• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do I build an interesting climbing challenge/encounter? Tipps please!

lkwpeter

Explorer
Hey guys,

so, here is the situation: In my next adventure the characters need to travel to an old shrine. Therefore, I want to make the travelling a bit more interesting than it normally is. So, I always thought of paying some more attention to "skills" (ability checks) and that's why I wanted to build a a climbing challenge.

My questions is:

How could I do that best? I think it won't be an interesting experience for them, if I just let them roll athletics several times. But how could I spice it up a bit? Should I make a riddle out of it? Would a small fight (not hard, but tricky while climbing) be the right ingredient? Has anyone experience with that?

I am leading a group of four characters at level 11. One of them can fly once/rest. We have two Balloon Packs (Feather Fall) and a Cleric that can cast Feather Fall. Three of them have Potions of Climbing.

Would be happy about tipps!

Thanks!

cmad1977

Hero
I'd do one of a couple things.

1: varied skills+combat/environmental challenge.
Make some parts about climbing, some about jumping, rockfalls, angry animals that don't appreciate guests.
2: given the resources at their disposal if they use the potions and spells to get by the climbing challenge I would just let them get to the top.

Ultimately it boils down to either risking damage or using resources to get past the obstacle for me and in either case they're either excited that they bested the challenge or proud that their character has the abilities to beat the challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
A climbing challenge probably won't be very difficult or interesting for characters at this level and with those resources.

To make travel more interesting, I suggest creating a time crunch. Perhaps the NPC they need to meet at the shrine is dying or has to leave. Or maybe there's a large group of ogres coming down the mountain to smash the shrine to bits on the night of the new moon or whatever. Give them a set amount of time to get where they need to be, then put delaying challenges in the way. If they succeed, they can get to the shrine on time. If they fail, then they either don't get to the shrine on time and suffer some consequence or they do get to the shrine on time but at great personal cost.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Hey guys,

so, here is the situation: In my next adventure the characters need to travel to an old shrine. Therefore, I want to make the travelling a bit more interesting than it normally is. So, I always thought of paying some more attention to "skills" (ability checks) and that's why I wanted to build a a climbing challenge.

My questions is:

How could I do that best? I think it won't be an interesting experience for them, if I just let them roll athletics several times. But how could I spice it up a bit? Should I make a riddle out of it? Would a small fight (not hard, but tricky while climbing) be the right ingredient? Has anyone experience with that?

I am leading a group of four characters at level 11. One of them can fly once/rest. We have two Balloon Packs (Feather Fall) and a Cleric that can cast Feather Fall. Three of them have Potions of Climbing.

Thanks!

Even at that level and with magic, it can still be a very interesting session if you run it like a dungeon. Set decision points (rooms) from 30 to maybe 300 feet apart. Remember that not all of the movement will be vertical, which can also extend the climb.
For example:

You've made it about 300 feet up, where the cliff juts out about 20 feet. It's about 30 feet to the left, or 80 feet to the right to get around it, or you can try to climb the overhang. An Insight check (in my case passive, to start), would tell them that the easiest route is to the right, but they can't easily see what's beyond that point. The left is harder, but it looks like there is a good path beyond that with a vertical crack in a bit of a corner making the vertical ascent a good probability there. Climbing the overhang is the shortest, but by far the most difficult.

You then have encounters or events at each point. For example, to the right, there is a further overhang, and fewer handholds once they get around the corner. Not the best option. To the left, there is a clutch of stirges nesting in the vertical crack. If they are moving half-speed and using Stealth, they might be able to detect the stirges before they awaken them. Going over the overhang is very difficult, but if successful, it's shorter, and there's a very easy climb for several hundred feet.

Although things like harnesses, carabiners, and such didn't exist, I'd assume they can use pitons and rope to attach themselves to the cliff. They won't have 1,300 feet of it, so if somebody falls, there will be a second skill check to see if the next person is also pulled off of the cliff, and once it gets to the pitons, it would be a check to see if it pulls loose (with it being more likely if more people fell).

If somebody does fall (and use feather fall), then you can assume they'll take the same route up that they did the first time, to rejoin their companions. Just make the climbing checks that you feel are necessary, but let them rejoin fairly quickly. Instead, keep track of the amount of time it took, since their potions have a limited time limit.

Combats should involve lots of flying creatures that can dive to attack then get out of reach, the characters can only use one hand, and risk falling each time they make an attack. Things like stirges are great. With a half dozen attacking a single target, they can't all easily be killed in the first round. So they'll have the opportunity to cause damage for a couple of rounds.

Design rockslides, loose rocks, and even encounters with relatively insignificant creatures as traps. For example, a flock of birds might cause a small amount of damage, but force a climb check with disadvantage or fall.

Keeping track of time will be important.

Figure out blocks of time before the session. The easiest approach would be to pick a set amount of time, such as 5 minutes, for each decision point, regardless of what happens at each one. That means a potion would last 12 decision points.

For ability checks themselves, instead of making them every 50', make them between decision points, and apply modifiers based on the distance. So the base DC might be 15, but because you're climbing 300' to the next point, make it a DC 18 or 20.

This is based on the assumption that they'll need to set a piton and attach a rope, detach a rope from the back and maybe remove the piton, then move forward 50' and do it again. They could potentially tie multiple ropes together, but that runs the risk of longer falls for more damage, and the knot between the two failing on a fall.

On a fall not lessened by feather fall but stopped by a rope, I would probably make a check to possibly drop equipment.

I would also use the encumbrance rules (although RAW it would only impose disadvantage on climb checks if you were heavily encumbered), and probably also impose disadvantage on climb checks in any armor that has a strength requirement. But if I didn't impose disadvantage for merely being encumbered, there would be a greater chance that your equipment could pose a problem on a failure.

If there is a failure, pick a random point along the way and that's a new decision point (adding 5 minutes of time), and address the failure.

There are a lot of other options for failure (dropping something, getting equipment hung up on something, a piton pulling loose and you have to decide if you go back to fix it, or potentially risk losing it, knocking rocks loose, attracting curious creatures, or attacks from those at the top of the cliff, etc.). Not all of them have to cause damage either. They should be suspenseful, though, require some sort of action on the part of one or more of the PCs, and is eating up time. I generally use the threshold of failing by 5 or more is worse than 4 or less.

Many of the possibilities for failure could also be potential random encounters. If you don't want "disturbing a bird's nest" to be a possible result on a climb check failure, then check for random encounters in addition to the climb check between points.

It should be pretty clear to the character that can fly, that unless they have some other alternative (rope trick, for example), they won't be able to rest until they reach the top, and they'll be able to use that ability once on the climb.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION] is right on the money. If you map the climb route like you would a dungeon, you'll be able to plot out and lay out much of what he says. The description of each area as you reach it (and what is there to look at, grab, hold, use), the different pathways up, the different encounters at various "chambers" of the climb. And most importantly... treat a lot of the hand holds, shelves, outcroppings etc. the same way you might treat traps in a dungeon-- it's not enough to just say "I disarm the trap!" and then get told to make a Thieves' Tool check... you need to actually describe what it is you are doing first and *then* roll the check to see how well you accomplish it (and if what you were describing had nothing to do with what needed to be done, then the trap goes off regardless.) By the same token, the PCs need to describe how, where ropes are tied off, where they stand and grab, make Perception/Investigation/Survival checks to verify things, and *then* get to make Athletics checks (or Acrobatics whatever other checks you require instead) to see how well they accomplish it (and maybe giving Advantage or Disadvantage depending on their plans, what they saw etc.)

If you spend as much time building this climb as you would building a dungeon, I think you'll come up with something really memorable for your players. Best of luck!

Quickleaf

Legend
Hey guys,

My questions is:

Thanks!

I've run a rappelling descent as a "skill challenge" in 4e.

There was no time pressure.

There was risk of combat during the climb, but no actual combat occurred in my case (due to rolls on random tables).

The key is to get really specific about your scenario. It's not a "climbing challenge." Don't stop there. It's "The Ascent to the Fallen Shrine of Terithran, up the Sandstone Cliffs of Insanity Riddled with Ankheg Burrows." And don't stop there either.

What sort of challenges & meaningful choices are unique to your location? And what challenges do you foresee as being unique to the approach/strategy your party is taking?

For example – you have a PC who can fly. "Difficult chinsy handholds and crumbling rock" isn't going to mean a lot to that PC. However, strong winds echoing with the call of sirens might blow them off or lure them into flying away. Alternately, you could have a chimney crack or similar tight space the PCs need to traverse to reach an old dwarven gate (which easy access was lost to due to an earthquake centuries ago); sure the flying PC can flying up and over the chimney crack, but that means being separated from the party until they make it through whatever tunnel lies beyond the dwarven gate. Do they want to do that? Maybe they're a chaotic type and they're fine with it? Great! That's when you can have them run into the harpy nest! Or if they decide to stay the course with the rest of the party, flying up the chimney crack, well in that cramped space falling rocks are going to be just as dangerous to the flying PC as everyone else.

Normally, when I design scenarios like this, I go back to paper-and-pencil, sketching out a rough schematic map.

There's a lot more points I can add (e.g. about "sight-lines" being both foreshadowing & reward, or designing in 3-dimensions), but that's a good starting point for you.

EDIT: Also, don't think of a climb as "up a cliff face and done." That can work if your specific scenario calls for it, but I think drawing on real-life mountaineering is more interesting – you're going up and sometimes down, you're route-finding, you're on the lookout for terrain hazards like avalanches & rock fall, you're looking for the next place to put your anchors and where to begin the next pitch of the climb, you're commenting on views with friends and trying to assess where you've been & where you're going, you're noticing signs of past mountaineers, you're thinking about rappelling down, and if it's an extended journey you're thinking about where to rest.

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
The big danger at this level of adventuring is the party simply completely bypassing the challenge. Between spells like Levitate, Spider Climb, Fly, Gaseous Form, Dimension Door, Polymorph, Planar Ally, various Conjure spells, and class abilities, "simple" and "small" obstacles can become reasonably trivial.

aco175

Legend
I like the idea of having a long switchback that climbs up the mountain. Some ninja repelling goons rappel down in mass leaving several ropes down the mountain across the road. Now the PCs can climb and make faster time than the long switchbacks that go back and forth up the mountain. There should be something like a ritual they need to stop and after the first attack they should become aware that they need to go faster.

The thief can clime at his speed and may want to climb while the mage with limited Athletics may wish to run around the long way. When more bad guys come down to another landing or the landing above the PCs and shoot down there will be a couple options to get higher.

lkwpeter

Explorer
Wow! What awesome posts! Thanks a lot (especially @Ilbranteloth and @Quickleaf).

I don't have time to write a lot at the moment. But I wanted to say thanks acknowledge and your great inspiration in advance.

I will elaborate on it tomorrow more detailly.

Kind regards!

Remove ads