• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How can I intentionally lose levels??

Shaele

First Post
Strange question I know...

I have a character who is a converted 1/2 elf wizard/cleric from 2nd edition. He was the first character I attempted to convert when 3e came out, and at the time I decided to split his character levels based on his history. I ended up making him a cleric 3 / wizard 3 since that matched my concept (scholar of Oghma) and I didn't think it would hinder him much.

After a year of playing him, I now have a cleric 3, wizard 9 with feats like Brew Potion, and ranks of Profession: Herbalist. Neat character to play, tons of history, and the rest of the party appreciates him. He feels gimped though: the rest of party is casting 7th level spells, and he just learned his first 5th level spell. With a druid in the party, his paltry 1-2 cure lights a day doesn't add much *oomph*, and the clerical feel like a huge waste. If I was to recreate him from scratch, I would go cleric 1 / wizard x, but it's too late now (a year later...)

Is there any *legitimate* way of dropping a couple of levels of cleric in this situation, where his cleric levels were his *first* levels? Ideally, I'd like him to end up a cleric 1 / wizard x: keeping one level of cleric is important for continuity and rp reasons. I'm not picky about xp loss either - I'd be completely happy losing two levels overall as long as they were the dreaded clerical levels (since then he'd still have the ability to eventually hit 19th level as a wizard).

Thanks,

Shaele

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Shaele said:
Is there any *legitimate* way of dropping a couple of levels
yes. it's called rule 0 :D

i've never heard of any 'legitimate' way to change or drop levels (
other than a DM's permission)

Magic Rub

First Post
aliensex said:
Yes there is! Its called "Hello Mr. Vampire", drop trousers, bend over:D

:rolleyes:

...& bribe him with a fresh maiden or 20, not to kill you all the way.

"Ya could you just suck 2 clerical levels from me, Ya if you could do that, it be swell. But just the clecric levels & only 2! I've got some farmers daugthers here for ya."

'Poof'

Before you know it you & all your maidens are dead!

Why not try...

- To find someother "Nice" monster to drain just your 'cleric' levels
- You could make a deal with a devil?
- Beg your DM for the next 30 days till he snaps?
- Beg your god to drop your power
- A Wish/Miracle spell to drop levels (your DM will never see that coming!)

ect. ect. ect.

Painfully

First Post
Seems a bit silly to have your character try to purposely lose levels. As a DM I would be opposed to it, but with enough insistance I would probably give in--gotta keep it fun for the players and all that. Having said that, I wouldn't let a PC that lost levels in cleric, regain them later as another class without a darn good reason--that would be too convenient IMO. If a player could talk me into it because it makes a good story I might allow it then.

Them's the breaks when you multiclass as a caster!!

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Magic Rub said:
could a wish or miracle be used to switch those cleric levels to wizard levels?

maybe you could handle this in-game, Shaele. as a cleric of Oghma, a god of knowledge, someone in the church hierarchy, or even using divination spells, should be able to answer that question.....

Shaele

First Post
<snip>
- To find someother "Nice" monster to drain just your 'cleric' levels
- You could make a deal with a devil?
- Beg your DM for the next 30 days till he snaps?
- Beg your god to drop your power
</snip>

Some good suggestions here.
>> To find someother "Nice" monster to drain just your 'cleric' levels

Level drain won't work, since the clerical levels were the *first* ones gains (i.e. cleric 1, cleric 2, cleric 3, cleric 3/wizard 1, cleric 3/wizard 2 ... through wizard 9). Unless I'm misinterpreting how level-drain works?

>> - You could make a deal with a devil?
NG cleric, can't see it, at least not while staying in character (which is preferable!)

>> Beg your god to drop your power
>> A Wish/Miracle spell to drop levels (your DM will never see that coming!)

True, the DM would never expect that! Would a celestial or deity be willing to _strip_ me of divine ability though, just for asking? Sounds like a conflict of interest :)

hammymchamham

First Post
Mr Fidgit said:

could a wish or miracle be used to switch those cleric levels to wizard levels?

maybe you could handle this in-game, Shaele. as a cleric of Oghma, a god of knowledge, someone in the church hierarchy, or even using divination spells, should be able to answer that question.....

I'd say something like 'I wish my powers in the arcane arts would increase while the powers of my divine would decrease' would be a well worded way. Granted their are better ways to word it, but it fits the purpose

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
Shaele said:
[B
True, the DM would never expect that! Would a celestial or deity be willing to _strip_ me of divine ability though, just for asking? Sounds like a conflict of interest [/B]

Not at all!

The character is politely telling the diety that he can no longer meet the obligations required of him as a priest and must therefore in good concinse lose his abilities.

But why do it at all? He's the only wizard in town who can take care of his own paper cuts!

Remove ads