• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How did you arrive at D&D?

How did you "arrive" in the D&D hobby?

• D&D first

Votes: 260 70.1%
  • Other RPG --> D&D

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • Computer RPG --> D&D

Votes: 22 5.9%
  • Computer RPG --> other RPGs --> D&D

Votes: 12 3.2%
  • Some other, non-RPG (card game, board game, etc.) --> D&D

Votes: 23 6.2%
  • Some other, non-RPG --> other RPG --> D&D

Votes: 13 3.5%

rbingham2000

Explorer
I came into the RPG hobby through Vampire: The Masquerade, which I got into because of my interest in vampires at the time.

I picked up AD&D Second Edition out of a need to explore what I called the "first RPG," and, as they say, the rest is history.

der_kluge

Adventurer
My oldest sister (oddly enough) came across the red boxed set at a KayBee toy store in the mall when we were kids. I was probably in 4th/5th grade when she acquired it. She bought it, thought it was interesting I suppose, but ultimately gave it to me since she didn't really know what to do with it.

Nor did I, in fact. It sat in my desk for years. I played one game of D&D at a friends birthday party. I was in 5th grade. I didn't know what I was doing, and the GM ultimately resolved most of the actions for us, I think. All I really remember was finding a secret door in my hotel room, and fighting something on a pier near the water. It was a published module, I think, since they had professional maps to go along with it.

Several years later, I invited some friends over to attempt to figure out how to play it, and we couldn't quite grasp the concept. Apparently, my game in 5th grade didn't stick with me enough to really educate me on the matter.

I didn't play again until I was a sophomore. We started with 1st edition, set in Dragonlance, and then we promptly switched over to FR (and we took our Kinder and Minotaur with us into that world!). I played a drow acrobat named Delmar. I still have his character sheet, complete with dual artifact daggers. :)

Sheltem

First Post
My first contact with RPGs was a game of D&D (Red and Blue Boxes), which a cousin ran for me as single player.

jrients

First Post
It was spring of 1982 at the KB Toys store at the mall in Bloomington, Illinois where I first spied this strange purplish-pink box sitting on shelf. The cover said "Dungeons & Dragons" in a font kinda like you would see on a storefront sign in a Western, but the cover art. Oh, the cover art! The manly fighter and hot sorceress contending with vile serpentine dragon. The open treasure chest full of sparkling gold and jewels. The mysterious cave in the background. That Erol Otus cover sold me on the spot. I begged my parents to buy it for me for my birthday and spent the rest of the summer pondering over this strange new game. Now more than two decades have gone by. I'm married and have a child of my own. I work a normal job. But I still can't get over that weird little game.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Started with TSR's Marvel Super Heroes in the yellow edition (think it had Thing, Captain Marvel, the female with photon powers, Captain America, and Spider Man on the cover).

Played at school during lunch and breaks and in honors English (which was a sad joke).

One friend noted the publishers. "TSR. Here's a real game." Of course at the time I only had like d6's and d10s so it was a real interesting game.

Still playing today.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads