HOS Paragon Paths up

SabreCat

First Post
Might be funny trying to build a Star pact shadowthief, then again the star pact base class feature is a lot weaker than the shadowthief's.
To combine amusement from both flavor and mechanics, a Dark Pact Shadowthief would be fun. Kill things and build up two separate pools of energy harvested from them for different effects.

Need more bean-counting fun? Hybrid or multiclass with a Psionic class and manage power points too ^.^

The Little Raven

First Post
*grmph* I thought we finally got rid of this nonsense that is alignments (or at least their mechanical relevance...) :(

With the amount of times this complaint comes up as if it were new to Essentials-type builds, I wonder if anybody actually read the description of the divine classes in PHB1 and PHB2?

Every divine class, with the exception of Runepriest and Warpriest, have alignment restrictions. Most have to be the same alignment as their deity (with clerics and avengers able to be unaligned or the deity's alignment). The PHB1 also has the only class power in the entire game that has an aditional effect depending on the target's alignment.

gyor

Legend
What power is that?

The interesting thing about the cavalier is that its alignment restrictions do not conform to diety worshipped so you could have a LG cavalier of sacrifice of Gruumsh or Asmodeaous

Jhaelen

First Post
Every divine class, with the exception of Runepriest and Warpriest, have alignment restrictions. Most have to be the same alignment as their deity (with clerics and avengers able to be unaligned or the deity's alignment).
But that's not a restriction! You can still play those classes with any alignment, you just got to pick a deity that matches your preferred alignment _and_ it didn't have any mechanical impact except for a couple of (bad) deity-specific feats.

But I seem to remember that Essentials Paladins have to be lawful good, right? (Or do I confuse it with Pathfinder?!)

Anyway, Essentials or no, using alignment restrictions as prerequisites/requirements is simply not a good design decision.

The Little Raven

First Post
But that's not a restriction!

Let me get this straight...

A PHB1 Paladin having to be Lawful Good to be a servant of Pelor is not a restriction, but a HotFK Paladin (Cavalier) having to be Lawful Good is a restriction, despite both of them having the exact same mechanical punishment for violating the requirement: nothing?

kaomera

Explorer
Anyway, Essentials or no, using alignment restrictions as prerequisites/requirements is simply not a good design decision.
I disagree. In fact I think simply treating every restriction, requirement, or drawback as a "bad design decision", or as absolutely killing a choice is a bad decision. I do like that in 4e such limitations and their impact are minimized, but I think there's definitely room for them in the design-space of 4e, and I find them interesting to boot.

SSquirrel

Explorer
A PHB1 Paladin having to be Lawful Good to be a servant of Pelor

Just to nitpick, Pelor is Good not Lawful Good. Paladins are champions of a god, it makes sense their alignment should match. I have always sort of wondered why Clerics are allowed to be Unaligned and worship anyone tho. I would have been fine w/alignment finally biting the big one in 4E personally. Maybe 5E

Jhaelen

First Post
Let me get this straight...

A PHB1 Paladin having to be Lawful Good to be a servant of Pelor is not a restriction, but a HotFK Paladin (Cavalier) having to be Lawful Good is a restriction, despite both of them having the exact same mechanical punishment for violating the requirement: nothing?
Servant of Pelor is not a class. Paladin is. So, in the latter case I cannot play the class (unless I choose to play a Lawful Good character), in the former I can. Simple, isn't it?

Imagine a new supplement featuring a new class that can only be played by red-haired, left-handed, hermaphroditic, one-eyed, 14 year old, drow revenants smaller than 4 feet worshipping Moradin.

Would that be a class you'd like to see? Or would you rather have them publish a class that is available to all kinds of characters?

Remove ads