How does your group divide up the treasure?

Jotun

First Post
For the first time, in a very long time, I am playing with a group of my friends and the issue of dividing up the treasure just can't be settled.

How have other groups in the past dealt with this issue? I understand that not all people have this problem and that some people would love to have this problem since they don't even have a group to play with.

As a more advanced question, one of our players is new to roleplaying and has fallen into the trap of wanting all the stuff. It's her character's focus, to get more magical stuff. Outside of sitting her down and talking to her, (many tries, many failures) what are some good ideas for ways to help her put less focus on magical items?

Thanks in advance for all the helpful advice. I love EN World. Morrus rocks my world!

BBrendolfus

First Post
There is an often overlooked chapter in the PHB called 'adventures'(?) that has a fair way of divvying up the loot.

Tell the newbie to stop being greedy or take a hike.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
i play in a group where most of the PCs are NG or CG. magic items are given to the person who can best use it (or needs it the most - like making sure everyone has a magic weapon), and as far as coin, gems or jewelry, nobody cares! if any PC says they want money for any reason, they take it from the group fund (this is usually to upgrade armor or weapons). otherwise, we can depend on the wizard to eat up the rest the funds to aquire spells on scrolls, and buy the inks to put them in his spellbook.

Saint Brendan

First Post
In the campaigns I have been with, items and gold can be a problems. We usually designate one player to carry "party treasure", and all the loot is written down and handled on one piece of paper. When it comes time to divide the loot, we try to keep things fair. For example, if the fighter wants the magical sword, he doesn't get as much gold.

check page 146 of the PH for a similair system.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We divide monetary treasure by the number of party members + 1. This extra share is what pays for inn rooms, tolls, common expenses and the like. It also tends to contribute towards wizard spell inscribing.

Magic items are divided by who can get the most use out of them. We work to fill in weak spots and improve strengths. We also try to be fair and make sure that evferyone has about the same number of "cool" things.

Crothian

First Post
With the magical items we as a group decide what is best for the group. The money we keep together until it's needed then we decide based on what the needs of the group are.

LokiDR

First Post
For specific items, you can use the Living City method. Who ever wants an item all roll a d20. Highest roll gets the item. Repeat for other items. Split money evenly.

For dungeon-craw-ish campaigns, I like the book-even method. Find the book value of all the items and total that with the gold. Every person can choose what they want up to an even share of the loot. If you want an item that is more than your share, you pay into the pot or argue your case.

For more role-playing, I prefer the "whatever suits you" style. If you really need it or it best suits you, then you get it. If it really doesn't fit anyone and no one cares, give it to the person with the best knack for being around when it is needed, or throw it in the party funds. In case of disagreement, debate and try to have a consensus. Money is spilt mostly between members, with just a little for "general expenses". Players are expected to contribute to others, so hording is discouraged. This is the hardest to do, but the best for the party overall, and it lets the DM give items to those that need it.

For the hording character, cursed items, encombrance, and enemies with a sense for magic items might be the best course. If the character is clepto, take your stuff back. If all else fails, ask the person what they would do if a "friend" always stuck them with the bill. When the don't get it, ask them to leave.

fba827

Adventurer
I won't comment just yet on the first part of your question since I wasn't quite sure if the player was doing it because he/she is greedy or if he/she is doing it because it is an in character thing to do (albeit disruptive, it isn't with basis).

However, regarding ...

Jotun said:
As a more advanced question, one of our players is new to roleplaying and has fallen into the trap of wanting all the stuff. It's her character's focus, to get more magical stuff. Outside of sitting her down and talking to her, (many tries, many failures) what are some good ideas for ways to help her put less focus on magical items?

Just a few small points..
a) once the DM starts handing out cursed items (or just magical items surrounded by a trap that wasn't yet completly disarmed), the player may not so readily leap up to grab anything magical
b) if the character of the player in question relies on anyn of the rest of you, hopefully the character can be convienced that it is for the character's own good to share -- he/she won't get very far if he is dead and hording stuff
c) be sure that stacking rules are watched carefully. this may already be done but it will keep the character from taking / wanting two or three different magic items that may provide the same types of bonuses
d) perhaps start getting encumberance rules more carefuly watched (not to the point of excess, but if you emphasize that carrying around lots of stuff can eventually slow a person down it may implant an unconcious awareness to be mindful of carrying too much (and the player can even find the rules of it in the PHB in case he/she ever starts to doubt you ;) -- again, not that it needs to be enforced stricktly, but just a reminder that those rules are there may have an unconcious but beneficial effect)

Jotun said:
Morrus rocks my world!

Umm -- apperently you are better aquainted with Morrus than any of the rest of us are.. ;)

Edit: Apologies in advance, I'm half asleep so I realize some of this comes off as rambles. Hopefully the point is in there somewhere. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads