How Long to Hear Back about an Article Submission

The_Universe

First Post
So, I wrote the queries (and am preparing to write more), heard back from the editor, wrote the articles, proofread them, and then submitted them by the stated deadline.

What happens next? I submitted my finished drafts to the editor on the 5th of december - is it normal for a month to pass before you hear anything? Will I ever hear anything?

Someone with more experience, please fill me in!

Thanks!

IronWolf

blank
I would not think it uncommon for some time to pass between submission of an article and hearing a response back. Publishers are a busy group of people, factor in the holiday season and the length of time one would expect to hear back from a submission would lengthen. I certainly wouldn't be panicking that I hadn't heard back within a month from initial article submission.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Sometimes it can be quickly, sometimes a great deal of time. A good rule of thumb is to write off the entire month of December just off the bat: Between Thanksgiving and New Years, a lot of people are very, very busy and things get backed up.

I've had people get back to me in a week, sometimes in three months or longer. I'd say after 60-75 days without a word, you might make a polite, very short inquiry.

I just had an adventure appear in Dungeon ("Throne of Iuz," Dungeon 118).
Here's the timeline as I remember it:
Late December 2003 -- Submit first query letter with adventure details. Disclosure form included.
January 2004 -- Send check-up letter with query letter and disclosure form attached
A few days later -- Get approval to work on adventure.
Every month thereafter -- Send updates explaining progression of adventure.
May 2004 -- First draft submitted with maps.
Early July 2004 -- Got detailed note from James Jacobs on changes needed. Includes need to rewrite the entire opening, add some monsters and attach Greyhawk angle.
Early August 2004 -- Return with second draft. With appendix on needed reprints from Sword & Fist, Monster Manual II and Stronghold Builder's Workbook.
Late September 2004 -- A few additional questions trickle in from Jacobs. Response sent out immediately.
December 2004 -- Publication.
-------------
That's a long timeline at first glance. But you should remember that I work a full-time job, welcomed a new baby into the family and went on two vacations in that time. I also submitted my first and second drafts in the middle of convention season.
Likewise, articles queries submitted in November and December have to fight through Thanksgiving, Christmas shopping, Hannukah, Christmas and New Year's celebrations -- all of which trigger a TON of vacation time in every industry. Give it time.
-------------
My previous two adventures had varying times:
"Buzz in the Bridge" (Dungeon 110) -- Submitted in September 2003, Published in Feb. 2004.
"Racing the Snake" (Dungeon 105) -- Queried in September 2000 (I think) and published in October 2003. Now that's a loooong time. I think it went through three editors.

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
Congrats on your latest appearance in Dungeon, Mighty Halfling!

The response times for gaming material seem better overall than for fiction - check out the Black Hole for response data for various fiction markets. 90 days is the average for Asimov's, for example.

Remove ads