How did YOU become an Immortal?

Impeesa

Explorer
Certainly some amount of just playing D&D and trying to map epic fantasy inspirations to high-level rules in my mind (the whole Final Fantasy series springs from a lot of D&D influence and then takes it in this direction), but the early Worship Points System threads almost certainly played a big part. In more recent years, watching movies that touched on the subject matter like Thor: Ragnarok and Moana has kept the dream alive. I also recently read Zelazny's Creatures of Light and Darkness on the recommendation that it is perhaps the only literary work that truly describes epic-level D&D and was not disappointed in that regard, had I read that as a young teen it might also have done the trick.

Hey Impeesa buddy! :)

Certainly some amount of just playing D&D and trying to map epic fantasy inspirations to high-level rules in my mind (the whole Final Fantasy series springs from a lot of D&D influence and then takes it in this direction), but the early Worship Points System threads almost certainly played a big part. In more recent years, watching movies that touched on the subject matter like Thor: Ragnarok and Moana has kept the dream alive. I also recently read Zelazny's Creatures of Light and Darkness on the recommendation that it is perhaps the only literary work that truly describes epic-level D&D and was not disappointed in that regard, had I read that as a young teen it might also have done the trick.

I would add Gygax' Gord the Rogue series, especially the last three of...

Sea of Death - Epic Level
Come Endless Darkness - Immortal Level
Dance of Demons - High Immortal Level, possibly low Overgod level at the end

and also I recommend the book Fortress of Eternity which is very cool.

I became a God when a woman said "OH GOD!!! OH GOD!!! OH GOD!!!" to me while in the throes of passion.
To which I replied (smugly and grinning), "Yes?".
Then she laughed, slapped me playfully, and called me a conceited B$st@rd.

Though...I have always been a nerd.
(Are we allowed to say such things on here? I tried not to be explicit.)

Remove ads