D&D 5E How Did You Get Used to Roll 20 or Fantasy Grounds?

In fairness, the Roll20 Compendium for D&D contains all the SRD info, though.

A license of Fantasy Grounds comes with the D&D 5e SRD content as well as the D&D 5e Basic Rules, so you get a lot of D&D 5e content to start for no extra cost and can manually add in what is missing if you have the time/desire, all the automation is there as the 5e rule set and automation is included with the license.

Soul Stigma

First Post
A license of Fantasy Grounds comes with the D&D 5e SRD content as well as the D&D 5e Basic Rules, so you get a lot of D&D 5e content to start for no extra cost and can manually add in what is missing if you have the time/desire, all the automation is there as the 5e rule set and automation is included with the license.

It does, but my reply was to the missing core books.

Whether automation is needed is up to the group. My group rolls real dice and have their own PHBs, so automation isn't a selling point for us. In that sense, Roll20 as a VTT does what it should, simulating our tabletop. It presents maps, tokens (minis for anyone new to VTTs) and can track the basics if you want.

On the subscription level, Roll20 brings dynamic lighting and enforced line of sight for 4.99/month, which is a frankly awesome feature that I use to great effect, but again that's something that may or may not matter to the individual user. Fog of War is already there on the free level.

I already noted in a previous comment that FG is the way to go if you want a fully automated/integrated experience, but it can really start to cost if you want those features to include all MM and Volo's creatures, etc.

The deciding factor for most DMs and players is going to be $$$ at the end of the day. Ease of use can be another.

All of that to say the superior VTT depends on what you want/need and what you can afford. Once you know those specifics, the answer becomes clear.

It does, but my reply was to the missing core books.

Whether automation is needed is up to the group. My group rolls real dice and have their own PHBs, so automation isn't a selling point for us. In that sense, Roll20 as a VTT does what it should, simulating our tabletop. It presents maps, tokens (minis for anyone new to VTTs) and can track the basics if you want.

On the subscription level, Roll20 brings dynamic lighting and enforced line of sight for 4.99/month, which is a frankly awesome feature that I use to great effect, but again that's something that may or may not matter to the individual user. Fog of War is already there on the free level.

I already noted in a previous comment that FG is the way to go if you want a fully automated/integrated experience, but it can really start to cost if you want those features to include all MM and Volo's creatures, etc.

The deciding factor for most DMs and players is going to be $$$ at the end of the day. Ease of use can be another.

All of that to say the superior VTT depends on what you want/need and what you can afford. Once you know those specifics, the answer becomes clear.

Fair enough, but lots of people will buy into FG because they have the core books available, I know I did. It is a selling feature and not to be discounted.

But overall I agree with you that everyone has different needs and has to decide what works best for them.

@Soul Sigma,
As [MENTION=6786221]No[/MENTION]tRusselCrowe pointed out, the PHB is not the same as the SRD. Both VTT's have the SRD included with any license.

FG and Roll20 are different things and excel at different things, and the pro's and cons for each are different. And hopefully everyone makes their decision based on accurate info and a good evaluation of their personal needs.

Let me also add a little kudos to everyone participating in this thread. It's been a nice, reasoned, and polite discussion without anyone getting ... trollish (is that the right word?). Pat yourselves on the back :)

Rhenny

Adventurer
I was lucky that a DM/player in my online group coached me with FG. He’s a FG expert.

Most of the learning is by doing, reading and using video. At first, I didn’t even use any of the automation, but after a while I incorporated more and more.

The official adventures are awesome and a huge time saver. I absolutely love the pins on maps. It makes it so easy to find room descriptions, encounters and treasure parcels. I even use that feature during my in person games where I have my laptop at the table. That and the combat tracker is golden.

Remove ads