HOS Paragon Paths up

twilsemail

First Post
Imagine a new supplement featuring a new class that can only be played by red-haired, left-handed, hermaphroditic, one-eyed, 14 year old, drow revenants smaller than 4 feet worshipping Moradin.

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the HyperBowl*...

Servant of Pelor is not a class.
Neither is "Cavalier of Sacrifice."

A Cavalier (the Class) can be any alignment.

*Edit: Yes, I know how "hyperbole" is actually pronounced...

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
Servant of Pelor is not a class. Paladin is. So, in the latter case I cannot play the class (unless I choose to play a Lawful Good character), in the former I can. Simple, isn't it?

Imagine a new supplement featuring a new class that can only be played by red-haired, left-handed, hermaphroditic, one-eyed, 14 year old, drow revenants smaller than 4 feet worshipping Moradin.

Would that be a class you'd like to see? Or would you rather have them publish a class that is available to all kinds of characters?

Sure, if it is good. I'll refluff or reskin it in a second though.

The Little Raven

First Post
Servant of Pelor is not a class. Paladin is. So, in the latter case I cannot play the class (unless I choose to play a Lawful Good character), in the former I can. Simple, isn't it?

Nice attempt to avoid me pointing out how ridiculous your claim is, but you didn't quite dodge it. It still comes down to this:

A Paladin who chooses Pelor as a patron deity has to be Good, by the book.
A Cavalier who chooses Sacrifice as his virtue has to be Lawful Good, by the book.
Neither character suffers any mechanical impact from not meeting the requirement, since there is no mechanical punishment, by the book.

Since both suffer the same restriction and the same penalty, claiming one is a bigger restriction than the other is objectively false.

Could you try arguing in good faith? You're making an absurd argument to try to defend your position that a Cavalier having to be Lawful Good to choose Sacrifice is somehow more of a restriction than a Paladin having to be Good to choose Pelor as his deity, despite their restrictions being identical in mechanical impact.

Jhaelen

First Post
You're making an absurd argument to try to defend your position that a Cavalier having to be Lawful Good to choose Sacrifice is somehow more of a restriction than a Paladin having to be Good to choose Pelor as his deity, despite their restrictions being identical in mechanical impact.
Where am I arguing about Cavaliers? I don't even know what a Cavalier (in 4e) is! _You_ want to argue about the Cavalier!

My point was: I don't want to see (Paragon) Classes that cannot be taken unless you have a specific alignment. I don't care if they appear in 'Classic' 4e or in Essentials. Alignment should not have a mechanical impact or even better it should be removed from the game entirely.

That's the point you're trying to dodge by turning this into a 'classic' vs. Essentials debate!

twilsemail

First Post
Alright Jhaelen, here's what you do. Go buy a roll of masking tape (you might actually need a few here). Next, you pull out the FRPG, EPG, Arcane Power, Divine Power and likely a few books I'm not thinking of. After that, go find the pages with the Doomguide (FRPG), Morninglord (FRPG), Lightwalker (EPG), Lord of Fate (AP), Champion of Corellon (DP), Hammer of Moridin (DP) and all of those other PPs and EDs that require alignment in some way. Now, take that roll of masking tape and go to town. Mask that whole page so you are never forced to read it again.

There. You're safe. You can breathe again.

Just don't let the WotC Ninjas find out or they'll break into your house and put alignment restrictions on you.

Note: No, Jhaelen, you aren't the one who brought up the Cavalier. Someone else on that side of the discussion did.

I refuse to believe that you can take part in as many Essentials discussions as you do and not have any idea what a Cavalier is.

Jhaelen

First Post
Note: No, Jhaelen, you aren't the one who brought up the Cavalier. Someone else on that side of the discussion did.
I see.
I refuse to believe that you can take part in as many Essentials discussions as you do and not have any idea what a Cavalier is.
I _guess_, it's the (or one of the) Essentials Paladin builds. But I don't know any details, hence I asked if it's restricted to an alignment.

If it isn't I don't have any issues with it.

The two 4e campaigns I'm involved in are set in Eberron and in Athas, respectively. So luckily, it's not an issue for me, currently. I just reject the notion of using alignments as prerequisites as a matter of priniciple.

Thanks for your suggestion about using masking tape, though. I think I could use some virtual masking tape to remove certain ENWorld threads from my sight ;)

Remove ads