By attacking en mass, you gain a +1 to hit. This stacks with other formation feats, such as Meat Skewer.

-Concerted Fire: By firing in concert on a specific target, said target gets a -4 to their Active Defense (remember, a different combat system. NOTE: This is a -4 against each projectile fired. Nasty if they all aim at the general...).

-Group Charge: While charging as one, targets get a -2 to their Active Defense

-Hail of Missles: By firing as one, targets in a given region suffer a -2 to their Active Defense

-Meat Skewer: Combatants using spears in a meat skewer formation (spearman with reach weapons behind those with shields) gain a +1 to hit.

-Phalanx Front Rank: Those in this formation recieve a +3 to Shield Defense and to coverage chackes made against blows not actively defended against. A large shield, similar to that of the Hoplite, is required.

-Phalanx Rear Rank: Those in this formation (all but the first two rows of a full phalanx) receive a +4 cover bonus to passive defense against missle weapons, as the raised spears block incoming fire.

-Throw As One: When targeting a specific target with thrown weapons, said target receives a -4 penalty to Active Defense.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Nifft said:
You could simplify the language a bit: "You may treat a spear as a one-handed weapon."

You could even make it a house rule, where spears are similar to bastard swords: "A spear is too large to use in one hand without special training; thus, it is a Martial weapon. A character can use a spear two-handed as a Simple weapon."

Cheers, -- N
Exact house rule I use in my game :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads