• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you adjust SOLO monsters from MM1?

styker

First Post
The rules for solos changed in the DMG2. So, how do you adjust the monsters from MM1? I´m reducing the defenses by 2 and the hit points by 20% and adjusting the damage by half the level. I m not sure about the damage adjust, what do you think?

Destil

Explorer
I pretty much adjust every monster I run (no expertise in my game), but in general I do the following sorts of things, depending on the monster. As far as making the creature 'double damage while bloodied' I usually feel a need to mix it up, I haven't resorted to flat bonuses (yet, I'm sure I'll see an oppertunity)...

Increase recharge dice on powers while bloodied.
Aura turns on/gets better when bloodied.
Free action point when bloodied.
Gains new interrupt power when bloodied.
Extra sneak attack while bloodied.
Spawns/Resurrects minions when bloodied.

Imruphel

First Post
I adjust all my monsters in the Monster Builder taking particular care to:

- adjust defences to "normal"; and
- adjust damage to the recommended damage.

For dragons I change the claws to minor 2/round and remove the standard action combined attack. I like to use minor 1/round actions for all elites and solos to give them another option. I also like some sort of immediate reaction/interrupt defensive power.

styker

First Post
I adjust all my monsters in the Monster Builder taking particular care to:

- adjust defences to "normal"; and
- adjust damage to the recommended damage.

For dragons I change the claws to minor 2/round and remove the standard action combined attack. I like to use minor 1/round actions for all elites and solos to give them another option. I also like some sort of immediate reaction/interrupt defensive power.

I loved this idea. Especially because the dragon (except the green i think) doesnt have minor actions, so they lose it.

babinro

First Post
The latest thing I've done with 'solo' creatures is run two of them using their bloodied hit point value as their max hp (in effect they are closer to elites). This makes battles with solo creatures actually challenging for my party. I should note, that my party is obsessed with effects that ruin creatures turns. It is not uncommon to have a single solo creature in my campaign dazed and immobilized for more than 70% of the time its alive. As such, running two of them at less hp allows them to somewhat accomplish their goals.

This of course being in addition to any surrounding companions a solo creature might normally have.

the Jester

Legend
You don't really need to adjust solos from the MM1 if you don't want to; they'll pretty much work fine, though most have some limits that way.

If you want to adjust them to bring them in line with DMG2/MM2 guidelines, basically drop defenses by 2 and, if the monster is paragon or epic, reduce hp by 20%. You certainly should NOT drop their damage imo; most MM1 solo monsters do low enough damage as it is.

If you want to tweak them to make them more fun, that's a real case by case thing, but I agree that minor 1/round actions and immediate action abilities both really help a solo present a credible threat. I also really like my "fast & furious" variant- half hit points, double damage dice (so 2d6+3 becomes 4d6+3). That makes solo (or whatever) monsters more dangerous but also quicker to fall.

Disclaimer: the party I have run 4e for has multiple leaders in it, so my perception may be colored by their extraordinary healing ability.

balard

Explorer
I have some rules when designing solos, and always change the WotC ones.

- Lower defenses and Hps. The basics they changed in MM2/DMG2
- High mobility/high range. The solo have to be a threat to the whole party. It's difficulty if it acts like a locking Soldier.
- The most crippling status effects for the monster gets him a bonus. A immobilizing against a melee monster may give him a ranged attack, and a stun could give him a deadly aura.
- Have stages in the fight. Not just up the monster power past bloodied. Changing tactics is better. A monster with many status attacks could start to do more damage/less status, or a ranged monster becomes melee. Changes in defenses are also good.
- Actions, plenty of actions. Solos should have 3+ attacks per round. Just limited in how many times they can attack the same target.

Starfox

Hero
I like to do these on a case-by-case basis, but in a pinch and when out of time II would do this:

Decrease Hp

Make the basic attacks minor actions.

Remove ads