• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How did you arrive at D&D?

How did you "arrive" in the D&D hobby?

• D&D first

Votes: 260 70.1%
  • Other RPG --> D&D

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • Computer RPG --> D&D

Votes: 22 5.9%
  • Computer RPG --> other RPGs --> D&D

Votes: 12 3.2%
  • Some other, non-RPG (card game, board game, etc.) --> D&D

Votes: 23 6.2%
  • Some other, non-RPG --> other RPG --> D&D

Votes: 13 3.5%

Dakkareth

First Post
I played Baldur's Gate 2 ... again and again. From the old Blackisle Studios boards which I still remember fondly I slowly migrated over to WotC and came here to ENWorld by link to jonrog1's Story Hour. Here I stayed and now I've finally found a group to play with :)

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
1978-79, Monochrome Blue boxed set, parents, toy store? book store? not sure.

We (my brother and I) tried desperately to get our parents involved (we were 6-7-8 ish and had no friends), but ultimately that didn't work out and we were left to our own devices. Very confused when the Dungeon Master's Guide didn't synch up well with the material in the box (just how advanced WAS this "Advanced" thing anyway?). Then the Monster Manual continued to confuse us. Only upon getting the Player's Handbook did we fully leave OD&D for AD&D1E, and I, at least, have been "in" ever since.

Though only primitive reading and toying around with ideas until I hit 5th grade and found fellow gamers for the first time. I still remember buying an adamantium (yep) castle in the Astral Plane (from a classmate) that was stocked with a "zoo" containing the monsters from the S4 insert. All of 'em. Even the demon lords. But my wizard was 500th level so it was no big deal. It was only a few million platinum down the drain; what did I care? I could always make more. So I remapped the thing (figuring I could both reconfigure and redecorate my new digs with very little effort), placed it much closer to the Abyss/Nine Hells/Astral boundary and made myself responsible for holding back the tide of fiends that was always poised to invade the Prime.

In hindsight, that character may have been a little over the top. But when I think about "how did I start playing," I have to confess to this character. I don't, however, have to repeat his horrendously cheesy name.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
read about D&D in a "Games and Puzzles" magazine article in July 75. It sounded really great, but I couldn't afford the £6.50 for the white box set so I made up some rules myself and started playing with a friend. Probably came to half a side of A4. We had a blast. Never did actually get the white box set but borrowed someone elses and purchased Greyhawk which was when things got really wicked.

Cheers

Grand_Director

Explorer
I remember it well. I was reading my Marvel comics when the advertisement for the D&D Basic set was on the back cover. I read those ads for months. It was 1986 and I was twelve. I begged my mom to get it for me and she did. I have never looked back.

vdal

Explorer
The Red Box

I started play in High School using a hybrid Red Box D&D and the DMG from 1ed. We didn't have the other books yet.
The 1st RPG I owned was Traveller in the little black box and then I got the red box D&D for Christmas. I remember my parents asking me if that was really what I wanted. I said yes, yes, yes.
I haven't been able to stop since. 22 years and counting. And now my son is getting interested as well. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads