• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how Dumb

Al

First Post
Ryngard said:
The rule of thumb is take the Int score and multiply by 10.

I.E./ Int 7 x 10 = 70 IQ. So figure roughly Forrest Gump (a little slow but able to excel all the same). I would say complex speech would make them ponder for a time but they should be able to puzzle out what the speaker is saying. This is not 100% accurate but it is the easy way to do it. Read online about IQ scores. The average is something like 80-120 range with 100 being "normal" (i.e. Int 10). Low Int/IQ doesn't mean you have to be a drooling idiot uncapable of thought... it can be expressed in many ways.

Gah!

Despite what the Sage says, modelling IQ as Int x 10 is horrendously inaccurate in mapping on to a 3d6 probability curve. The odds of randomly rolling an 18 Int is 1 in 216. Conversely, the odds of a randomly selected person having an IQ of 180 (or greater) is roughly 1 in 20,000,000* - a magnitude of error of a factor of some 100,000. At the other end, the facile IQ = Int x 10 renders any character of Int 6 or lower as effectively dysfunctional.

A far better model is the approximation IQ = Int x 5 + 70, which maps far more closely onto a 3d6 probability curve

* Assumes a normal distribution curve, when mean = 100 and SD = 15.

Iku Rex

Explorer
Al said:
A far better model is the approximation IQ = Int x 5 + 70, which maps far more closely onto a 3d6 probability curve.
That's not a good approximation. Make it Int x 5 + 50 for a simple formula.

(See my post above.)

Al

First Post
Iku Rex said:
That's not a good approximation. Make it Int x 5 + 50 for a simple formula.

(See my post above.)

Sorry, my mistake. Int x 5 + 50 is what I meant to type, but for some reason my fingers must have gone rogue ;)

Cynic_devine

First Post
A fun way to play up low Int is too make it show when he talks & less about his decision making. A low Int, decent Wis orc barbarian could be pretty savy, but express himself (or herself) is a very funny way. Make him a real chest beater & it could be really fun. I played a neanderthal barbarian that way. It was a blast.

Bront

The man with the probe
werk said:
Ryngard has a nice system there, and I believe there is a table in the PHB or DMG that shows which monsters have what Int score, which is somewhat useful.

I look at it like this...He has a nice penalty on all int based checks and like no skill points, so he's basically going to make a bad decision, if making a decision, and he's basically untrained in all skills. That being said, like Forrest Gump, Int isn't everything, and with other decent stats, the dummy can still be useful/contributing in many ways.

The problem with drawing an analysis is that you have to take out all the other stats that help to make up for the low Int. You could have a low Int and average on all other stats and be completely worthless, or have low Int and high on all other stats and be fine. Hard to draw real world comparisons to game mechanics.
I see bad descisions being more in the realm of Wisdom than Int. Most sitcom dufuses are generaly low in both Wisdom and Int.

High Int, Low Wisdon - Tim Taylor (Tim Allen - Home Improvement)
Low Int, High Wisdom - Pheobe (What's her name - Friends)
Low Int, Low Wisdom - Kelso or Joey
High Int, High Wisdom - Al Borland (Richard Karn - Home Improvement), Wilson (Home Improvement, Ross (Friends)

Note, Al and Ross are both somewhat low charisma, but should not be confused for low into or wisdom (Kelso and Joey are fairly high charisma)

Belbarid

First Post
PrinceZane said:
Well, more than likely the person with the 7 int HOPEFULLY won't be making the party decisions, so you could just sit back, play the comic relief, and hack and slash your way to the bloodied pile of corpses you crave :)

First of all, your tagline is *so* perfect for your post. :)

Secondly, I'm reminded of a line from Alien Ressurection. Something along the lines of "Don't ask me- I mainly just hurt people."

Voadam

Legend
moritheil said:
Actually, I'm not sure I agree with that. Aren't they in the 6-7 range with the same ability mod?

Mechanically the difference comes into play for advancing stats by HD/level and for taking int damage. Also could affect what level power/spell they could potentially know with an int boosting item. Otherwise correct there is no stat penalty difference between a 6 and a 7.

Drew

Explorer
Al said:
Sorry, my mistake. Int x 5 + 50 is what I meant to type, but for some reason my fingers must have gone rogue ;)

Am I the only one that plugged his own IQ into the equation to determine his D&D Intelligence score? Anyone?

Generally speaking, IQ is a poor indicator of what we think of as "Intelligence." There are many things that go into being "smart."

To use myself as an example, I test really high on the verbal battery of standardized IQ tests, but slightly lower on the spacial. In real life, I'm bad at math. Anything beyond basic algebra is challenging to me. I'm poor at directions and envisioning spacial concepts, and sometimes have a hard time remembering things unless prompted. So, like anybody, I'm really good (exceptional even) at some things, and not so good at all at other things.

My D&D INT, based on the above equation, is 15 or 16.

Then again, the D&D INT stat is a pretty generic, abstact expression of intelligence, so its probably a good translation.

Remove ads