• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do fans of OTHER RPGs handle new editions?

Remathilis

Legend
"I think its amazing!"

"I refuse to buy anything from them again?"

"Its a money-grab!"

"I will buy it as soon as it comes out"

How do fans of White Wolf, Star Wars, Shadowrun, Gurps, HERO, and other RPGs handle the announcement of a new edition? Better or worse than the announcement of a new D&D?

Inquiring minds want to know...

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Yup. I was heavily invested in Mage in all its original editions. The change from Mage 1st to Mage 2nd was actually the only one I remember no doomsday predictions about, but I think everyone trusted its designer at the time. The rumbles from Mage 2nd to Mage Revised were pretty loud and there was large disappointment in its release. The boards were afire w/ rage when the new WoD Mage was announced with *lots* of changes. Can't tell you how it was received---I stopped paying attention. :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Or the screaming between 2nd edition oWoD and revised.

Or the bile initially spewed by GURPS 3e Revised fans toward GURPS 4e. Or the AD&D 1e fans coining cute terms of endearment like "3etard" for players of D&D's current edition. Or. . . many fans seem to handle new editons of Their Favorite Game poorly in general. Most of them also seem to eventually come around, save for tiny groups of bitter hold-outs.

Dunno about WoD -- I had Mage 1st edition, which was kinda cool, but never really captured me. I certainly never "moved on" to later editions.

I used my 1st edition Call of Cthulhu rules for years and years. I finally bought the 5th edition one time when I was out of town and some friends wanted me to run a game, so I use that, now, but I'd be just as happy with 1st edition CoC (of course, there's not really much difference in the various CoC editions).

Come to think of it, I stuck with 1st edtion Rolemaster, too. By the time the later versions came out, I'd already house ruled and cherry picked all the optional rules I wanted, and didn't feel like changing to a new rules set.

I did move from 1E Mutants & Masterminds to 2E Mutants & Masterminds, though.

pawsplay

Hero
In general, fans of other games are happy with new versions. Except, of course, the very last one...

Larger players, such as WotC, but to a lesser extent White Wolf and SJG, are more insulated from "death by unpopular product" and there are waves and ebbs of discontent, and further, more loyalists to previous editions in greater numbers. However well received a product is, in absolute terms, more popular products spawn absolutely greater numbers of haters for the new editions.

Treebore

First Post
I for one didn't complain about the edition changes to Shadowrun, they were needed. With SR4, now I would start complaining. SR4 is the most solid set of rules yet. Not perfect, but solid enough to tweak to my satisfaction.

L5R. It needed an "update", so I was cool with 3E. The only thing I hate about 3E is the layout of the rules. Plus I was smart enough not to buy the first printing and waited for the second printing.

Traveller, I didn't care. I liked the MegaTraveller rules and have stayed with them. Bought GURPS stuff whenever I wanted "more".

Of course, 3E D&D is the only system, and edition, for which I have spent thousands of dollars for. Still, for me, 4E is no big deal because I quit using 3E of my own accord two years ago.

So if 4E is truly an improvement for what I want in a D&D game, I'll sign up. If it smore of what I don't like about 3E, then I won't.

Simple as that for me.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
pawsplay said:
In general, fans of other games are happy with new versions. Except, of course, the very last one...
That's almost sig-able . . . if I were someone to use signatures.

The one big name RPG I can think of that received nearly overwhelming support from old edition users was Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. The latest edition was pretty well welcomed, though quality issues cropped up like copyediting and errata that peeved fans.

pawsplay

Hero
Eric Anondson said:
That's almost sig-able . . . if I were someone to use signatures.

The one big name RPG I can think of that received nearly overwhelming support from old edition users was Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. The latest edition was pretty well welcomed, though quality issues cropped up like copyediting and errata that peeved fans.

... I prefer the old magic system in some respects.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads