• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do fans of OTHER RPGs handle new editions?

Glyfair

Explorer
One thing to remember is that a lot of games had new editions that you might not notice, especially in the early years of roleplaying. Runequest, for example, had almost no significant differences between 1st and 2nd edition. 3rd edition, on the other hand, had a lot of gnashing of teeth. It was made worse by the fact that it happened at the same time as Avalon Hill took over publishing it (even though Chaosium made the design decisions that were causing teeth gnashing).

The first RPG, outside D&D's odd example, I remember with a significant change was Champions. First and second editions were released within a year of each other, IRRC. We did adjust pretty well, though.

Why did those changes often go well? Because RPGs were often rushed out the door unfinished. If they weren't they wouldn't ever be released (see Hero Wars). The second edition was often the "final draft" of the first edition. Changes were overwhelmingly fixes of major problems, and not new approaches to the game system.

Yair

Community Supporter
Depends on the edition, I suppose.

I can say that Ars Magica Fifth Edition was welcomed as an edition whose time has come, and that was carried out well. I'm continually impressed by the new edition's high quality and innovations.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Yair said:
Depends on the edition, I suppose.

Yes. And the game, surely.

I went through plenty of edition changes for various games, myself, and the only one that really stuck in my mind was oWoD to nWoD. That was quite a change. I just use nWoD now, but I changed a lot of stuff to make it "my WoD". I changed the whole background of the new Mage by pouring a large amount of Nephilim and home background into it, for instance. I came up with my own mummies... stuff like that. Now I'm happy with it. I don't care much about following the evolutions now. Just getting the new games if I'm interested, like for Changeling: the Lost.

I feel D&D is different in how much it is a shared experience by many gamers. When I show up at a WoD table, I'm convinced there will be a lot of tweaking and personal background involved. With D&D I sure anticipate a few houserules, but the point at which "it's no longer D&D" is reached much sooner than with other RPGs, I think.

T. Foster

First Post
Glyfair said:
One thing to remember is that a lot of games had new editions that you might not notice, especially in the early years of roleplaying. Runequest, for example, had almost no significant differences between 1st and 2nd edition. 3rd edition, on the other hand, had a lot of gnashing of teeth. It was made worse by the fact that it happened at the same time as Avalon Hill took over publishing it (even though Chaosium made the design decisions that were causing teeth gnashing).

The first RPG, outside D&D's odd example, I remember with a significant change was Champions. First and second editions were released within a year of each other, IRRC. We did adjust pretty well, though.

Why did those changes often go well? Because RPGs were often rushed out the door unfinished. If they weren't they wouldn't ever be released (see Hero Wars). The second edition was often the "final draft" of the first edition. Changes were overwhelmingly fixes of major problems, and not new approaches to the game system.
Another example: Tunnels & Trolls went through 4 "editions" between 1975 and 1977, and released their 5th edition in 1979. However, after that the next edition upgrade wasn't until "Version 5.5" in 2006 (and even that was just the same 5th edition rulebook from 1979 with 32pp of new optional alternate and expanded rules and the "Buffalo Castle" solo adventure stuck onto the back).

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Remathilis said:
Non-d20 - How do fans of OTHER RPGs handle new editions?
I could have sworn that when Shadowrun 4E was anounced, someone screamed "The sky is falling!" ;-)

In other words, pretty much the same as how it works here. If you want to be really amazed, try looking through the internet archive for when FASA closed it's doors and BattleTech was pretty much gone and ClickyTech (MechWarrior Dark Age) was announced. That makes the discussions here seem like an elderly tearoom discussion...

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Cergorach said:
If you want to be really amazed, try looking through the internet archive for when FASA closed it's doors and BattleTech was pretty much gone and ClickyTech (MechWarrior Dark Age) was announced. That makes the discussions here seem like an elderly tearoom discussion...
Ain't that the truth. That was one new "edition" I actually did abandon, even the novel line. It was so dramatic I couldn't bring myself to get around the changes. Still can't after this time.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In 30+ years of gaming, I've played perhaps 50 or so systems and at one point owned about 100. Basically, I don't get in an uproar over edition changes. If I like the new stuff, I buy it. If I don't, I let it pass.

HERO is my favorite system- with the exception of the FUZION rules, I've liked and bought them all.

I've enjoyed certain characteristics of each version of D&D I've played, so I'm pretty much 90%+ current on it.

Paranoia and Traveller are 2 other games I've kept up with through each iteration.

So far, I'm current on both Spycraft and Mutants & Masterminds.

I would have bought more RIFTS if the errors I noticed in my edition had been corrected in subsequent ones.

I own original & D20 versions of some games, like Stormbringer, CoC and Deadlands.

Most games I've bought I only own 1 edition's worth- less because of furor over changes in the game and more about lack of players. Many I just have because I like the fluff if not the mechanics, and mine them for ideas. Some, like Space: 1889, Underground and Universe never made it to a second edition.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Eric Anondson said:
Well, I did say nearly. :heh:

Well, if you look good and hard, you'll find fans of WFRPv1 who despises everything that's put out now, and who claim that there is no quality to be found in recent products, Ennie awards, good reviews and happy fans notwithstanding. :D

/M

Moon-Lancer

First Post
well i have only ever played d&d 3.5, so this is the first time I have had a game change versions or editions.

To me, it feels time. 3e could have gone on longer, but most of the later 3.5 books that were coming out i really thought to myself "does anyone really buy this stuff???" I don't know how successful d&ds books have been as of late, but I could see a version of d&d coming out, considering how stale the 3.5 products have been (at least wotc ones). The only recent books I have wanted to get have been book of 9 swords, but seeing that 4e is supposed to have alot of similar mechanics (but more traditional fantasy style) i think i will old off on bo9s until i see 4e.

I probably would have played 3.5 for a few more years and then switched to wod, so im not too bumed that 4e is comeing out. If i dont play it, i may not be in the hip crowd, but i have players who still like 3.5 so its no biggie. if I play 4e its not too much money to switch, and i don't have alot of books invested in 3.5 and i dont have any complaints that i dearly love (save for ravenloft and i can play 3.5 for that) so i guess i'm not too set in my ways at the moment.

I just cant see how wotc could have made it a few more years without 4e, so i guess i forgive them.

sorry for the rant.

yeah the clicky tech ed of batttle tech is some where i did not go . the new classic ed i still didnt like some of the changes but yeah 4th ed is tame next to that chaos pit of doom

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads