• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do fans of OTHER RPGs handle new editions?

Raptor

First Post
If the current edition has a lot of flaws that are noticeable, then I tend to welcome the new edition. If the current edition is working then the new edition is SOL.

Rothe

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I never said this and, as somebody who still plays The One True Game (per diaglo) on occassion, I resent you putting those words in my mouth. That said, most older edition fan communities I'm familiar with (and I'm familiar with quite a few) have earned a not inaccurate reputation for spending as much (if not more) time bashing new editions as they do discussing older editions. As a fan of older editons, this deeply troubles me.

[Edit: For clarification, this deeply troubles me because previous edition fan communities being known primarily for bitter hatred does little to attract new fans to old games or said communities while simultaneously doing plenty to drive people away. It's a great way to guarantee that the fanbase for OOP games/editions continues to dwindle.]

I agree. 3e is not my cup of tea so much, OD&D and 1e being much more so. But it is only a game, the versions I prefer are not the best, nor perfect, nor the only way and nor are the other editions crap.

On turning folks off, I can personally attest that when I sought to recruit players for 1e, who had little experience with D&D, I foolishly pointed them to an old edition site; the bitterness and do it this way or not at all attitutde turned them off from the idea.

In D&D messageboards I see the most baseless and pedantic attacks in the edition wars. In contrast, check out Citizens of the Imperium, a Traveller site. All editions are supported, even those versions that some would say are "not Traveller." You can even, shock, call something silly in an old edition and not ignite a flame attack, but rather explore others house rules that "fix" it and hear reasoned arguments seeking common ground that say it is not broken. Respect and a productive discourse are common. Caveat, still be careful when in the area of near-c rocks. :)

Tyrrell

First Post
In general they react the same way as D&D fans but less vociferously. Lots of other games have updated more frequently than D&D.

Happily, sometimes the reaction really does depend on the quality of the new edition. Fifth edition Ars Magica was received extremely well. Third edition Ars Magica was never particularly well liked (although due to white wolf's marketing it probably sold the most).

Jhaelen

First Post
Remathilis said:
How do fans of White Wolf, Star Wars, Shadowrun, Gurps, HERO, and other RPGs handle the announcement of a new edition? Better or worse than the announcement of a new D&D?
Depends on the system :p

With Ars Magica, I've been excited about each new edition and have eventually bought every single supplement.

With WoD, I've bought lots of supplements for the first edition. Too many to be willing to invest a similar amount in a new edition.

With Earthdawn, I've bought the new edition and would have converted, but the other players didn't seem to be interested, so we sticked with 1st.ed.

With DSA, I've tested every new edition. All of them have been very different from each other, but they still haven't reached a point of perfection that would me make buy more than the basic set for each.

With D&D I've skipped about every other edition so far: I wasn't interested in OD&D, but I was instantly a fan of AD&D 1st.ed. Second edition wasn't sufficiently different from first, so I just copied some parts from the new rules I liked and kept going.
I bought the PHB and DMG for 3.0 but never used them in play because 3.5 became available when I started my campaign. I've been using the SRD + MM1 3.5 for my game so far (+ several 3.5 supplements like the Complete series).
I'll probably buy the 4th.ed. PHB out of curiosity, but if I am actually going to use it, I cannot tell yet. First, I'll finish my current campaign.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Rothe said:
In contrast, check out Citizens of the Imperium, a Traveller site. All editions are supported, even those versions that some would say are "not Traveller." You can even, shock, call something silly in an old edition and not ignite a flame attack, but rather explore others house rules that "fix" it and hear reasoned arguments seeking common ground that say it is not broken. Respect and a productive discourse are common. Caveat, still be careful when in the area of near-c rocks. :)

CotI is one of those message boards that, for me, has proven an exception to the rule -- I sure wish I had more interest in Traveller ;)

Mokona

First Post
Remathilis said:
"Its a money-grab!"
White Wolf's Vampire: the Masquerade and other titles had new editions every other year or something in the early days. I don't remember shouts and complaints at the time. Sometimes it seems like only D&D fans are annoying.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Mokona said:
White Wolf's Vampire: the Masquerade and other titles had new editions every other year or something in the early days. I don't remember shouts and complaints at the time.

There were screams aplenty in the hidden nests of the Camarilla fan club ;)

Glyfair

Explorer
Another example:

Dragonquest had a couple of versions released at SPI. There were no real complaints.

When TSR "the Evil Empire" took over after SPI collapsed the new editions got many complaints. Part of it was because some material was eliminated (while unpublished information was added). However, much of it was because TSR was blamed for SPI's decline and much of the fan base hated TSR.

SavageRobby

First Post
Cutter XXIII said:
The new "edition" of Savage Worlds is about to be released in a few days.

'Course, the "edition" is really more of a new printing than anything else. The rules changes aren't substantive, and you could easily use any earlier editions you have without worries - and certainly not the conversion issues that have been typical between the later D&D revisions (2x to 3x and now 3x to 4x).

Shortman McLeod

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Or the bile initially spewed by GURPS 3e Revised fans toward GURPS 4e. Or the AD&D 1e fans coining cute terms of endearment like "3etard" for players of D&D's current edition. Or. . . many fans seem to handle new editons of Their Favorite Game poorly in general. Most of them also seem to eventually come around, save for tiny groups of bitter hold-outs.

I wouldn't be bitter if those doggone kids would just stay off my lawn!

Remove ads