How do you make the Fighters role more interesting?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Is Very Buff considering her 5'2 stature :)
So insult the other fellows' manhood. Not in a vulgar sense, but this:
- The girl - you - is stronger than them
- They can't take a real hit (which you will be happy to provide one as a demonstration)
- Do the Hans und Franz voice - in this case, worse is better - when you call somebody a girly-man; challenge them to prove you wrong.
- Unleash this in-character on one of your allies who is dawdling and stalling and being indecisive ("I'm deciding the best spell to use here!") IRL
- Describe yourself doing things that take Athletics checks or Acrobatics checks; tell your allies to follow you through "the short cut".
- "Gruumsh only claims the best! Show him if you are tough enough!" (Meaning, come over here for a duel with you)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The OP's character has plenty of backstory and personality to go around, it just needs something to hang that on - some dramatic moments, some striking heroics, the odd unexpected display of competence, etc....
The luck of the dice will eventually provide those, assuming the character lasts a while.

Imaro

Legend
Assuming that, yeah, eventually....
...maybe.

And maybe they'll even fit the character, the way the BM's maneuvers or the caster's spells (mostly) do.

The OP isn't asking for mechanical ways to distinguish their character... you brought that into the discussion along with the [sarcasm] really helpful [/end sarcasm] suggestions of go play another game and or go play another class. Are you purposefully thread crapping?

@LegionError121 ... my suggestion would be to take a look at Critical Role on Youtube and pay especially close attention to Grog Strongjaw played by Travis Willingham. He's a Berserker Barbarian so very few mechanical widgets to rely on... yet I'd say Travis does a really good job of making Grog's character and personality both unique and easily shine in a party with numerous casters.

Last edited:

Imaro

Legend
I'm sure he realizes there aren't many left. He's got a background, for instance, that he's leveraged a lot of flavor out of.
But, yeah, this isn't the 5e forum, so other games bear mentioning.

It's not about what forum this is... you've posted numerous times and haven't once addressed what the OP was actually asking for... instead going for sarcastic pot shots at the choice of game and class... why not offer something constructive and within the framework of what the OP asked for?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
OP:
Have you talked over the time management issue (40 minutes to get through a round of combat) with your group and DM?
If you have enough time to leave the table, drive over to a pizza shop, order a pizza, wait for them to cook it, pay, and drive home - and your next turn hasn't come up yet ... something is wrong at the table.

I used to have a player who had a hard time making decisions. Rather than call him out and embarrass him, I began a habit of addressing the table, "Joe, you are at bat. Fred is on deck." Then "Fred, you are at bat. Mary is on deck." and so on around the table (plus myself as the monsters). This gave everybody warning: I'd better figure out what I want to do now. Combat moved faster, nobody had time to get bored, and my individual player wasn't being picked on or singled out - but his play style improved.
(And since I had a table that could be as large as 10, finding ways to get a move on was important.)

I also found it useful to turn the Initiative Counter around so the players, not just me, could see it. It was a visual reminder when the spotlight would be coming their way.

Remove ads