How did YOU become an Immortal?

MazzelDazzle

Explorer
There's been so much history on this forum and while I feel like I've skimmed every post through time, I doubt that's true… That's why I want to pose the question nowadays to whoever is here. How did you all discover your love for the boundless strength and the infinite worlds that exist beyond the traditional end-game leveling? Can you remember a definitive experience that made you go "Wow" and realize that limits were meant to be broken?

For me, growing up with the influence of anime (Toonami) and an interest in comics served as the bedrock but I think the formative experience that really made me think about it to the point that I would start dreaming of playing or running an Immortal game is courtesy of this video.

To me, there is just something magical about the "End of an Era" cinematic. The content itself, cannot be understated but also the real-life aspect. I had never played the original XIV but the very idea that the closing of the servers, and the re-launching of the game in a new form, was such a powerful event that it spelled the end of an entire world? That definitely scratches the surface of what real power looks like to me!

----

And of course, if you have any origin stories for how your characters broke through, that's excellent too! I want more stuff to read about! :)

RoyDude

Villager
if i remember right its through the divine tribulation which basically beats you and if you live you gain a divine rank of 1 and if you die you get revived but your quintessence (think of god juice/ prayer juice) get sets back to the minimum

MazzelDazzle

Explorer
if i remember right its through the divine tribulation which basically beats you and if you live you gain a divine rank of 1 and if you die you get revived but your quintessence (think of god juice/ prayer juice) get sets back to the minimum
Mhm. That's how it works! I was more so posing the general question about everyone's experiences with the concept, in-game and out :)

There's been so much history on this forum and while I feel like I've skimmed every post through time, I doubt that's true… That's why I want to pose the question nowadays to whoever is here. How did you all discover your love for the boundless strength and the infinite worlds that exist beyond the traditional end-game leveling? Can you remember a definitive experience that made you go "Wow" and realize that limits were meant to be broken?

My Uncle took me to see Clash of the Titans (1981). I would have been about 8 years old. Made a big impression.

Probably also have to credit S'mon (the DM) for taking us into Immortal Levels (c. 1988, we started around 86). I think he was influenced by Moorcock and the Gygax penned Gord the Rogue stories. He is also an incredibly tough (but fair) DM, so either you had to 'git gud' (in modern parlance) or you rolled up lots of new characters. Eventually I got really good and before you knew it we were duking it out with demon princes and dragon gods.

I think I started reading the Mighty Thor around 1990 and that certainly influenced my play a bit.

For me, growing up with the influence of anime (Toonami) and an interest in comics served as the bedrock but I think the formative experience that really made me think about it to the point that I would start dreaming of playing or running an Immortal game is courtesy of this video.

That was extremely cool - but what happened to the gigantic sword that dropped from the sky?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM
To me, there is just something magical about the "End of an Era" cinematic. The content itself, cannot be understated but also the real-life aspect. I had never played the original XIV but the very idea that the closing of the servers, and the re-launching of the game in a new form, was such a powerful event that it spelled the end of an entire world? That definitely scratches the surface of what real power looks like to me!

A Ragnarok style event indeed.

And of course, if you have any origin stories for how your characters broke through, that's excellent too! I want more stuff to read about! :)

1st/2nd Edition didn't have 'epic levels' so you just kept Leveling up albeit the levels meant progressively less and less each time. Even by the time we reached Level 10 my character was all but unstoppable

I recall at Level 10 my Cavalier single-handedly charged a full army.

Not sure if it was a conscious decision or not but S'mon did have to pull out all the stops to challenge us.

I can't recall exactly but presumably in around the Level 20+ mark we started gaining Worship Points and moved up through the divine ranks.

• Defeated a humanoid army led by the Ogre General Hulsk (Ogre Fighter 20)
  • Defeated the Red Dragon Primordius which Pantheons were afraid of (which was some crazy huge dragon - similar to a Legendary Brobdingnagian Red Dragon, if you were trying to make it in 3E using the Immortals Handbook)
  • Destroyed a Temple of Druaga, which summoned Druaga (a pimped out version) who we then defeated - narrowly thanks to Mirv self-sacrificing)
  • Defeated the Champions of Graz'zt (Level 20 Cleric/Fighter called the Colonel, a pimped out Balor, Some Archmage Cambion) in a contest fighting for the Orb of Albinus
  • Fluked killing the Arch-lich; Emperor Kollterion using the Orb of Albinus - Archmage/High Priest
  • Defeated some uber-assassin with a vorpal battle-axe
  • Defeated Tiamat and an Army of Dragons to gain a Stone of Amplification (which multiplied spell effects a hundredfold but could only be used once per year or something like that)
  • Defeated the Alien Intruder (bit like a Draeden/Cogent) using the Stone of Amplification (we threw it into its eye after surviving 1d1000 damage tentacle slaps).
  • Defeated a Mercury Golem at the Malgedan Vault (inside the Vault was a thousand Level 20 Fighters in stasis).
  • Actually got beaten in a fight (I didn't know I was picking a fight with a Greater God of War...and even then Thrin still would have won fairly if it hadn't been for her 'meddling kids' of Level 20 heroes I had to defeat before the fight. Lost and was captured here and had to pay 50 million GP in magic items to obtain my freedom. Basically cleaned me out down to my socks.
  • Single-handedly defeated Druaga (+20 Pit Fiends and 20 Ice Devils) on his home plane. He had it coming.
  • Wiped out one of the Mabden Gates which was spewing out lots of Linnorms (which were super-tough dragons from two brilliant Dragon Magazine articles - every official Linnorm conversion since has been weak in comparison, the originals were tougher than chromatic/metallic dragons). I think this is where Thrin meets Reesha a Barbarian Princess. ;)
  • Freed some alien city from stasis but that released the Level 500 Wizard Doomstar who makes even gods nervous around him. I think he helped us against the Mabden by killing one of the Sword Gods with a Magic Missile spell (although he teleported away rather than face the other two gods who gated in.
  • Travelled to the Cyberpunk 2027 Earth where we traded to the corrupt Arasaka Corporation some Eldren (ie. Jedi) tech for gold. Lots of double crosses and high tech Arasaka Borgs with Grenade launchers are tough. Those dirty bastards nearly killed me permanently.

- There was definitely a fight against Hel and/or Graz'zt in their somewhere. But I cannot remember the specifics. Might have been Thrin teaming up with Graz'zt (Thrin's great uncle) to fight Hel.

I am sure I am forgetting a good few but that has to be at least half of the main immortal adventures.

We also had many adventures where we roleplayed as the servants of the main characters.

MazzelDazzle

Explorer
My Uncle took me to see Clash of the Titans (1981). I would have been about 8 years old. Made a big impression.

Probably also have to credit S'mon (the DM) for taking us into Immortal Levels (c. 1988, we started around 86). I think he was influenced by Moorcock and the Gygax penned Gord the Rogue stories. He is also an incredibly tough (but fair) DM, so either you had to 'git gud' (in modern parlance) or you rolled up lots of new characters. Eventually I got really good and before you knew it we were duking it out with demon princes and dragon gods.
1st/2nd Edition didn't have 'epic levels' so you just kept Leveling up albeit the levels meant progressively less and less each time. Even by the time we reached Level 10 my character was all but unstoppable

I recall at Level 10 my Cavalier single-handedly charged a full army.

Not sure if it was a conscious decision or not but S'mon did have to pull out all the stops to challenge us.

I can't recall exactly but presumably in around the Level 20+ mark we started gaining Worship Points and moved up through the divine ranks.

• Defeated a humanoid army led by the Ogre General Hulsk (Ogre Fighter 20)
  • Defeated the Red Dragon Primordius which Pantheons were afraid of (which was some crazy huge dragon - similar to a Legendary Brobdingnagian Red Dragon, if you were trying to make it in 3E using the Immortals Handbook)
  • Destroyed a Temple of Druaga, which summoned Druaga (a pimped out version) who we then defeated - narrowly thanks to Mirv self-sacrificing)
  • Defeated the Champions of Graz'zt (Level 20 Cleric/Fighter called the Colonel, a pimped out Balor, Some Archmage Cambion) in a contest fighting for the Orb of Albinus
  • Fluked killing the Arch-lich; Emperor Kollterion using the Orb of Albinus - Archmage/High Priest
  • Defeated some uber-assassin with a vorpal battle-axe
  • Defeated Tiamat and an Army of Dragons to gain a Stone of Amplification (which multiplied spell effects a hundredfold but could only be used once per year or something like that)
  • Defeated the Alien Intruder (bit like a Draeden/Cogent) using the Stone of Amplification (we threw it into its eye after surviving 1d1000 damage tentacle slaps).
  • Defeated a Mercury Golem at the Malgedan Vault (inside the Vault was a thousand Level 20 Fighters in stasis).
  • Actually got beaten in a fight (I didn't know I was picking a fight with a Greater God of War...and even then Thrin still would have won fairly if it hadn't been for her 'meddling kids' of Level 20 heroes I had to defeat before the fight. Lost and was captured here and had to pay 50 million GP in magic items to obtain my freedom. Basically cleaned me out down to my socks.
  • Single-handedly defeated Druaga (+20 Pit Fiends and 20 Ice Devils) on his home plane. He had it coming.
  • Wiped out one of the Mabden Gates which was spewing out lots of Linnorms (which were super-tough dragons from two brilliant Dragon Magazine articles - every official Linnorm conversion since has been weak in comparison, the originals were tougher than chromatic/metallic dragons). I think this is where Thrin meets Reesha a Barbarian Princess. ;)
  • Freed some alien city from stasis but that released the Level 500 Wizard Doomstar who makes even gods nervous around him. I think he helped us against the Mabden by killing one of the Sword Gods with a Magic Missile spell (although he teleported away rather than face the other two gods who gated in.
  • Travelled to the Cyberpunk 2027 Earth where we traded to the corrupt Arasaka Corporation some Eldren (ie. Jedi) tech for gold. Lots of double crosses and high tech Arasaka Borgs with Grenade launchers are tough. Those dirty bastards nearly killed me permanently.

- There was definitely a fight against Hel and/or Graz'zt in their somewhere. But I cannot remember the specifics. Might have been Thrin teaming up with Graz'zt (Thrin's great uncle) to fight Hel.

I am sure I am forgetting a good few but that has to be at least half of the main immortal adventures.

We also had many adventures where we roleplayed as the servants of the main characters.
Holy hells, I could listen forever about the adventures of Thrin! One of my favorite readings is the IH website where you go over his origins, stats and so on as well as your thoughts on a Thor film series YEARS before the MCU was even a twinkle in anyone's eye.

I also distinctly remember you having a D&D movie pitch! Have you seen the new one?

Hey MazzelDazzle buddy! :)

Holy hells, I could listen forever about the adventures of Thrin!

Sadly with my terrible memory that's about all the ones I can recall. Although there were certainly more than that - maybe I can get S'mon to remember a few others.

One of my favorite readings is the IH website where you go over his origins, stats and so on

I think we retired him when 3rd Edition came out.

as well as your thoughts on a Thor film series YEARS before the MCU was even a twinkle in anyone's eye.

IF I had more time to find it I would blow your mind with a post I made in 2006. But in a hurry here.

I also distinctly remember you having a D&D movie pitch!

No way the new movie is as good as my pitch but 🤞

Have you seen the new one?

I'm going to see it this Saturday. Was at the cinema opening weekend but we went to see John Wick 4 instead.

IF I had more time to find it I would blow your mind with a post I made in 2006. But in a hurry here.

Found it! Ready to have you minds blown at your favourite Krust's epic level foresight...

...still no thank you message from him, but when you have 20 Wisdom you don't need a thank you. ;)

Remove ads