• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How are you accessing the D&D Next playtest materials?

How did you access the playtest materials?

• WotC's website

Votes: 510 71.2%
  • Email from other participants

Votes: 19 2.7%
  • Torrents

Votes: 55 7.7%
  • Google Docs

Votes: 12 1.7%
  • Other hosting sites

Votes: 26 3.6%
  • Someone else's printout at the game table

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • Other source(s)

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • I haven't accessed the material at all

Votes: 81 11.3%

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I chose the "WotC's website" option, since I did manage to eventually obtain the material legitimately. However, until that was actually possible, I had initially downloaded the files from a Google Docs mirror. =/

The same is true for me.

Me too. I spent hours clicking refresh and continued to do so on the WotC Website even while reading the torrents a friend e-mailed me. Eventually I got "real" copies and now use those.

DimitriX

First Post
Though I signed up for the playtest and was sent the email to take part, I was never able to access the website and download the materials. I never got a second email that fixed the bug in the first email. So, though I have a legitmate reason to have the materials, the only reason why I've had anything to look at was because a member in my group emailed them to me.

After that level of frustration with what should be a simple task of downloading a few pdf documents and the 'meh' feeling I had after looking over the documents, I don't think I'm going to bother with any future playtesting.

Hussar

Legend
Looks like the percentages aren't changing too much now. About 3/4 got it legit and the other 25% are a bit dodgy. I wonder how that compares to any other similar online sort of thing.

arsagano

Explorer
I chose the torrents option because that is technically where I got the material. Like many others I was having no success WotC's method. Even though I managed to get through half of the process to download them, in the end the only method that worked was torrents.

shamsael

First Post
I would prefer to access the playtest straight from WotC, but due to the launch day difficulties, I decided to download from a link provided by a 4chan member.

If the WotC delivery system works correctly for the next round, I will gladly get it there.

Greg K

Legend
Looks like the percentages aren't changing too much now. About 3/4 got it legit and the other 25% are a bit dodgy. I wonder how that compares to any other similar online sort of thing.

If it is not changing too much, it is more like 19-20% are a bit dodgy. 5-6% never bothered to access it any manner ;)

Samurai

Adventurer
I would prefer to access the playtest straight from WotC, but due to the launch day difficulties, I decided to download from a link provided by a 4chan member.

If the WotC delivery system works correctly for the next round, I will gladly get it there.

Exactly, I signed up for the playtest months ago, got the email saying it was ready to download, and it gave me error messages. I requested a new password, it failed. I created a whole new account, which took forever on the laggy site, and even that new account failed and couldn't sign in to the playtest. So I gave up and got it elsewhere, after literally more than 2 hours of trying and trying and trying to log in.

I didn't get a reply form, but I posted my playtest results so far on a very popular RPG forum and they can read it there if they are interested.

the Jester

Legend
The first day it was impossible for me to download the docs from WotC's site, so I used the Google Documents mirror- which still took forever due to the traffic load.

No complaints, though- it was worth the effort!

Toyon

Villager
i signed up for the playtest, i received the initial email, but then i never received the link to the test itself. so now i found a way to get it without going through WotC. I want to try the new game, and would be happy to provide feedback. But if WotC cant get their technology right to let willing players get copies, I'll just find them another way.

Remove ads