• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you like your halflings best?

How do you like halflings

• Hobbitty and Tolkienesque

Votes: 111 46.1%
  • D&D 3.X mini-elves

Votes: 46 19.1%
  • Feral Athasian cannibals

Votes: 34 14.1%
  • Devoured whole by a bulette

Votes: 50 20.7%

GreatLemur

Explorer
Basically sick of all demi-humans, here. If you're going to bother to include non-human races in your campaign, you might as well make them interesting, instead of taking one human stereotype and expanding it into a whole species.

Storm Raven

First Post
I chose "eaten by a bulette", but I prefer halflings to be non-existent. They simply don't exist in my current campaign. On the other hand, there aren't any elves, dwarves, gnomes, or orcs in my current campaign either.

Set

First Post
SteelDraco said:
I like my halflings as the setting's Gypsy analogue, wandering from place to place, not really trusted by anybody around them.

I did the same with Gnomes, actually, made them nomadic tinkers that arrive in brightly-colored wagons and put on shows for the marks.

Halflings are all over the map. Half the time, they are plump hobbits, a la Tolkein, the other half they are wannabe Kender (like Lidda, my least favorite iconic, ever). I definitely prefer the unique takes on them, either Athasian cannibals or Eberronian dino-riders.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Mixed into scrambled eggs and cheese. I find that halflings get to dry when on the side.

Wait!!! You didn't ask, "How do you like YOUR halflings?" Nevermind.

The Human Target

Adventurer
GreatLemur said:
Basically sick of all demi-humans, here. If you're going to bother to include non-human races in your campaign, you might as well make them interesting, instead of taking one human stereotype and expanding it into a whole species.

I kinda agree.

But if I'm gonna have halflings, I like 3.5 gypsy thieves the best.

Hairfoot

First Post
jeffh said:
It's odd, in a D&D context, not to give Kender as an option, and mildly disappointing not to mention Faen.
Kenderphiles won't like it, but I can't see any appreciable difference between kender and 3.X halflings, other than kleptomania. And I don't know what Faen are.

Remove ads