• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you find out your computers "stats"?

mooby

First Post
I have people ask me how fast my computer is, stuff about video cards, and crap like that. I'm completely computer illiterate, so how do I go about finding these things out?

I want to get some new video games, but I want to make sure they'll run smoothly on my computer.

Nine Hands

Explorer
I will assume you are using Windows...

Go to Start...Programs (or all Programs if using Windows XP)....Accessories...System Tools...System Information

The first page has processor (with the type and speed listed). Note, it may be in Mhz vs. Ghz (1000 Mhz = 1 Ghz)

Total Physical Memory is the amount of RAM your system has.

To determine the video card you have, right click on the Desktop and select properties. Goto the Settings tab and the name of the card type and manufacturer should be listed. For more detailed information (such as amount of memory you can try the Advanced button). This is where I may not be able to help anymore. Since I have a Geforce 2 Ti video card, that name appears as a tab when I select the Advanced button. In that page I can see my memory and AGP bus.

Another option, if your system was purchased from a major computer manufacturer you might be able to contact thier tech support webiste and enter in your computers serial number. This option works for my Dell laptop and my older Dell system. Obviously if things were upgraded since you purchased the system, that new stuff will not be known.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Welverin

First Post
Alternatively for Win9x, and I would suspect for newer versions, you could use DirectX Diagnostic. To start it select RUN from the start menu and type DXDIAG.EXE in the dialog box, it will open up on the SYSTEM tab which will have your OS, Processor speed and type, amount of RAM, and DirectX version listed. On the DISPLAY tab your video card will be listed. On the SOUND or MUSIC tabs you'll see what type of sound card you have (though it may not be as clear).

Nine Hands

Explorer
Welverin said:
Alternatively for Win9x, and I would suspect for newer versions, you could use DirectX Diagnostic. To start it select RUN from the start menu and type DXDIAG.EXE in the dialog box, it will open up on the SYSTEM tab which will have your OS, Processor speed and type, amount of RAM, and DirectX version listed. On the DISPLAY tab your video card will be listed. On the SOUND or MUSIC tabs you'll see what type of sound card you have (though it may not be as clear).

Cool, I forgot that utility. I just checked and it works even on my Window 2003 Server system.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads