• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you like your halflings best?

How do you like halflings

• Hobbitty and Tolkienesque

Votes: 111 46.1%
  • D&D 3.X mini-elves

Votes: 46 19.1%
  • Feral Athasian cannibals

Votes: 34 14.1%
  • Devoured whole by a bulette

Votes: 50 20.7%

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I like Tolkien hobbits of the choices given. But remember what that means. Think of Merri and Pippin at the end of the three books. Hobbits has great strength of will - that's why Bilbo can give up the ring after carrying it for so many years. And if they apply that to doing other things, they can excel. Not through physical might, but by stubborness and force of will.

In my campaign, one group of halflings is the most racist of any intelligent species (including the goblinkin) and have closed the borders to non-halflings, under pain of death with no trial. These are still Tolkien halflings - if pushed to a point where that's what they saw needed to be done to protect themselves.

Thunderfoot said:
Hobbits are furry feeted little round bellies - the kenderesque nancy boys in 3.5 need to have their spleens removed, as do kender...

I HATE kender. They should be feed to a bullette, prefereably to be eaten alive and in as painful a way as possible, or roasting on a spit with a lemon sauce and basil garnish.

Agreed. I hate, hate, hate kender. Not even because I like hobbits - even if I view them as a different race like gnomes, I still don't see why kender wouldn't have been wiped out or at least banned from some civilizations.

Cheers,
=Blue(23)

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Blue said:
I still don't see why kender wouldn't have been wiped out or at least banned from some civilizations.
The Knights of Takhisis tried. The kender fought back so furiously that Ariakan decided not to exterminate them after all.

It's all about how you play them. They really don't have to be jokes.

To me it seems that most people here have just had bad experiences with players goofing around with them.

Frankly I find the DL hate here at times depressing. "Gnomes suck." "DL is a railroad." Sheesh. It's all about how the DM and the players handle it. If you get into it with the wrong attitude of course it's going to suck. The same as with any other setting. :\

Whisper72

Explorer
Why no choice for the eberron, dino-riding semi-feral barbarian sort or the Kenderite's from Dragonlance?

Anyhoo, myself I like the Athasians most...

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
jonesy said:
The Knights of Takhisis tried. The kender fought back so furiously that Ariakan decided not to exterminate them after all.

Lord Toede tried. That didn't work out so well for him. Istar also tried, and the gods dropped a fiery mountain they accidentally misplaced on the city. ;)

It's all about how you play them. They really don't have to be jokes.

I agree. I think a few bad experiences coupled with urban legend on the internet has given them an undeserved bad reputation.

Frankly I find the DL hate here at times depressing. "Gnomes suck." "DL is a railroad." Sheesh. It's all about how the DM and the players handle it. If you get into it with the wrong attitude of course it's going to suck. The same as with any other setting. :\

Agreed. There are more adventures beyond the originals. And believe it or not, some of us have had some great experiences with kender in play.

Kender may not be for everyone (and that's fine!), but no need to post how much you hate them in large, bold letters. Just say that they're not for you, list the reasons, but respect others who do like them.

SteelDraco

First Post
I like my halflings as the setting's Gypsy analogue, wandering from place to place, not really trusted by anybody around them. IMC, most of them are still like this, but there's a population that's effectively been placed on reservations. They're somewhat more like the hobbit image, but they're not very happy about it - staying in one place doesn't agree with them.

Mallus

Legend
I like my halflings converted into a race of serene-yet-curious monkey-men who ride collie dogs, practice king-fu, and form the backbone of my settings Abolitionist movement.

I call them the Hannumin, or Hannu for short. Because they really are the most excellent of monkeys.

Midknightsun

Explorer
Halflings? I'd like them retroactively deleted from reality.

Kender? I'd like them . . . . nevermind, its too horrible to print here.

And yes, I'm sure it has something to do with my experiences. Its not like I can have somebody else's experiences. That would be weird . . .

Remove ads