D&D 5E How Did You Get Used to Roll 20 or Fantasy Grounds?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I have heard this several times. I have no idea where it is coming from. I've literally pulled up a map from the library and plunked a group of appropriate foes in it in less than 3 minutes. What on earth are you guys doing to have it take so long to prep? Are you just not using the library and drawing everything from scratch? If so...why? Is your layout of trees and roads and rocks and such so much superior to the pre-drawn ones for example?

I suppose that if the library has a map that is just what you're looking for, this would be true. However, when attempting to use either home-drawn maps or maps from PDFs of products, a user has to upload them and then scale them to match the grid spacing. Depending on the quality of the maps you're uploading, this process alone can take quite a while.

I'm sure spending more money would solve the problem, but I have no interest in paying for the use of a service I utilize so rarely, let alone re-buying content I have already purchased.

Others' mileage may vary.

Soul Stigma

First Post
To learn Roll20, open two accounts on Roll20, which you access in two different browsers. One will be your GM account; the other will be your Test account. As you familiarize yourself with Roll20, you can experience it from both the DM and player perspectives, which really helps understand how things work in game.

I don't use virtual character sheets and whatnot. If I was going to go that deep into VTT, I'd say Fantasy Grounds is probably the best bet. For me, Roll20 is a method to play D&D with remote players, but they have their paper character sheets, etc, so the Roll20 part is map presentation, minis, and other visual aspects. Actual game management occurs with other software on my laptop.

Fantasy Grounds costs, has a steeper learning curve but is well integrated with the Wizards material. Roll20 is free, easier to learn but requires more work to get as much out of it as you can with FG (a lot of macro setup).

Last edited:

Kalshane

First Post
In addition, there is a Roll20 Master Series on YouTube, which I've found to be VERY useful.

Thank you for mentioning this. I just watched the first 3 videos last night and already picked up a few new tricks. (Now I have the urge to completely re-do how I've been managing my handouts... :) )

Staccat0

First Post
To learn Roll20, open two accounts on Roll20, which you access in two different browsers. One will be your GM account; the other will be your Test account. As you familiarize yourself with Roll20, you can experience it from both the DM and player perspectives, which really helps understand how things work in game.

I don't use virtual character sheets and whatnot. If I was going to go that deep into VTT, I'd say Fantasy Grounds is probably the best bet. For me, Roll20 is a method to play D&D with remote players, but they have their paper character sheets, etc, so the Roll20 part is map presentation, minis, and other visual aspects. Actual game management occurs with other software on my laptop.

Fantasy Grounds costs, has a steeper learning curve but is well integrated with the Wizards material. Roll20 is free, easier to learn but requires more work to get as much out of it as you can with FG (a lot of macro setup).
This sounds smart as heck.

Is there a demo module I can mess with?

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
There is a demo you can play. You can't save anything but you can play around with it. It's also free and if your DM has the Ultimate License, you can play without paying a penny. Scroll down a bit for the Demo Download. Here's the URL. The automatizing of things in this program is really cool. It's actually a bit easier as a player running multiple characters because of that (or so my players say). As a DM, you need to know a bit more but there are a lot of YouTube videos that help out a ton. The FG message boards are really decent also. I had forum members take time out of their busy schedule to interact live to get me up and running. Good luck in your choice! Having VTTs available now is such a cool thing for gamers and allows me to play way more than I would if there wasn't this option.

Here's the link: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/home.php.

Something else that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is that Fantasy Grounds supports lots of other rule sets officially too! I play Call of Cthulhu and there is a 7e rule set and lots of adventures, plus it converts older adventures into 7e so that opens up even more content. Then there is Savage Worlds which is a very popular system and has a lot of content. Castles & Crusades I'm much less familiar with but there's enough content now for a bundle to be offered. Don't forget that Pathfinder just arrived with much more on the horizon, and you certainly can't discount all the community-made rule sets, like Stars Wars FFG.

TL;DR, if you're only interested in a VTT to play D&D 5e then there is some choice for you, but if you are like me and enjoy playing multiple RPGs then Fantasy Grounds is a great option. But at the end of the day you have to pick what best works for what you want out of the VTT, but try them all. Maybe d20pro or Realm Works would also do what you want, there are lots of options and while some compete directly others only overlap in functionality and target a completely different purpose/experience.

Soul Stigma

First Post
Something else that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is that Fantasy Grounds supports lots of other rule sets officially too! I play Call of Cthulhu and there is a 7e rule set and lots of adventures, plus it converts older adventures into 7e so that opens up even more content. Then there is Savage Worlds which is a very popular system and has a lot of content. Castles & Crusades I'm much less familiar with but there's enough content now for a bundle to be offered. Don't forget that Pathfinder just arrived with much more on the horizon, and you certainly can't discount all the community-made rule sets, like Stars Wars FFG.

TL;DR, if you're only interested in a VTT to play D&D 5e then there is some choice for you, but if you are like me and enjoy playing multiple RPGs then Fantasy Grounds is a great option. But at the end of the day you have to pick what best works for what you want out of the VTT, but try them all. Maybe d20pro or Realm Works would also do what you want, there are lots of options and while some compete directly others only overlap in functionality and target a completely different purpose/experience.

I use Roll20 with Realm Works and Hero Lab, so can attest to overlaps and complimentary functions.

How long do official modules usually take to drop onto Roll 20 and FG? Day and date?
FG drops all official WotC content on the same day as preferred (WPN) outlets. Which is what, 5 days before general availability?

Also be aware, though both FG and Roll20 have licenses to release all official content, only FG has released everything.

Roll 20 has;
- Tales from the Yawning Portal
- Monster Manual
- Volo's Guide
- Lost Mines of Phandelver
- Storm King's Thunder
- Curse of Strahd (just released)
- Tarroka Deck

(Notice what's missing? Like 2 of 3 core books...)

FG has all 19 products that WotC has released, plus additional tokens and map packs from 4E sources.

Soul Stigma

First Post
FG drops all official WotC content on the same day as preferred (WPN) outlets. Which is what, 5 days before general availability?

Also be aware, though both FG and Roll20 have licenses to release all official content, only FG has released everything.

Roll 20 has;
- Tales from the Yawning Portal
- Monster Manual
- Volo's Guide
- Lost Mines of Phandelver
- Storm King's Thunder
- Curse of Strahd (just released)
- Tarroka Deck

(Notice what's missing? Like 2 of 3 core books...)

FG has all 19 products that WotC has released, plus additional tokens and map packs from 4E sources.

In fairness, the Roll20 Compendium for D&D contains all the SRD info, though.

Remove ads