• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you like your halflings best?

How do you like halflings

• Hobbitty and Tolkienesque

Votes: 111 46.1%
  • D&D 3.X mini-elves

Votes: 46 19.1%
  • Feral Athasian cannibals

Votes: 34 14.1%
  • Devoured whole by a bulette

Votes: 50 20.7%

Roadkill101

Explorer
I prefer mine to be more Tolkinesque only because Tolkien was my first and only inspiration for small peoples until Dragonlance came along. Kender are great for fictional characters but a pain for a GM if role played correctly IMHO. I have no experience with Dark Sun and my experiences with them for 3.x makes them too munchkiney for my tastes. I've yet to see them portrayed as Mckiernans Waerlinga, except perhaps as the wandering gypsy type hafling.
If they have the handle-bar ears, they must have a flattened skull on top for my stein.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The only setting where I tolerate halflings is Mystara. So Tolkien-like is the way to go.

But kender are still a lot more usefull, and yes practical, than they are.

An army of halflings would make me laugh out loud, an army of kender would be scary as hell. :]

hopeless

Adventurer
A Question of Halflings

Hairfoot said:
Or, "Hairfoot flogs a dead horse/riding dog/Bree pony".

As far as I'm concerned Halflings aren't kleptomaniacs, I loathe what 3.5 has done especially with their choice of deities (Not everything is Forgotten Realms inspired!), I think Eberron is a nice touch but it work better if they didn't keep downplaying the original version!

Remove ads