D&D General what environments feel lacking in nice people?

ezo

I cast invisibility
so anyway what are the bad-guy themed environments as my mind has decided to betray me once again?
Depending on your game focus (urban or wilderness). Some suggestions (though I'm not certain these are what you mean)....

Urban:
  • for the "darker side of town", seedy back alleys, sewers, abandoned warehouses, cemetaries, garbage dumps, dungeons/ jails, guilds (thieves', assassins', etc.)
  • for the "more respectable areas", businesses used as covers such as merchants, vendors, etc.; taverns/ inns, schools/ temples, abbeys/ churches/ monestaries, dockyards/ ships
  • for the "higher eschelon areas", government offices, merchant/trade guildhouses, fortresses/castles

Wilderness: generally, remote, desolate, "naturally violent", such as:
  • sprawling deserts with shifting sands and lightning storms on a moonlit night
  • mountain peaks shrouded in clouds and swirling winds and distant thunder
  • cracked-earth hills with rivers of lava, smoking pits, and erupting volcanoes
  • murky moors and swamps drapped with vines and cloaked in mists
  • storming sea-pounded cliffsides shaken by crashing waves and howling winds
  • dreary old-wood forest maze of tall, tangles trees, thorny bushes, and twisting paths
  • dark, riotous, steamy jungle-drapped ancient ruins pierced by the cries of beasts
Finally, many of these environments could include good-guys as well, struggling to survive or trying to right the wrongs of the evil present.

Hope it helps.

Yaarel

He Mage
The rejected, neglected, abandoned locales tend to be spooky, creepy, and evil.

However, they are the same locations where there the valuables are that were not at first recognized as valuable.

R_J_K75

Legend
True. ;)
Common Sense Monkey GIF by Travis
There are "Bad Dates" Wherever you go...

" 🎶 There is good and bad, In Everyone 🎶

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Other than the underdark, most environments tend to be neutral. Humans tend to avoid swamps, but there are bayou/delta cultures. Urban environs are pretty bad too

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Any arena where the Los Angeles Lakers are playing is lacking in nice people and I'd love for that to change.

Perhaps not a helpful answer though. I'll see myself out of this thread :)

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Don't forget the Immaterial Planes - the Ethereal and Astral planes can run you into some Blue/Orange morality issues. Then there's the Far Realms. And let's not forget the "Alternate Prime" where everything is flipped.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I'm asking about your beginning. What inspired you to ask the questions here?

Without a basis of the conversation I don't know that I can help
I will star with the classic the shire is green fields and pocket Forrest and mordor is an ash-blasted wasteland one is seem as a good place the other the heart of evil.
I want to catalogue them and reverse them out of boredom and to mix things up.
Any arena where the Los Angeles Lakers are playing is lacking in nice people and I'd love for that to change.

Perhaps not a helpful answer though. I'll see myself out of this thread :)
not american thus I have no idea what you mean?
Don't forget the Immaterial Planes - the Ethereal and Astral planes can run you into some Blue/Orange morality issues. Then there's the Far Realms. And let's not forget the "Alternate Prime" where everything is flipped.
the alternate prime?

to my knowledge the far realm just looks like nothing it just spits out Cthulu rejects randomly

Remove ads