D&D 5E How Did You Get Used to Roll 20 or Fantasy Grounds?

Staccat0

First Post
Are you still going to be podcasting audio only? A VTT eliminates the need for much of the 'theater of the mind' exposition and description, which might actually be a hindrance to your podcast. That said, I use FG and here are the things I usually suggest to others considering it:

• if you get the $10/month ultimate license (recommended!), it's the only cost you'll incur, other than any adventure modules you might buy. Your players just need the free demo and they will be able to connect to your game.
  • I highly recommend buying a cheap one-shot adventure module (AAW ones are pretty good) from the FG store or DMsGuild for learning. There's little enough content that it won't get confusing in the beginning. The official WOTC adventure modules are great, but there is a LOT of content in them, and it can be overwhelming in the FG UI.
  • watch videos about sharing modules, making characters, maps and tokens, the combat tracker, and effects (in that order). Those are the most important things a DM needs to know in order to use FG. (There's loads more features of course, but that covers what you'll be doing 90% of the time).
  • my best protip is to use the quick slots at the bottom of the screen for almost everything. You can drag just about ANYTHING in them, and there are I think 96 of them or something ridiculous like that. You can minimize windows, but I find it's quicker to just drag it into a quick slot and close it.
  • if you are making your own campaign, you'll want to give yourself more time to get to know the app before you jump in and start DMing. I love it, but it's very quirky, and I learn new things about it every time I play.
  • VTTs are a great tool, but they aren't 100% necessary. So only use what's useful to you and actually makes your games more enjoyable. For anything else, do it old school.

Good luck!

Thanks!

And, no this will be just for fun. The problem you describe is exactly why we normally play TOTM. I'm wanting to use this asa chance to do something different.

Miladoon

First Post
I own FG and have also played on Roll20.

FG is the sexier of the two. Roll20 is antiseptic and white roomy. If you want to talk and look at a map, I think roll20 is easier, but it takes some skill at lining up maps. I watched a youtube video on how to do it. Super simple.

FG costs money and to me the difference is like comparing a sedan with a sport sedan. You get a little more sexy for a cost. But both will get you where you want to go.

If you want sexy audio, I would get on a free discord server. As was mentioned above. Discord has dice rollers and you can make as many channels as you want. The only thing I have yet to see is a map interface that allows players to move their tokens.

EDIT: Also wanted to mention that roll20 macros confuse me. It is easier for me to copy and paste from a doc/text file and post it into the text field.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I found Fantasy Ground's interface to be somewhat counter-intuitive.

Also I use Google Hangouts for voice rather than Roll20's audio which can be buggy. Never had a problem with Hangouts.

Handouts and character sheets in Roll20 can be minimized by double clicking the header. It minimizes and goes semi-transparent. Double click to reopen. They can also pop out of the browser in their own windows which is great if you have multiple monitors.

Wow, I didn't know you could minimize them like that. That's awesome - thanks!

I don't know if I could get used to tabletop again. I bought the Monster Manual and Volo's Guide on Roll20, and I realize I'm old and technology mystifies me, but creating a dungeon is like magic. ;)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Wow, I didn't know you could minimize them like that. That's awesome - thanks!

I don't know if I could get used to tabletop again. I bought the Monster Manual and Volo's Guide on Roll20, and I realize I'm old and technology mystifies me, but creating a dungeon is like magic. ;)

I do Roll20 for all games including in-person now. :)

Another tip: Shift+double click a token and it will pull up the associated character/NPC sheet. No shift will just bring up the Edit Token window.

Quickleaf

Legend
I am thinking of running Tomb of Annihilation for some friendly acquaintances. My regular group will be pretty busy with our normal campaign, but I wanna try it.

So, with that in mind, I am considering Roll 20 or Fantasy Grounds. In my home games I NEVER use a map or minis, but part of that is because it's for an audio-only podcast. I think it might be interesting to use one for this.

I don't wanna get a bunch of people to set time aside and watch me fiddle with it though. Any pro tips? Do I just need to find a one shot to jump into?

I ran a 5e game using Roll20 for 5-6 months about 2 years back. We tried many of the features, including API scripts (such as a monster converter tool), maps, and dynamic lighting.

I think the players enjoyed themselves.

As a DM? Never. Frickin. Again. It was such a hassle, the learning curve was surprisingly steep, I spent easily 2-3x my normal prep time prepping in Roll20, and half of what we did wouldn't have been possible were it not for one of our players being a professional software developer who fixed several of the API scripts and generally was a superb troubleshooter.

I'd heard people singing the praises of Roll20 and thought "oh, it's web-based and they look like they have a good team", so there must be something to it. I was surprised at what a headache it was, and especially how much DM prep time is required to approximate the tabletop experience.

Just my two coppers.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I was surprised at what a headache it was, and especially how much DM prep time is required to approximate the tabletop experience.

Just my two coppers.

I haven't fully articulated my thoughts on the matter but I've recently been thinking (after playing in a number of Roll20 games) that the mistake is trying to make a Roll20 game the same as a tabletop game. The medium is different and has its own strengths that, if played to, make it a really great experience. But it won't be the same as tabletop and shouldn't be judged as such in my view.

Quickleaf

Legend
I haven't fully articulated my thoughts on the matter but I've recently been thinking (after playing in a number of Roll20 games) that the mistake is trying to make a Roll20 game the same as a tabletop game. The medium is different and has its own strengths that, if played to, make it a really great experience. But it won't be the same as tabletop and shouldn't be judged as such in my view.

True as that may be, I feel [MENTION=6695548]Staccat0[/MENTION] should know what a time investment he is in for going the Roll20 route. I don't have experience with other VTTs like Fantasy Grounds, so I can't compare the extreme time investment required to run Roll20 with the "basic features" (like maps, functioning character sheets, and monster sheets) to other VTTs. All I can do is share my experience.

EDIT: I'll also note that the Roll20 forums are...how do I say this politely...very heavily moderated. Even trying to ask about certain features compared to other VTTs got moderators breathing down my neck about violating their terms of use. Essentially, the Roll20 forums require you to agree not to discuss other VTTs *whatsoever* on their forums. That is so ass-backward, I can't even begin. So be advised, if you need to ask comparative VTT questions once you start using Roll20, do so on other forums, not the official Roll20 ones.

I will add my thoughts on similar experience with FG

1) If you are polite and respectful, you can discuss any VTT (by name) that you want on the FG forums. Occasionally there will be a little defensiveness from some of the community members (myself included), but that usually only happens if someone appears to be trolling. The only things that are not allowed are: vulgarity, impoliteness, & trolling.

2) Because of the automation in FG with 5E (which is targeted to be about 80%), my games run faster using FG than they do using pen and paper. This is with the same players. Combat is especially faster.

3) My prep time as a GM is about the same with FG as it is with pen/paper, but the quality of what I provide my players is vastly improved. I chose to make or use a map for every combat. Treasure is ready to drag onto the party/character sheet, combats are ready to go with NPCs pre-placed, etc.

Remove ads