How Important Is Rules Knowledge In Being A Good D&D DM?

Lorne

First Post
While I think having a 'working knowledge' of the rules is necessary (read as: you can handle a basic combat and you know where to look to check infrequently-used rules), I believe that rules expertise takes a back seat to having a sense of dramatic timing and an ability to vividly describe in-game events. You can always check encounter design and practice using rules by running test combats before the players' next session, but if you can't make the game an experience for the players' imaginations, the session will feel flat.

Just my experience,

Lorne

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Lorne said:
I believe that rules expertise takes a back seat to having a sense of dramatic timing and an ability to vividly describe in-game events.

I can't agree wholeheartedly with that. Its my experience that nothing will kill your dramatic timing quicker than having to look up a rule. If you learn the rules first, the sense of timing and whatnot will follow.

T. Foster

First Post
I think rules knowledge is an extraordinarily important part of being a good GM -- ideally the GM should have the entire rule set internalized/memorized, or at least close to it -- the GM doesn't necessarily be able to instantly recall the exact descriptions of every spell, monster, and magic item, but he should at least know the basics, and be able to look up the specifics with minimal delay when necessary. At very least the GM needs to know the rules at least as well as or better than all of the players. Which isn't the same thing as saying that the GM must follow or use all of the rules -- effective and appropriate house-ruling (knowing when to go beyond or change the rules, and how to go about doing so in a way that improves, rather than damages, the play experience) is IMO another big part of being an expert GM -- but his deviations from the RAW should always be conscious and deliberate.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I DM'ed a campaign for 2+ years and I thought I knew the rules well enough.

In the group I'm currently playing with, I am only a player, and two of the others players know the rules wayyyyyyyyyyy better than I ever did. If/when I start running games for them, I believe I will need to study up on the rules to adequately hold my own.

That said, if I start running and screw up the rules, I don't think the players would bite my head off. It would be different if one of them were a true Rules Lawyer.

Wraith Form

Explorer
N00b DM to 3.5 here. I ran a few limited adventures back in 2nd Ed days, and I've been reading D&D books in general since 1984.

Reading this post is really disenheartening for those of us with a crappy memory, a short attention span (can you say ADD?) and not much free time.

I have neither a good sense of dramatic timing nor a tactical mind, and memorizing a 300 page hardcover (or two of them if you include parts of the DMG) is out of the question.

I'm not stupid, I just can't remember that sheer volume of info. I've been running 3.5 games for...a little less than a year, mostly pre-published adventures with my own side-plots thrown in. It's been a challenge, I hafta admit....there are some nights I really don't wanna run this game at all.

Makes me wanna throw in the towel right here and now.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I'd say at least 75% of being a good DM is knowing the rules. No expects you to know EVERYTHING, but enough that when you say "This is what the rules say." people believe you.

Illirion

First Post
I'm not very good with the rules. But I am probably the person with the best knowledge of the rules in our group. That may change now that we're having a new player come over next session, but anyway, I don't think that my lack of rules knnowledge make me a worse DM. It merely means I have to perpare more for each session and my players generally face monsters and stuff that doesn't require me to memorize a whole lot.

For the most recent BBEG in our game, I went overboard and made a vampire caster! I even kept it easy for myself and made him a sorcerer, but as in your situation, I wasn't really able to make it work. I kept forgetting effects and stuff I should have used. Particularly his ability to summon wolves and to dominate others (that would have made the whole thing a lot more challenging). But afterwards, my players defeated him by the use of mirrors and driving him into a corner. The vampire was forced to evaporate and return to the coffin and then they quickly went searching for the coffin and destroyed it. They said it was the best encounter they ever had and it was the best campaign moment ever :\ .

So my advice: Don't beat yourself up about a lack of rules knowledge, just use the stuff that you DO know to it's full extent.

Cheers,
Illirion.

Drowbane

First Post
TarionzCousin said:
I DM'ed a campaign for 2+ years and I thought I knew the rules well enough.

In the group I'm currently playing with, I am only a player, and two of the others players know the rules wayyyyyyyyyyy better than I ever did. If/when I start running games for them, I believe I will need to study up on the rules to adequately hold my own.

That said, if I start running and screw up the rules, I don't think the players would bite my head off. It would be different if one of them were a true Rules Lawyer.

Speaking of which...

Planescape? :D

Sigurd

First Post
I make no pretense at being a great DM but I have 'directed' multiple sessions in a dozen or so different role playing games. One of the difficulties for many people I think is that they have only 'DMed' one system. Playing more than one set of rules reveals what skills are common between two evenings. Knowledge of a game systems rules is vital to DMing but its the skills that exist for all role playing games that are the most important.

Fairness - sometimes at the expense of the RAW.
Imagination - sometimes in spite of the prepared or intended game path.
Readyness - even when you are not really prepared.
Empathy - cause the game aint the paper.
"Futuresense" - This is a tough one - what decisions will bite you in the ass later.

I think those are the core of being a good Games Master. In a way I think D20 is a victim of its own success. I miss the days when D&D had more competition and it was not automatic that you would be playing a D20 system. I still reread my White Dwarfs and other old magazines for gaming ideas. A good idea is much more rare than a good rule - you can reuse a rule.

Sigurd

Last edited:

Wraith Form

Explorer
Sigurd said:
Playing more than one set of rules reveals what skills are common between two evenings. Knowledge of a game systems rules is vital to DMing but its the skills that exist for all role playing games that are the most important.
This is a good point. As sucky as I feel I am at d20, I have also run a few BRP Call of Cthulhu games and 1) done well, and 2) know the rules cold.

Remove ads